Don't knok it till you tried it

FAN

Hey guys, not to burst your bubble,
BUT, the descussion has already passed who the mother should be,Marion's still the best choice in my opinion,
we have bassed alot of this on the principle the Indy did'nt know he had a son, and I figure Marion would make a great deal more sense in this role, because Willie seems the type to me that if she got pregnant she would be chasing Indy around for help and child support, where's Marion is the type who would be mad Indy dumped her again so she would convenantly forget to inform Indy that they had a son. I don't know if you guy's read through all the pages on this thread, but if you didn't you should. You'll find it very interesting, and it may bring you up yo spead.
Your welcome to descuss it with me and Wolfgang,
FAN

wolfgang

Well, i don't think thats the reason why harrison Ford didn't liked the idea, i mean, it ir were, then why didn't he worried about Henry in last crusade? How about this, I mena, even if we know he own't be having it, well, at first he shows up with henry as its been said, then he goes to the mission with his son, then he brings whatever he wanted to henry and there 9indy already knowing its his son) he ontroduces him to the granfather!kinda lame, but I'll get better as we go again

FAN

Like you said kinda lame, so was mine.
I think that alot of people exspect Indy's son to take over and show Indy up, but I imagined him differant. Sort like he know's how to get the better part of an arguement and say stuff to shut Indy or others up, and to a point can take care of himself, but really if it werent for the fact that Indy were around he would be in a lot more trouble then he ussualy is. He obviosly need's Indy's help, and to Indy sort of takes him under his wing. I think that when Indy's son find's out a good way through the film that Indy's hia dad, he may get mad and strike out on his own at first, but then is forced for whatever reason to join up with Indy. People say this sort of a story line his extra baggage that need's to be detached, but after all any archeologist in the movies has a suitcase, a back back, a fanny pack, ect . . . I think it would work fine. Okay I am starting to get back on the ball again. Write back soon, FAN

FAN

You still with me Wolfgang? If so write me back or are you on another trip? Anyway write soon, FAN

FAN

Hey Wolfgang,
you havent written for a while so I'll just keep writing in hope that you'll write back. Like I said Indy's son shouldnt know Indy's his dad for most of the movie. Do you think he will be mad that Indy's his dad? And will Indy's son resent the new Indy girl when he finds out Indy's his dad? What do you think? FAN and JC

wolfgang

Well, i have an idea, I don't think he'll be mad....he'll just be shocked...though I think he should know really, but if he didn't know in that case, when he finds out, he'll go like "Oh, so thats why Im like this!" or something...then he falls for indy's girl...HEY! how about this? WHile he doesn't know, him and indy are fighting for the girl!!It'll be ironic because indy'll be like "you can't your my son" but the son doesn't know that so he'll be like "Hey, step away old man!"

FAN

I never thought about that. Hmm, but wouldnt Indy's girl be in he thirties or so while Indys son be in his mid teens? I think that Indy's son may have a little resentment towards Indy because of the way his mother probably would have talked about him. by the way I put a profile of Indy's son from my point of view at your thread about favorite character's. FAN and JC

FAN

Hmmm, perhaps he dosent really have a crush on her, he just wants to bug this older archeologist who keeps getting over protective of him at and acting like Mr.Cool.
But I don't think he seroiusly is in love or romantic with her. I think that if Indy has a son they should make Indy IV, V, and VI so we could get to know him better. And in the IV and V Indy's son could not have any inclination to date or romance ( other then perhaps occasionaly bugging his dad ) and in the last one the tables are turned and Indy's son find's the girl of his dreams and but dad who is a great romancer, archeologist, ect . . . keep's comming in and ruinning the moment, ( not to get to Star Wars like but similar to C-3PO in the Empire Strikes Back who kept walking in at the moment it should really start sparking ). But I don't think Indy's son should take over his dad's romance trademark. I think the big three and others are worried Indy's son will take over the Indy legacy, but that's not how I ever thought of it. I think that if they threw are thoughts into it and didn't stray they would have a great story. I think Harrison Ford would make a great on screen dad ( on screen that is, I like my dad just as he is in real life ). Talk later, this is a great topic to exsplore the love life of Indy's son. Give me your thoughts, FAN and JC

Attila the Professor

Staff member
wolfgang said:
Well, i have an idea, I don't think he'll be mad....he'll just be shocked...though I think he should know really, but if he didn't know in that case, when he finds out, he'll go like "Oh, so thats why Im like this!" or something...then he falls for indy's girl...HEY! how about this? WHile he doesn't know, him and indy are fighting for the girl!!It'll be ironic because indy'll be like "you can't your my son" but the son doesn't know that so he'll be like "Hey, step away old man!"

That sounds quite a bit like the whole "human as the next man"/"I was the next man" deal from LC.

FAN

To a point your right Attila the Proffessor, however Indy need's a little mortality around him, a son would do this, and Indy's son needs a lot of mortality about him. FAN and JC

Adventurer

I´m sorry FAN, but i couldn´t find the specific "DEBATE" thead you mentioned. So i will continue with this single post here as it is at least on topic.

Ok, to beat a dead horse:

I´ll quote bob here:

posted by bob on 06-13-2003: The Indiana Jones series should not turn into some sort of soap opera or family epic concerning the Indy dynasty.

The cast of supporting characters in Indy that can realisticly be brought back are Sallah and Dad having the whole supporting cast involved is a little silly to say the least; who really wants willy back outisde of Indy circles?; who even wants Marion back outside of the fans?
And why do we want them back, so we can cheer for the first two times we see it?

As for the son/daughter the Indy series if the bringing on of sidekicks etc continues will discredit the Indy series as a proper action series and instead it will be a family film. Having a son would just be a repeat of LC at best except slightly inverted and cynics among us may believe that a son/daughter is just a rather cynical way to keep the cash cow going by moving it onto younger blood.

The Indiana Jones films are about the adventures of Indiana Jones not the Joneses

That does completely cover it.

I´ll try to add something nontheless.
Imagine this: In the beginning of the film, you see, for example, IJ fighting with the boyfriend of, for example, Marion. This storyline then will be scattered through the movie. Presumably, this won´t be the main storyline, but this sub-story will appear here and there. Maybe he will have an argument about the lost son with Marion. Here a bit and there a bit and in the end, he will finally knock his rival out or something like that.

Now imagine this:
He saved the world at least twice, found the Ark, the Grail, and was nearly incinerated, drowned, shot at, and chopped into fish bait half a dozen times. He thinks about things like how he will get away alive of that chain before he will be squished by that tank.

Can you imagine this person highly involved in a nitpicking conversation where one person yells at the other: "No. No. It´s all your fault! Why did you have not [listened to me/ send me NM/insert your argument of choice] back then?" Answer: "Nooo. You are wrong. IT´S YOURS!" or things like that?
Doesn´t sound very epic, does it? What i want to add/say is, a IJ film with a content like that will miss scale on a grand scale (no pun intended).

[Edited by Adventurer on 08-12-2003 at 01:28 pm]

Indyologist

Yes, IMHO I can imagine Indy "nickpicking" about these things because no matter how "epic" his character he is still a human being that gets annoyed, angry and upset. I mean, you have to show that Indy does have a "real life" in the "real world." The stay-at-home-and-teach Indy is just as vital as the globe-trotting-adventurous Indy, although most of the movies are action. It's just fun to see the other side of the Indy coin. We want him to be "epic" but we also want him to be human. Otherwise, he'd just be Lara Croft-- an exciting but flat, one dimentional-character. Well, maybe she's not flat-- in the chest, anyway. ;)

Also, I'm WAY for Marion in Indy IV. You guys know that. I personally don't think that Willie was nor will ever be a serious romantic influence on Indy. She did have moxy, by God, but she was way too flighty for Indy, I feel.

Adventurer

Interesting point of view. If i get you right, you´re talking about a too perfect person. James Bond? ;) You´re right. The character would become flat.

If that´s the case, this discussion would ultimately come down to subjective preference(if this isn´t the case already) as to when the very, very thin border from nitpicking to ridiculous will be crossed.
For the example i gave in the last post, the latter is the case imho. But, maybe it is all about the presentation of such a sentence (situation, mood, etc). Somehow, the audience has to buy it.

FAN

Adventer,
How about this, why don't you instead of looking at all the problem's, ect . . . come up with your own stuff about the personality, character, ect . . . of Indy's son. This is one of the reason's why I put this thread up, not to argue yea or nay, but rather to find out what other people came up with about Indy having a son. Inquing mind's would like to know. Can't to a smilie with my computer otherwise I would do one winking at you. Can't wait to here what you come up with, FAN and JC