Online relationships

Iandiana

ValenciaGrail said:
Reality check: you are citing a movie here, not real life. That’s exactly what leads to disappointment for many people; life is not a nice, neat 2 hour movie. We enjoy watching movies precisely because they are so different from real life. Exhibit ‘A’: archaeologists who use bullwhips and fight off the Nazi army with just their fists... in another film I could mention :)

Your post was really well written and while I appreciate intelligent discourse I can help but feel "Reality Check" is quite insulting. Believe me after 31 years I've had harsher reality checks than having someone tell me to pull my head out of my arse. My comment was stating that even in the 1940's the concept of 2 people falling in love through correspondence was evident. Wether or not it was in a film or not is unimportant but the idea of it was present. And as for movies being different from real life? In the realms of the fantastic (sci-fi, adventure etc.) sure but in the dramatic and even the romantic not as much. Especially given everyone who falls in love has a story that could very easily be turned into a feature film.

ValenciaGrail said:
Yes, true love IS cheapened by superficial physical attraction, but it is trivialized just as much by tossing it in the same scrap heap “How To Guides to the intros to every 80's TV show”. These are items which get used, then get lost and/or thrown out. Human life and love is a different animal altogether.

And to clarify: How To Guides - EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE INTERNET - Intros To Every 80's TV Show. I was aiming to point out that ANYTHING and almost everything can be found on the net. I've loved and lost 5 times in total and am currently going through a bizarre situation of late - trust me I know all about the human animal.

Although many thanks. I believe I now know how to double quote a post.

ValenciaGrail

Your post was really well written and while I appreciate intelligent discourse I can help but feel "Reality Check" is quite insulting. Believe me after 31 years I've had harsher reality checks than having someone tell me to pull my head out of my arse.

Yup...yup....I'm rereading my post again, and guilty on that count. It WAS a bit "bull in a china shop"

The comment was intended only in the spirit of healthy debate / exchange, which is never well served by insults.

Let the record show that I am editing the post to delete the "Reality check" preamble from the statement :)

But my only point here is that you used an example from a film to prove a point in which you would have been better served to use a real life example, no more.

Although many thanks. I believe I now know how to double quote a post

And I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.....

westford

Congrats bonoferox!

The_Raiders, I met a guy through the forum on TheForce.Net. Like you, I wasn't expecting to find love in such a random place (and yes, admitting to meeting that special someone on a Star Wars discussion forum is akin to having a flashing neon sign saying "geek alert" floating above my head :rolleyes: ). I've heard all the "online dating's a bit desperate"-type comments too, but isn't it better to follow your heart and take a chance on someone you meet online (or anywhere else for that matter) than be lonely? We'll be getting married later this year, just over 6 years since our first date (to a Star Wars exhibition, did I mention the geek thing? :eek: ).

Anyway, when you do meet up with the girl in question, I hope you both hit it off like 'Az' and myself did. As for the post about expecting someone to look like their avatar - mine was Boba Fett and his was Jabba the Hutt, so expectations were pretty low! ;)

You can meet the most wonderful people online. I've never met anyone of any true substance in person.

Of course online it's much easier for the other person to turn their back and rip out your ****ing heart.

Bitter?

No...

**** online relationships.

bonoferox

Thanks everyone :)

And to Resident Alien, yes, I know the feeling exactly. But thankfully that person turned their back otherwise I wouldn't have met the one I'm spending the rest of my life with. Online dating can be a really serious gamble at times.

We start our honeymoon tomorrow and she has seeing IJ4 on her list :)

Last edited:

ValenciaGrail

bonoferox said:
Thanks everyone :)

And to Resident Alien, yes, I know the feeling exactly. But thankfully that person turned their back otherwise I wouldn't have met the one I'm spending the rest of my life with. Online dating can be a really serious gamble at times.

We start our honeymoon tomorrow and she has seeing IJ4 on her list :)

And I thought I was lucky when I got my wife to go fishing and horseback riding on our honeymoon....

Mazel Tuv!

The_Raiders

westford said:
Congrats bonoferox!

The_Raiders, I met a guy through the forum on TheForce.Net. Like you, I wasn't expecting to find love in such a random place (and yes, admitting to meeting that special someone on a Star Wars discussion forum is akin to having a flashing neon sign saying "geek alert" floating above my head :rolleyes: ). I've heard all the "online dating's a bit desperate"-type comments too, but isn't it better to follow your heart and take a chance on someone you meet online (or anywhere else for that matter) than be lonely? We'll be getting married later this year, just over 6 years since our first date (to a Star Wars exhibition, did I mention the geek thing? :eek: ).

Anyway, when you do meet up with the girl in question, I hope you both hit it off like 'Az' and myself did. As for the post about expecting someone to look like their avatar - mine was Boba Fett and his was Jabba the Hutt, so expectations were pretty low! ;)

That's awesome! Wow, alot of marriges going on :p , I hope your wedding goes really great (y) Yeah I've been talking to this girl on the phone alittle bit more, MOST BEAUTIFUL, SWEETEST VOICE EVER!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . It is true online dating can be tough, like anything happens to your computer your communication with can be severed :eek: , My computer isn't hooked up so I'm using a friends, and it feels TERRIBLE not being able to talk to my girl, but at least we have phones now (y) .