• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Drones33

Lovely looking jacket (y) Westeds pre distressed is really nice these days. I agree with Major West and Emtiem, the more you wear it the better. It?ll conform nicely to your shape. Glad the shower treatment worked for you.

dakota

Drones33 said:
emtiem said:
I'm curious: has anyone gone for a Wested Skyfall? I rather like the idea of what looks like a slightly more fitted Indy-ish style jacket.
It looks great here in Shrunken Lamb:

My Wested Skyfall in shrunken lamb. Nice jacket, very slim fit though...
skyfall_1_by_00177840-dcd2ccj.jpg

Looks great, I have the Wested Skyfall in the original rossetta cow hide (same a the stock photo on the wested website), slightly darker russet brown in colour and a bit heavier but very nice trim fit.

I also own a Levis LVC 1930 Menlo jacket which the wested version is based on and I would say that the perfect leather for this would be the shrunken lamb in the Raiders Hero shade of dark brown in my opinion.

The wested version is a steal at under £200 for OTR compaired to the Levis LVC at £500 plus if you can even still find them.

dakota

dakota said:
Drones33 said:
Looks great, I have the Wested Skyfall in the original rossetta cow hide (same a the stock photo on the wested website), slightly darker russet brown in colour and a bit heavier but very nice trim fit.

I also own a Levis LVC 1930 Menlo jacket which the wested version is based on and I would say that the perfect leather for this would be the shrunken lamb in the Raiders Hero shade of dark brown in my opinion.

The wested version is a steal at under £200 for OTR compaired to the Levis LVC at £500 plus if you can even still find them.

Here's a photo of my Wested Skyfall......

dakota

Drones33 said:
Lovely. That?s the first time I?ve seen Rosetta cow.

Thanks Drones, I did still think that the best hide for the Skyfall is the shrunken lamb so much so, I may even purchase another one in this hide.

Yours looks fantastic mate, the shade, the drape of the leather just suits the 1930s style so well.

The Levis LVC Menlo is made from a thin, light sheepskin with a polyester lining so it can be quite warm in hot weather.

I would say that the Rossetta hide is quite supple for cow and is a good intermediate weight, somewhere between the lamb and regular cow so would be good for spring & autumn but a bit too hot for summer.

You probably get away with it in winter if not too cold with a layer underneath but as this style is pretty trim I think you would struggle to be honest.

One question, was your Skyfall off the rack or custom also, did you have a choice in the shade of brown used for the shrunken lamb eg, Raiders brown or not and finally, what size is your jacket.

I'm thinking if I decide to go with another Skyfall I would probably go custom and use the measurements from my existing wested as it fits really well.

Drones33

Thanks Dakota, yeah they?re a really nice vintage design and as you say, excellent value. Something similar from Aero or Simmonsbilt would set you back about £700.
I bought mine a few years ago off the rail, size 40. I?m 5?11? and was about 11.5 stone at the time, so you can see how slim fit it is. Westeds OTR Skyfall now comes in shrunken lamb as standard, which is nice for £189, but the sizing is a little different from the looks of things; instead of going by chest size they?re simply small, medium and large, with small being a 38/40 judging from the size guide. So yeah, I agree, if I were to get another ( and I?m seriously considering it now that I?ve seen yours in Rosetta!) I?d have to go up a size as I?m a little heavier than I was, so custom would be the way for me too.
With regard to the colour I had no option, they just used the batch that they had at the time. Might be worth asking.
If you?re interested check out my instagram, there are quite a few pics of the rest of my leather jacket collection, mostly Indy jackets, mostly Wested, but there are a few other odds n ends as well. I?m rogue_too (y)

emtiem

My Skyfall arrives tomorrow: I'm ridiculously excited! :)
(Nervous too: it's hard to be sure you get the measurements right)

I admit I tried bidding on a real Levis Menlo over the weekend because they do look rather beautiful (even if sometimes the distressing can look a little fake and odd) but it went for about £660, which although is actually quite a good price for one of those, was a bit over what I feel I can justify on spending on a jacket!
They should really put it back in production though; it seems very popular.

I see there are a couple of Bill Kelso Raiders jackets on eBay at the moment.

emtiem

dakota said:

How do you find the two compare? Obviously the Wested is a cheaper jacket and the leather is a very different look, but is it a reasonable stab towards the feel/fit of the Menlo?

I don't really mind as I'm not necessarily looking for an exact Menlo replica, but I'd be curious to hear how they compare from someone who has both.

Major West

That striated lamb Kelso Raiders on ebay is quite tempting, although it looks a bit too brown for my liking in the pictures. I think Kelso recently made his striated leather a bit browner to adhere to some behind the scenes pictures and film which make the jacket appear to be browner, but I'm not a fan of the look. It should be a deep darker brown really. The Relic Hunters from a few years back look just perfect to me.

emtiem

It looks very nice quality indeed, but I'm not sure it's a perfect replica of the Raiders jacket. The Westeds in lamb look closer to me in terms of drape.
Not sure about that lighter coloured stitching either.

dakota

emtiem said:
How do you find the two compare? Obviously the Wested is a cheaper jacket and the leather is a very different look, but is it a reasonable stab towards the feel/fit of the Menlo?

I don't really mind as I'm not necessarily looking for an exact Menlo replica, but I'd be curious to hear how they compare from someone who has both.

To be honest I would say the fit is pretty similar on both the Menlo and the Wested apart from the length of the sleeves on the Levis being good inch to inch and half longer (this seems to be a trait on all the Menlo jackets).

Measurements are almost identical on both jackets however the label sizing to doesn't really marry up to the measurements.

The Wested is labelled as a size 42" but measures more like a size 44" with a P2P of 24 inches, the Menlo is labelled as an XL but has the same P2P measurement of 24 inches also.

As for the leather, the Menlo is made from a dark brown thin sheepskin which has the usual LVC distressing (the amount of distressing was different on each jacket run also as the lining, being gold on the early runs and a more orange tint on the later runs) and has a nice drape but can be quite warm due to the polyester lining if the weather is hot.

The Wested is made from the Rossetta cow hide which is more chestnut in colour and I would say is somewhere between in thickness, the shrunken lamb and the standard cow hide that Wested provides.

Personally, for this style of jacket and the trim fit, I would say that the best hide would be the shrunken lamb giving the best all round fit for drape and comfort.

As for the shade of the hide, from what Drones has mentioned, you don't get an option it's just what Wested have in stock at the time.

Ideally, the Raiders Hero shade of shrunken lamb would be the most SA colour but I'm not sure Wested would give you the option, maybe if you were ordering a custom made Skyfall they would but OTR jackets would probably be in the standard shade I'm guessing.

Hope that helps.

emtiem

dakota said:
To be honest I would say the fit is pretty similar on both the Menlo and the Wested apart from the length of the sleeves on the Levis being good inch to inch and half longer (this seems to be a trait on all the Menlo jackets).

Measurements are almost identical on both jackets however the label sizing to doesn't really marry up to the measurements.

The Wested is labelled as a size 42" but measures more like a size 44" with a P2P of 24 inches, the Menlo is labelled as an XL but has the same P2P measurement of 24 inches also.

As for the leather, the Menlo is made from a dark brown thin sheepskin which has the usual LVC distressing (the amount of distressing was different on each jacket run also as the lining, being gold on the early runs and a more orange tint on the later runs) and has a nice drape but can be quite warm due to the polyester lining if the weather is hot.

The Wested is made from the Rossetta cow hide which is more chestnut in colour and I would say is somewhere between in thickness, the shrunken lamb and the standard cow hide that Wested provides.

Personally, for this style of jacket and the trim fit, I would say that the best hide would be the shrunken lamb giving the best all round fit for drape and comfort.

As for the shade of the hide, from what Drones has mentioned, you don't get an option it's just what Wested have in stock at the time.

Ideally, the Raiders Hero shade of shrunken lamb would be the most SA colour but I'm not sure Wested would give you the option, maybe if you were ordering a custom made Skyfall they would but OTR jackets would probably be in the standard shade I'm guessing.

Hope that helps.

That's really interesting: thanks for the info. It's certainly very interesting to hear that the cuts are very close- I must say I think the Wested does really seem to catch the shape of the Menlo very well.

Mine turned up last week! I was very excited, and I think I'm really very happy with it. I went for pre-distressed lamb as I'd seen a couple online and I thought they looked great. Not hugely similar to the Menlo in terms of the leather look, but I'm not bothered about having a replica as such; just a nice jacket! I did manage to inevitably get the sleeves a bit too long (I didn't gamble on the shoulders hanging over my actual shoulders as far as they do) but it's not a disaster and they may well gather up my half an inch or so given some wear, and I'd rather too long than too short!
The leather is extremely soft: softer than even the usual lamb I'd say- it's really lovely to the touch and has a great smell! It almost feels like some sort of polystyrene or something: it's that soft.
I'm probably in two minds about the pre-distress: I think on the whole it looks great and love the more worn edges which give it a great depth, but perhaps in the more flat areas, if you were being harsh, it has a slight fakey stone-washed sort of look...? I don't hate it at all but was a little uncertain: I'm sure I'll come to love it! I tend to think you may well be right about the shrunken lamb being a good fit for this jacket: with some natural wear I think that would look great.
Overall the fit is really lovely though: I think I just might prefer it slightly to my Raiders jackets! :)

The phone pictures give it a new-looking sheen of reflectance that genuinely isn't there when you look with the naked eye: I was confused even looking at the phone screen and comparing with the real thing in front of me! Plus you'll also notice how hard it is to get a colour match with the various lightings.

Skyfall_My_Distressed.jpg

dakota

I think your Skyfall looks really great, the fit looks perfect and I don't think the sleeves are too long at all plus, they will probably ride up a little once the creasing around the elbow area starts to set in.

The Levis Menlo has really long sleeves for the design so the Wested has it nailed on length I think.

Even though I have a Wested Skyfall in the rosetta cowhide, I am seriously considering ordering another in the shrunken lamb as I love the 1930s design/style of the jacket so much.

Wear it well my friend, it will most certainly look and feel better with time.

emtiem

Thank you; you?re very kind. Yes I know what you mean; I think this is a stunning design and looks beautiful, no matter which film it?s based on! And it?s a total bargain compared to other jackets available in this style. For my money it?s the best shape that Wested do, although I obviously love bashing around in my Indys!
I must say I also very much fancy their Whisky jacket, based on the latest Kingsman film. It?s rather like a Cossack jacket which Levi?s LVC are making now and is a pretty cool style.

If you do get a shrunken lamb be sure to pop some pics up for us to ogle! :) There?s a photo of a Skyfall in shrunken on Wested?s instagram and it looks fantastic; I could well be tempted myself!

dakota

Now that looks very, very nice indeed.....

I have already emailed Wested regarding the sizing on their stock Skyfall jackets in the default shrunken lamb.

I measured my existing Skyfall and sent the measurements over asking to them to compare them to a size 44" (Large) OTR to see if the sizing would be suitable or whether I would need to go down the custom route.

Depending on what comes back from Wested and as the stock jacket is currently at £189 and a custom at £209, for an extra £20 and a choice of leather plus wait time so will just have to see.

If the shrunken lamb is the same batch/colour/shade used for stock & custom jackets and the stock sizes suit, I will probably go with that as there should be no wait time for OTR.

I'll let you know the outcome.....

Drones33

Wow. Emtiem that looks beautiful in distressed lamb. Even better than the shrunken lamb, I?d say. Excellent choice. I am VERY tempted. Might have to wait a little while before pulling the trigger on that one though, I?ve a Rocketeer on order from Wested (birthday prezzie from Wife), so I?m pretty excited for that, but as I say, that Skyfall does look tempting...
Thanks for posting the pics(y)

emtiem

A Rocketeer! How fun; what leather is that in? I hope you?ll show us! :)

I just saw one of the original Rocketeer helmets on show in London: I was very excited to see it! :)