Hadrian's Wall (England)

Michael24

I was hoping somebody could give me some information about Hadrian's Wall in Northern England. If I'm able to visit England this summer, I'd love to stop by during my travels to see Robin Hood Tree, located along the route of Hadrian's Wall. I found a website for the wall's trail, but I can't seem to find any particular information on exactly how to locate the tree. I read that it's located at Sycamore Gap, just past Milecastle 38. Is there any way to reach that location easily (like a nearby parking lot or other location you can park at then make a short walk to), or does one have to hike along the length of the wall in order to get to it?

Also, I saw mention of a Robin Hood Inn supposedly in a nearby place called Newcastle upon Tyne, but could not determine if it's a real location or not. Any help there as well? Thanks.

adventure_al

Firstly get yourself to Scotland, we have real history not robin hood fairytales! ;)

honestly the castles and historic sights of scotland are far superior and were the sites for real historical adventures not something out a story book.

Its just a big rotting tree that theyve made some sort of tourist gimmick because of the stories.

Secondly, I think it is near Nottingham (nottingham forrest and all that.) but if it is indeed near newcastle you better find out where thats a big place!

I take it you've been on the official website?: http://www.hadrians-wall.org/

thats best bet for info.

where are you travelling from? because if you are coming to the UK make the effort to visit Scotland. England is over rated and full of dirty big cities.

G-Man

Michael,

I'll talk to my dad, he has walked the stretch where the tree is... It's not a long walk to find it...

G-Man

Here's a link to multimap of the location of the tree...

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map=55.0041923752813,-2.37519023059841|15|4&loc=GB:55.0041923752813:-2.37519023059841:15&dp=841

The parking is about 1 mile West of the tree, there is a path that runs along the wall to the dip where the tree is...

Seventh picture down here is of the gap.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/hadrianswall/hadwall2.htm

Also, despite being from Leeds England, I agree with Al, get yourself up to Scotland it is pretty amazing...

adventure_al

Admitadely and unbelievably I've not actually managed down to see the wall myself. I think I ought to check it out! Very helpful information there G-man.

I'm glad you agreed though so I don't seem bias, up north there are some great sites to visit.

Michael24

Thanks for the info, everybody. I don't know exactly where all I'll be visiting while I'm there (if I even go in the first place), but I'm just trying to get some info on places I already know of. And my money is going to be extremely tight, so I probably won't be able to even go beyond England while visiting. I'd love to see some sights in Scotland, but it probably won't be possible. A friend recently moved to St. Albans, so I'll be staying with them to save money not needing a hotel, and the places I go will have to be not too far away. I could maybe afford to go a few hours out from there and stay the night somewhere, but not much longer than one night.

G-Man

St Albans, is a great place, one of my best friends lives there, however Hadrian's wall is about 5-6 hours drive north of St Albans...

If you want Roman remains, there are plenty in St Albans

***hayleyrox***

hi, wow i've never noticed this thread (probably because im new :p) , but hadrian's wall and all the roman finds are happening where i live. i live in corbridge, a large roman-based village, if you live there it doesn't seem much but we get a lot of tourists in the summer. when i was little i used to go dig for stuff like roman coins, pottery, bones, etc.... and i now have quite a collection :D someone dug up a roman soldier last year when digging in their garden.
hadrian's wall is just down the road and i've been there many a time, you're not actually allowed to walk on the wall anymore because it's falling into ruin :(
theres also a roman archaeoligical dig but iv forgotton the name hahah but they've found a lot there too.

reading the previous posts on this thread, i would say Scotland is also very beautiful with it's wild landscapes (y)
xxxx

Benraianajones

adventure_al said:
Its just a big rotting tree that theyve made some sort of tourist gimmick because of the stories.

Secondly, I think it is near Nottingham (nottingham forrest and all that.) but if it is indeed near newcastle you better find out where thats a big place!

Speaking as from someone from Notts, I can say Robin really did manage to squeeze in to that tree....;)

***hayleyrox***

Benraianajones said:
adventure_al said:

Speaking as from someone from Notts, I can say Robin really did manage to squeeze in to that tree....;)

hehe its near newcastle but not in it, it just up the road literally from me (corbridge), its well signposted and easy to find, its shame you cant walk on the wall but its nice i like it :)
if anyone needs directions or info just ask XD
o and iv been to nottingham forest, its pretty cool XD

***hayleyrox***

sorry for double posting, its just for quickness :p
umm, its not near nottingham, nottingham is actually quite a long way away from us XD

its kinda isolated so its easy to find `cause its not that near newcastle

oh we also have the'corstoppitumm' or however u spell it in/near carlisle (up the road), which is a outdoor roman museum, they've found some pretty nifty things, so that might be quite interesting to look at too :)

oh and when i was little i found a load of roman artefacts and stuff, should i post piccys?
my personal favourite is an intact roman clay pipe :)

xxxxxxxxx

***hayleyrox***

Michael24 said:
I was hoping somebody could give me some information about Hadrian's Wall in Northern England. If I'm able to visit England this summer, I'd love to stop by during my travels to see Robin Hood Tree, located along the route of Hadrian's Wall. I found a website for the wall's trail, but I can't seem to find any particular information on exactly how to locate the tree. I read that it's located at Sycamore Gap, just past Milecastle 38. Is there any way to reach that location easily (like a nearby parking lot or other location you can park at then make a short walk to), or does one have to hike along the length of the wall in order to get to it?

Also, I saw mention of a Robin Hood Inn supposedly in a nearby place called Newcastle upon Tyne, but could not determine if it's a real location or not. Any help there as well? Thanks.

oh crap sorry :p the robin hood is on the military road up fro my house, icould actually walk there now if i wanted to :)
so yes thats real too XD