Could you please recommend me some great 1930s, 1940s and 1950s movies?

Raiders90

Anything, really. I want to get a feel for who all the top leading men and women of the 30s, 40s and 50s were.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Anything, really. I want to get a feel for who all the top leading men and women of the 30s, 40s and 50s were.

If you haven't already seen them, try The Thin Man series (1934-1947) - there's fantastic chemistry and dialogue between Myrna Loy and William Powell.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, I can do this, but one point of clarification: are you only looking for films with some of the big stars in them? It makes a bit of a difference.

anything with the name CAGNEY attached to it
james-cagney-celebrity-image-232588.jpg

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Like Attila said, it really depends on what sort of perspective you're looking for in terms of that era of Hollywood. Are you looking for what was popular in the day, what is considered classic filmmaking, what is reflective of film history in general? Popular genres in those times?

I would also suggest to you, each of those decades were quite different to one another even if you're just looking at Hollywood alone.

Even so, a good place to start is to start where a lot of film schools do: Citizen Kane.

Gustav

Start with these. And watch them all. I wish I could see them again for the first time.

30's

It Happened One night
Grand Hotel
The Roaring Twenties
Gone With the Wind
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Wizard of Oz

40's

Adam's Rib
It's a Wonderful Life
His Girl Friday
Casablanca
The Third Man
The Philadelphia Story
Double Indemnity
The Big Sleep

50's

Rear Window
Roman Holiday
Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
On the Waterfront
Vertigo
Ben-Hur
12 Angry Men
Rebel Without a Cause
The Searchers

Gustav

Ah, I'm still a precision thread killer I see.

Well, Raiders112390, if you ever come back here again you should also see Sunset Boulevard (1950) and the original King Kong I guess (1933) for Gloria Swanson (though she was more an actress from an earlier time) and William Holden and Fay Wray.

Oh, and The Petrified Forest (1936), okay I need to stop.

Montana Smith

Gustav said:
Ah, I'm still a precision thread killer I see.

Well, Raiders112390, if you ever come back here again you should also see Sunset Boulevard (1950) and the original King Kong I guess (1933) for Gloria Swanson (though she was more an actress from an earlier time) and William Holden and Fay Wray.

Oh, and The Petrified Forest (1936), okay I need to stop.

I'm sure it's nothing personal. Raiders said before that he prefers to watch rather than participate. Like lighting the blue touch paper and walking away.

Gustav

Montana Smith said:
I'm sure it's nothing personal. Raiders said before that he prefers to watch rather than participate. Like lighting the blue touch paper and walking away.

Thank god. So I'm not a loser?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Gustav said:
Thank god. So I'm not a loser?
Course not, Gus. Nice to see you still manage to stop by once in while. :hat: In any case, I was wondering your opinion in the "Death o Film" thread.

Raiders90

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. If you or anyone else has any others, t'would be greatly appreciated :hat:

Stoo

Here are some more great films (including some obscure ones) that nobody has mentioned yet...Limited to 8 titles per decade:

1930s
"Beau Geste"
"Gunga Din"
"The Lives of a Bengal Lancer"
"The Four Feathers"
"The General Died At Dawn"
"The Most Dangerous Game"
"The Light That Failed"
"Dark Victory"

1940s
"China"
"Sergeant York"
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
"The Cross of Lorraine"
"Somewhere In The Night"
"Odd Man Out"
"Thieves' Highway"
"Manhunt"

1950s
"Quicksand"
"Suddenly"
"Violent Saturday"
"Hell on Frisco Bay"
"The Line Up"
"Plunder Road"
"The Narrow Margin"
"Ice Cold In Alex"

I could go on & on & on & on...:)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Limited to 8 titles per decade:

I'll play.

1930s
"Only Angels Have Wings" (1939)
"The Maltese Falcon" (1932)
"Modern Times" (1936)
"My Man Godfrey" (1936)
"Mr. Dynamite" (1935)
"The Last Outpost" (1935)
"Afraid to Talk" (1932)
"She Done Him Wrong" (1933)

1940s
"Notorious" (1946)
"Nightmare Alley" (1947)
"Brief Encounter" (1945)
"The Bank Dick" (1940)
"The Thief of Baghdad" (1940)
"The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1946)
"All The King's Men" (1949)
"Laura" (1944)

1950s
"Cry Danger" (1951)
"The Mob" (1951)
"The Breaking Point" (1950)
"Night of the Hunter" (1955)
"The Big Heat" (1953)
"Guys and Dolls" (1955)
"The Gun Runners" (1958)
"The House on Telegraph Hill (1951)

Stoo said:
I could go on & on & on & on...:)

Same here.

Last edited:

Gustav

Violet said:
Course not, Gus. Nice to see you still manage to stop by once in while. :hat: In any case, I was wondering your opinion in the "Death o Film" thread.

Hey, Vi, thanks for the reassurance. How have you been? and how long have you been a moderator?

I'll check out the death of film thread presently.

Raiders! No need for an apology, I was only joking. Enjoy those movies and, if you think about it, let us know your opinion of them.

AND thanks Stood and Saboteur for your lists because I haven't even heard of some of those.

Last edited:

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Amazing!

Somebody else liked "Violent Saturday".
Yes, it's a good one.:)
Le Saboteur said:
Same here.
Nice list, Sabbie. Still need to see some of the your '50s titles. Love that you suggested, "The Last Outpost". Me like...A LOT!(y)

Might as well include, "The Lost Patrol", from 1934.:gun:

Junior Jones

My kids like to watch the same movies over and over again, so a few weeks ago we decided to expand their horizons. We went to the library and borrowed the Marx Brothers' Animal Crackers (1930) and A Day at the Races (1937). I hadn't seen them myself in a long time and I had forgotten how funny these guys were.