My life in films and tv..

harryfielder

Hiya guys, I was lucky in life to work with Harrison Ford a few times in the UK.
He was a really nice guy to work with and had time for all of us...
Oh, I was in films and tv for 32 years as an extra/bit player.....Great way to live.

Aitch,

harryfielder

In 1966 someone ask me to do one days work as an extra on Roger Moores ''The Saint''.
Well I did my one day and liked the work and stayed in the biz for the next 32 years.
I got to work with the best in the biz and with Harrison three times.

I now tell my full story on my home page and it could turn into a book by the end of this year.

If you want to ask me questions I will do my best to answer them on here....

Here's to a great 2010.... People call me......

Aitch,

Stoo

Hi, Harry. I'm a fan of all incarnations of "The Saint".(y) Which episode are you in & where can you be seen?

DocWhiskey

harryfielder said:
Hiya guys, I was lucky in life to work with Harrison Ford a few times in the UK.
He was a really nice guy to work with and had time for all of us...
Oh, I was in films and tv for 32 years as an extra/bit player.....Great way to live.

Aitch,

I read through your work on IMDB and it seems you had a truly amazing life! You were in Raiders of the Lost Ark AND Star Wars? Not to mention other fantastic movies. That's amazing! Have any stories about Harrison, Spielberg, or Lucas?

DocWhiskey

Hey there, Harry!

I looked through your work on imdb! What a truly remarkable life! You appeared in so many great films.

Hope you enjoy it here at The Raven!

Dr Bones

Truly fascinating stuff! :hat:

I'd love your job(s)!

I also know a UK based Star Wars costuming forum who would love to pick your brains!

Please excuse me while I get lost in your archive!

(y)

Welcome to the Raven Aitch, You will have a blast here at the Raven! I'm going to look at your info at this very moment! God Bless and have a great time here at the Raven.

harryfielder

Hiya folks,, this is from my web....

A great joy to watch Mr Spielberg at work.. The whole sequence was set out on storyboards. A master of his craft?
There?s about twenty of the chaps dressed up as (It?s that word again) GERMAN?S.
And it?s near the end of the film where the bad guys find The Ark and all us bad guys are going to get our just desserts.

When The Ark is opened strange things start to happen and strong winds and sand are blown all over the set. Steven tells us to react to strange ghost like creatures coming out of the Ark. He?d point at us and shout above the noise of the wind, ??It?s coming for you now react, now it?s got you round the face, react to it.??
George Lucas was standing next to Steven at times and seemed to be enjoying the action.
Harrison and Karen were tied to a stake at the time so I couldn?t get any help from that quarter?
Of course all the special effects are put onto screen months later as is most films these days?
I read Steven Spielberg?s life story and he didn?t always have it easy. (Read it)
And the last word on this tale must go to Harrison Ford?s stand/in? Jack (Chalky) Dearlove,

Aitch,

harryfielder

Stoo said:
Hi, Harry. I'm a fan of all incarnations of "The Saint".(y) Which episode are you in & where can you be seen?

There is a photo and a story on year 1967 of my web...

This was 1976......

STAR WARS?

Director:
George Lucas

Writer:
George Lucas

Cast

Mark Hamill ... Luke Skywalker

Harrison Ford ... Han Solo

Carrie Fisher ... Princess Leia Organa

Peter Cushing ... Grand Moff Tarkin

Alec Guinness ... Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi
Anthony Daniels ... C-3PO
Kenny Baker ... R2-D2

Peter Mayhew ... Chewbacca
David Prowse ... Darth Vader

James Earl Jones ... Darth Vader (voice)
Phil Brown ... Uncle Owen
Shelagh Fraser ... Aunt Beru
Jack Purvis ... Chief Jawa
Alex McCrindle ... General Dodonna
Eddie Byrne ... General Willard

After finishing a couple of Doctor Who?s Central Casting sent me to E.M.I. Studios to work on another space film for seven days.
I did ask them if they had any other work because I was fed up with wearing space outfits and the like? (Little did I know about STAR WARS).
There must have been about fifty Supporting Artists gathered on the first day, some putting on white space type suits, some being fitted out in weird make up and costumes and the rest of us waited around to see what we were going to be.

We had plenty of time to sit around chatting and playing the odd game of cards.
When myself and a chap called Ronnie Conrad got a call to go to the wardrobe dept, They dressed us in black space type suits but without a facemask?(Were they telling us we were ugly enough to look like aliens).
When we were dressed we sat at the back of the set and waited to do our bit.
I got talking to a giant of a man (Dave Prowse) from the West Country and he told me he was playing a character called ??Daft Ada??.
I found out later that day he was playing ??DARTH VADER?? (It must have been Dave?s strong Bristol accent that made it sound wrong).
Ronnie and I did some odd bits during the week and then the 2nd A.D. called for us to do a bit of business with our old mate ??DARTH??.
We were going to arrest Princess LEIA (Carrie Fisher)?
Carrie?s parents were Eddie Fisher (singer) and Debbie Reynolds (singer/actress). Debbie starred in the film ??Singing In The Rain?? in 1952 and I, as a twelve year old, was in love with her... (It soon passed).
Anyway lets get back to ??DAFT??.

Darth, Ronnie and I walk along some corridors and then into the cell where The Princess was being held. Darth had all the lines to say while Ronnie and I stood there looking ugly. (Typecast)
In between lighting the set Carrie was very chatty and asked what else we had done in films. (Has she got that much time to spare?)
I also met Harrison Ford and was to work with him again over the next few years.
Star Wars was the highest grossing money film that I ever worked on.
Some say it took a Billion Dollars at the box office and video sales?
I earned £11 per day for seven days. Total £77. What?s the % ??
Twenty five years later I am held in deep respect for being one of "DAFT ADA?S" men, by my Grandchildren? Thanks Mr Lucas?

(June 2009) Had a trip back to Elstree Studios last week and looked at the George Lucas Stage. Back in 1976 (33 years ago we used the old Stage 5 on the Elstree back lot...now gone)

Aitch,

Attila the Professor

Staff member
http://www.harryfielder.co.uk/

In case any of you folks haven't found your way to the site yet, there's the link for Harry's web page.

I've already poked around a little bit myself, Harry; quite impressive. I was wondering if you have any memories from your week at Pinewood for Fiddler on the Roof. For set-bound work, I'm guessing that must have been either the tavern or the wedding?

Joosse

Great stuff, Aitch!

What a life it must have been... :D

Loved seeing the Doctor Who stuff you were in as well! (y)

harryfielder

Attila the Professor said:
http://www.harryfielder.co.uk/

In case any of you folks haven't found your way to the site yet, there's the link for Harry's web page.

I've already poked around a little bit myself, Harry; quite impressive. I was wondering if you have any memories from your week at Pinewood for Fiddler on the Roof. For set-bound work, I'm guessing that must have been either the tavern or the wedding?

A group of us were down there as Mr Not Nice Guys and we had to smash up some place ?? I can laugh now because in one scene the director told be to kick at a chair and smash it..Trouble was the scene was after our lunch and I had had a few pints in the Pinewood bar so missed the chair and landed on my a***. The crew all laughed but I got it right next take...
That's showbiz folks....:hat:

There are many photos on my web but can't put them on here..????
I have a writer now turning my life into book form...This year I hope.....

Aitch,

lao che & sons

You lived a great career as a supporting artist, working in Raiders, Star Wars, Dr. Who, and other classics(y)

You are a welcome addition to the Raven :)

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Harry, I moved a couple of your other posts here to keep the fascinating narrative in one place. You kept a lot of documents and letters from various productions, do you have anything from Raiders? I'm greatly amused you were in both Raiders and Top Secret...

raiders.jpg

topsecret1984.jpg

harryfielder

When I look back on my life I think what if that guy didn't offer me that one days work on The Saint back in 1966 what would I have done...??
I have always classed myself as an extra that could say lines if need be.
I started out as a guitarist / singer in the 50s so getting up on stage didn't bother me and I soon learned the ropes as an extra to be early for a call and try to do a good job.

I remember one tv job in 1982 when I was sent to a tv studio as a security guard and might have a line to say....I did the job and said the line ok and they asked me if I could go back the next week....
I stayed on that ''Live'' kids tv show for the next three years.

It was called.....CBTV...Thames Studios....
With a wife and three kids to feed it did help.

Aitch,

Stoo

harryfielder said:
There is a photo and a story on year 1967 of my web...
Still poring over your pages but firstly, WOW...I am completely gobsmacked at how many of my favourite films you've appeared in. Not only movies that I've seen but ones that I actually own. (Secondly, one of your sons shares my name but is 2 years younger. Ha ha.)

Being a big fan of The Who, I'm impressed that you appeared in 3 Who-related films and noticed on IMDB that your character name in "McVicar" is Harry Aitch! How did that come about? You also appeared in the craziest scene of "Lisztomania" and I would love to hear more about the Brighton shoot for "Quadrophenia"...

Many more questions to ask concerning your war films. If I have time, I'll count up how many of your 259+ titles I've seen and if any images are needed for your website (ex. "Follow That Camel"), let me know.:hat: Good luck with your memoirs, "Aitch".

Here's some cool photos from "The Two Ronnies". Their show aired in Canada during the '70s so I may have possibly scene this skit - Scroll down to near the bottom of the page http://www.turnipnet.com/aitch/aitch/1973.htm

P.S. Noticed that "Charge of the Light Brigade" is not listed on your IMDB page.

harryfielder

Hiya Stoo, Since I've been writing my story people from all around the world and look out for me in films and tv. They call it Aitch spotting....:hat:

They also send me screen grabs (I don't know how to do that yet)
On McVicar I add libbed a few lines and when Adam Faith asked what my screen name was my good friend Director Tom Clegg said to Adam thats Harry Aitch...and that was that.....

Imdb have not put all my shows on yet but I hope in time they will.

A lady in the States (Leah) came up with this.............

Click here: S W A D - Fielder, Harry

Aitch,

harryfielder

harryfielder said:
Hiya Stoo, Since I've been writing my story people from all around the world and look out for me in films and tv. They call it Aitch spotting....:hat:

They also send me screen grabs (I don't know how to do that yet)
On McVicar I add libbed a few lines and when Adam Faith asked what my screen name was my good friend Director Tom Clegg said to Adam thats Harry Aitch...and that was that.....

Imdb have not put all my shows on yet but I hope in time they will.

A lady in the States (Leah) came up with this.............

Click here: S W A D - Fielder, Harry

Aitch,

www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/HarryFielder.html