The Indycron

Lao_Che

Rocket Surgeon said:
"Sometimes continuity be damned...somethings are just cool." Kasdan wrote himself that among the loose ends left in Raiders was that Abner could still be alive...

Until he blows himself up in the Marvel comics? ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lao_Che said:
Why didn't the interview ask that?
Good question! I should have asked if the Indyverse had its own set of binders 10 years ago, and whether Indycron work began before or after the Star Wars saga was complete. (One might these questions to Lao_Che, but judging from his IP address he's probably enjoying Friday night in Liverpool.)

Lao_Che

Moedred said:
Good question! I should have asked if the Indyverse had its own set of binders 10 years ago, and whether Indycron work began before or after the Star Wars saga was complete. (One might these questions to Lao_Che, but judging from his IP address he's probably enjoying Friday night in Liverpool.)

You're taking it far too personally. Though your publication of inaccurate private information does you no credit as a MODERATOR. :gun:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, sorry about that. I was just hoping to spare you a barrage of questions due to mistaken identity... unless you were anticipating that. However inaccurate (factor the margin of error, carry the two) I still believe it's an even bet you're in a separate hemisphere from the interviewee. Or not.

Lao_Che

Moedred said:
Fair enough, sorry about that. I was just hoping to spare you a barrage of questions due to mistaken identity... unless you were anticipating that. However inaccurate (factor the margin of error, carry the two) I still believe it's an even bet you're in a separate hemisphere from the interviewee. Or not.

I don't think Stoo actually believes I'm Leland Chee. Hope not anyway. Probably couldn't answer a direct question about continuity. ;)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Ha ha!:D While I wouldn't want to be known as the "thread librarian", I do remember which interesting topics have been discussed and where they can be found.:eek:

It could have been worse. You might have gained the nickname, 'The Thread Worm'. :sick: (Now that's a super-hero I'd rather not meet).

Lao_Che said:
Until he blows himself up in the Marvel comics?

Would that be the Further Adventures of... series?

If it was, I never felt those stories were canon. Some were pretty strange, though there were some great images.

Stoo

Lao_Che said:
I don't think Stoo actually believes I'm Leland Chee. Hope not anyway.
Yes, I do...;)
Lao_Che said:
Probably couldn't answer a direct question about continuity. ;)
That is a crock of B.S. and you know it, LC!:whip:For the time being, I?ll put off posting the blatant evidence re: Lao_Che = Leland Chee, only because after checking out Lao_Che?s link, some other things became of interest.

In the blog on the page about the initial Indycron announcement, Leland mentioned that *1* other person has access and permission to edit it. Wonder who that is/was? Would love to have that job?:p (The craziest thing is that people like myself do this as a hobby whereas Leland is getting paid for it. Lucky son-of-a-gun!:eek::hat:)

Within the Indycron Q&A thread, Mr. Chee wrote about having only brief outlines for the German and French stories and had not yet had the opportunity to read them. On page 4 of that thread, someone named, LukeVanHorn submitted links to my translations* of the French Bagheera comics, ?Secret de la Pyramide? and ?Cité de la Foudre?. There was no reply from Leland but since his job is to know all-things-Indy, it?s a good bet he checked out those links and is aware of our work here at The Raven...(and hopefully, used it to flesh out the details of IndyLand!) It would be nice to know that the combined efforts of fans here at The Raven have contributed to the OFFICIAL continuity database.

*thanks to scans from indyclone25, Icybro and DIrishB

Looks like Leland Chee previously went by the name of ?Tasty?. I wonder if LukeVanHorn is a member here or just a guest?...
LukeVanHorn said:
Date Posted: Nov 22, 2008 05:02 PM
Tasty,
You've said that since you don't read German or French, the Indycron only has short summaries of the untranslated Indy stories. In case no one has pointed this out to you before, Indiana Jones et la Secret de la Pyramide has been translated here translated here..

Date Posted: Mar 31, 2009 09:56 AM
Tasty,
Indiana Jones et la Cite de la Foudre has also been translated in this thread.

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
Looks like Leland Chee previously went by the name of ‘Tasty’.

"TastyTaste" in point of fact. :p

Montana Smith said:
Would that be the Further Adventures of... series?

If it was, I never felt those stories were canon. Some were pretty strange, though there were some great images.

I like them. Think they're a good template for an animated Indy TV show.

Last edited:

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
In the blog on the page about the initial Indycron announcement, Leland mentioned that *1* other person has access and permission to edit it. Wonder who that is/was? Would love to have that job?:p (The craziest thing is that people like myself do this as a hobby whereas Leland is getting paid for it. Lucky son-of-a-gun!:eek::hat:)

Me too! Although Leland's work seems to be very specifically academic whereas I would tend to be too creative (and probably get into trouble). From what I can tell, Leland just documents events and notes apparent inconsistencies; I would try to fix them with explainations or corrections.

Stoo

Lao_Che said:
"TastyTaste" in point of fact. :p
At this very moment, is Leland wearing any socks and, if so, what colour are they?:confused:

Anyway, I agree with you. LOVE the Marvels!(y)
Junior Jones said:
"With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy!":p

Stoo

Lao_Che said:
The fate of that thread has yet to be determined. ;)
Hi, Leland. Don't know if you're aware of the IndyCast podcast or not (you would be ideal for an interview!);) but in the latest one, Max McCoy was interviewed by Pat.

In the segment, there is a fair amount of discussion concerning "The Indy Bible" which McCoy was given as reference before writing his stories. Were you ever given a copy of this? (If you have, I don't expect you to divulge any information it contains but am just curious to know if you've seen it.);)

DoomTown

Lao_Che said:
I like them. Think they're a good template for an animated Indy TV show.

Re: "The Further Adventures..."

They DO make pretty good templates; being that we probably WON'T get an animated Indy anytime soon, I'm adapting one of the stories for the Indy-Cast Radio drama...:hat:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed only half the official Indycron discussion is in the archive, and thought it a good idea to preserve here what's there.
Leland Y Chee
Aug 01, 2007 01:42 PM
Ask about the Indycron database here.

E.T.F., Golden Boy
Aug 02, 2007 08:03 AM
Okay. What is it? Where is it?

Leland Y Chee
Aug 03, 2007 01:45 PM
The Indycron is our Indiana Jones continuity database, along the lines of the Holocron which we use for Star Wars. It includes story summaries, timelines, and entries for characters, objects, places, and events. It covers not only the movies, but the Indiana Jones TV shows, games, books, comics, and merchandise. We try to make things as consistent as possible so Indy doesn't get his hat twice or be introduced to Wu Han or Marcus Brody twice. We track things like when Indy was born, where and when he went to high school, when and where he got his college degrees, where he teaches and when, what kind of pistols does Indy use, what languages does Indy speak, and other things like that.

E.T.F., Golden Boy
Aug 06, 2007 02:42 PM
Cool! So how does one access the data in the Indycron? Or will you (Tasty) be the Keeper that we should just ask questions to in this thread? ;)

Leland Y Chee
Aug 10, 2007 01:25 AM
The Indycron is the internal continuity database used primarily by Lucas Licensing. Neither the Indycron nor the Holocron are accessible to the public. I'll drop in on this thread on occasion to answer what questions I can.

E.T.F., Golden Boy
Aug 10, 2007 11:53 AM
More's the pity. Thank you for your willingness to do so.
So here's a couple of questions, I suppose: Old man Indy (from the Young Indy Chronicles) had an eyepatch. How did he lose the eye -- adventuring, diabetes, fork mishap, or what? If adventuring, is it from events we would seen in Indy IV or an as-yet-unchronicled adventure?

Leland Y Chee
Aug 10, 2007 01:54 PM
Hasn't been determined, though back in 1992 George Lucas responded to the question by saying "That's possible!" Of course, with the "Old man Indy" (played by George Hall) segments cut out of the VHS releases, the official continuity of older Indy has been in limbo.

PEZman4
Oct 16, 2007 03:23 AM
So, does the Indycron use a letter designation system like Holocron does? And if so, where, generally, does everything fall?

E.T.F., Golden Boy
Oct 26, 2007 08:22 AM
Have they been restored for the DVDs?

Leland Y Chee
Nov 05, 2007 01:55 PM
The Indycron assigns each entry to one of the following categories:
- Movie
- TV
- Licensing
- Non-Continuity
- Non-Fiction
The DVDs are based on the VHS release, so the George Hall scenes have not been restored.

E.T.F., Golden Boy
Nov 07, 2007 10:12 AM
Thanks. That makes them less attractive to me, though. I'm surprised that they wouldn't be included as bonus features, though.

Adam_wan_kenobi
Nov 12, 2007 12:12 AM
Tasty Taste, have you ever been told why exactly Mr. Lucas chose to remove the "Old Indy" bookends?

lukevanhorn
Jan 18, 2008 02:03 PM
Are "Movie" and "TV" the equivalent of G canon and "Licensing" the equivalent of C canon? If so, does this mean that there is nothing like the distinction between C and S canon for the Indycron?
Also, do you read German and French (for the German and French language books), or have someone on staff go through those for you who reads those languages? Or do you have some kind of official translation available?

Leland Y Chee
Feb 04, 2008 01:17 PM
Movie = G
TV = T
Licensing = C & S
I don't have translated versions of the foreign-language titles; just brief story synopsises.

TheShroudHasFallen
Mar 04, 2008 01:45 PM
1. So how does that language barrier affect the treatment of those stories regarding continuity?
2. Do cut scenes, like Old Indy, get the same treatment as disowned Star Wars scenes?
3. Where do educational books (Indiana Jones Explores) stand?

Leland Y Chee
Mar 07, 2008 02:24 PM
1. The books appear in our internal timelines, but because they aren't very accessible, the likelihood of them being referenced in other titles is much less likely.
2. I've never been told to treat the Old Indy material as non-continuity. Like Star Wars, we'd treat everything case-by-case.
3. They fall under a separate Non-Fiction category.

Lady Shada
Mar 21, 2008 08:58 AM
I honestly never knew about this before. Sounds rather interesting, and it's a shame that the public doesn't have a "catch-all" of information like this. It would be helpful and useful at times....though, now that I say that...what the heck would I use this info for? lol
1. Anyway, just curious where the fictional books come into play with the Indycron. I know there are some Indy stories out there, and I believe they had some young Indiana Jones tales as well. Are those considered canon and incorporated into the over-all storyline or Indiana Jones, or are they just skipped over and ignored?

UltimateManGod
Mar 22, 2008 02:27 PM
2. My question involves a discrepancy between the Young Indy series and the adult novel series. In Young Indy, he begins college in 1920, but in Indiana Jones and the Peril of Delphi, he's graduating in 1920. So what I'm trying to ask is how those two differing sources mesh, and whether one outweighs the other. I know the book came before the later Young Indy episodes.

TheShroudHasFallen
Mar 26, 2008 08:49 AM
3. Has it been harder to compile the Indycron compared to the Holocron? Has it been more difficult to reconcile contradictions when the material is mostly centred on one character taking part in real events as opposed to the Star Wars EU which has more room to move but more material?
And thank you for answering my previous questions. :)

Leland Y Chee
Mar 26, 2008 02:49 PM
1. The letter system described earlier in this thread refers to a continuity system which we use to resolve continuity discrepencies. Lucas Licensing considers everything part of a single continuity, but gives greater weight to the films and then the television shows when resolving discrepencies.
2. Now we're finally getting into the real continuity stuff here. Indy starts attending the University of Chicago in 1920, and graduates in 1922. Later that year he begins studying at the Sorbonne. Peril of Delphi actually covers two different periods of time.
3. We had an internal glossary to work from as the Indycron's foundation, so it wasn't difficult to get it up and running. There's also much less source material to deal with which naturally means less chance for discrepencies. And we've got real world history and locations to help with dates and maps. On the downside, I don't have as many coworkers here who know all of Indy as well as they know Star Wars (myself included, though I've learned fairly quickly).

TheShroudHasFallen
Mar 26, 2008 05:04 PM
1. Have it your way. ;) How many crystal skulls?
2. Anna Jones: influenza or scarlet fever?
3. And the Emperor's tomb... was Emperor Qin's Heart of the Dragon carrying head found in 1934 by architects who put it back on the body, placed it inside a magic vortex, redesigned the layout and then took that jewel encrusted map of the world as payment for Indy to re-open it in 1935? :p And thank you again.

Adam_wan_kenobi
Mar 28, 2008 11:39 AM
The 1912 prologue to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade shows Indy and his father living in Utah, with Anna not being present. The film seems to suggest that she is dead by this point. However, in "London, May 1916", Indy tells Vicky that his mother died "three years ago" (which would set her death at sometime in 1913), and this "three years" comment was made again in the bridging footage filmed in 1996-1997? for "Spring Break Adventure". So which is correct?

Leland Y Chee
Mar 28, 2008 04:28 PM
1. How many are there in the real world? In the Indy world, there's at least three maybe four. Crystal Skulls
2. Scarlet fever in 1912. Helen Seymour died of influenza.
3. Yet to be resolved.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The last bit.
TheShroudHasFallen
Mar 29, 2008 12:54 PM
Thank you. :) Can I ask what the scarlet fever source is? Since in the same block of Spring Break Adventure dialogue Adamwan mentioned, Jones tells Frank that Anna died of influenza.

Cheaster
Apr 05, 2008 10:33 AM
Tasty Taste (aka LeLand Chee), I think many fans no longer care whats canon or non-canon, the idiotic controversies need to stop. Many people here don't agree with the Terms Of Service.

jawajames1
Apr 09, 2008 11:26 PM
For the Young Indy film Masks of Evil - how does the agent's warning of doom and blood if Indy goes to Venice fit into the timeline if Transylvania actually takes place months before Istanbul. Did the dates for these events get changed? Or can this bridging segment happen before the Transylvania episode, and also before the Istanbul episode (ie.. Indy goes to Istanbul briefly to set up his later role, meets the Armenian agent, then goes to Venice and Transylvania.. then months later returns to Istanbul and meets Halide Edib and Ataturk)

jSarek
Apr 11, 2008 06:01 PM
So how goes progress on the Indycron? I know you've been working on it for a year or more, so is it fairly mature by now, or is there still a lot of backfilling going on?
1. With the licensing program ratcheting up for KotCS, how much old Licensing-level material do you think we'll get to see in the new works? Have authors been proactively using old Licensing material from the Indycron (and/or the original sources), or has it so far been used primarily as a way to avoid continuity flubs?

Leland Y Chee
Apr 13, 2008 12:03 AM
1. Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide will contain a great deal of "Expanded Adventures" material. You'll also find Expanded Adventures tidbits here and there in the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones. On the fiction side of things, the stories are more stand-alone, so there's less of a reliance on existing material outside the films. I'll conclude by saying that the use of previous Expanded Adventures material is not restricted to Publishing.

DocLathropBrown
Apr 29, 2008 01:47 PM
Here's a question: what ISN'T in continuity? Since there doesn't appear to be a definitive database from LFL for the public to view, I guess it's up to the fans to figure it out. It would be nice to have everything about this guy's life outlined in one easy-to-read chronology.

Adam_wan_kenobi
May 03, 2008 11:02 PM
Tasty Taste, There is a page in Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide which has a picture of a table of Indy's personal artifacts, as of 1957. One blurb points to a pair of binoculars on the table and reads "Indy's first pair of binoculars belonged to Teddy Roosevelt". I assume this is meant to be the same pair from the Young Indiana Jones episode being referenced? If so, doesn't this contradict the episode, since Indy ends up giving the binoculars to his African friend Meto?