Building the ark crate 1:1 scale

Dr Bones

Ok, so I had an idea for extra storage in my computer room which I have just decorated and am ready to start personalising. After getting the green light from the better half I decided I am going to build a 1:1 scale ark crate.

But I need some help...

Does anyone know of accurate sizes and reference material I can use to get it as near to S/A as I can? Wood type, sizes, etc etc.

Unlike HF I am no carpenter but figure this should be fairly with the right materials.

I'm then going to get a hat stand upon which will be placed a hat, whip, bag and jacket.

Also a mish mash of Indy and other sci fi artirfacts will adorn the walls and shelves.

Thanks.:hat:

Good luck, sounds like a cool project.

Which one are you going for? The Nazi crate or the US crate?

I advise using pine and staining it.

Junior Jones

I know where to find the dimensions of the artifact inside the crate if that would help. But you'd need a tape measure marked in cubits instead of feet.

Indy Byrd

Junior Jones said:
I know where to find the dimensions of the artifact inside the crate if that would help. But you'd need a tape measure marked in cubits instead of feet.

Actually you can convert cubits to inches. In my Bible Dictionary, it has converted cubits to a measurement we can identify with. A cubit is equivilant to 18 inches...so by this the Ark was 45" in length and 27" wide and in height. (give or take about 5-6" for the legs).

Hope this helps!

Dr Bones

Indy Byrd said:
Actually you can convert cubits to inches. In my Bible Dictionary, it has converted cubits to a measurement we can identify with. A cubit is equivilant to 18 inches...so by this the Ark was 45" in length and 27" wide and in height. (give or take about 5-6" for the legs).

Hope this helps!

I was thinking more screen accurate than bible accurate! LOL..

Thanks for the info. (y)

Indy Byrd

Dr Bones said:
I was thinking more screen accurate than bible accurate! LOL..

Thanks for the info. (y)

According to the book, The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives, it gives the Ark's prop dimensions as 71x234x94 cm. Converted to inches is 28x92.1x34 in. (including the staffs) Considering that the cubit - inches dimensions of the ark would be 27x45x28 in. That is pretty close to screen accurate, but that is up to interpretation by each person.

Dr Bones

Indy Byrd said:
According to the book, The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives, it gives the Ark's prop dimensions as 71x234x94 cm. Converted to inches is 28x92.1x34 in. (including the staffs) Considering that the cubit - inches dimensions of the ark would be 27x45x28 in. That is pretty close to screen accurate, but that is up to interpretation by each person.

Thanks....if I can't find anything based on the crate itself I could use those dimensions as a base.(y)