Your brushes with death...

roundshort

Had a bad Lobster in nantucket once, dude it was ugly! Two days, both ends I tel you what, three are some things inthe world nobody sould have to deal with! Still love those Nantucket Lobsters though!

Indyologist

I'm looking over my old threads and I thought I'd bump this one. Anyone care to relate a time when you knowingly/unknowingly played Twister with Death? :dead:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
When I was three, there was a flesheating bug outbreak due to quarantine mistakes at the airposrt. I was affected by the big and it was eating my leg. The doctors had no cure but, my Dad in desparation used Dettol a anti-infectant on the flesh that was being eaten and in effect saved my life. I still have the scar on my knee to prove it.

Indyologist

roundshort said:
had this hangnail . . .

. . .and that lion never looked at a dwarf the same way!

Huh?

Violet Indy said:
When I was three, there was a flesheating bug outbreak due to quarantine mistakes at the airposrt. I was affected by the big and it was eating my leg. The doctors had no cure but, my Dad in desparation used Dettol a anti-infectant on the flesh that was being eaten and in effect saved my life. I still have the scar on my knee to prove it.

Wow VI, that was a close one!

How about anyone here who's been in the military? Were you in any war/s where you saw action and walked away unscathed?

indifan101 said:
Indyologist, I think you've been watching Final Destanation to much!:rolleyes: I had a life or death asthma attack once.

That must've been scary. I've got asthma too. Attacks are awful, aren't they? It actually hurts to breathe and it feels like someone's stuffed your lungs full of rags. Cats and rodents (rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc.) bring it on for me. If you locked me overnight in a pet shop without my inhaler, I'd most likely die. :dead: Sometimes when I have a cold or sinus infection I'll wheeze a little too. It was much worse for me when I was younger, for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Near Death experiences

Anybody here almost killed while being an Indy Idiot? Happens to me quite alot...
Probably too much actually. Heres a few travel related ones:

While in Leichtenstien I wandered up to see the princes castle, then continued on up the windy mountain road to see if I could get to Alpine snow, suddenly realised I was gonna miss my bus If I didn't head back down, so I started running , off road through the trees down the side of this mountain. Anyway, came to a cliff, thought about climbing down but reconsidered, headed back up, but slipped on some leaves, slip along on my ass towards the cliff edge, desperately trying to stop myself. Didn't. In sitting position, in mid air, positive I was dead, said 'damn it' and started falling, half way down caught my leg on a spike of rock, sent me tumbling end over end, smacked onto the road below, rolled across it, my fedora (which I was of course wearing) went flying, scrambled myself together to the roadside when a man in a car pulled up, said 'bitte scheun' not sure why; and drove off after I stammered that I was okay. Wandered into the woods, washed the blood from my leg in a mountain stream, and wandered down, got a bus to a train to zurich, couldn't feel my leg, and sorta limped my way about. Did manage to randomly chat up a swiss model on the train, but thats another story. Leg was numb for a few days, hole in the back of it, but somehow it was alright.

hmmm. I appear to be babbling...

Then there was the time in Jordan when I almost fell through the roof of an abandoned crusader tower in Petra, when the ground under my feet on what I thought was a little hill gave way into a square hole dropping into a big square room 6 metres below, managed to catch the edge. Somehow.Not to mention earlier that same day when I took a wrong turn and found myself edging along a redish purple cliff edge trying not to fall the 500 or so feet to the desert below. That was fun... luckily I managed to stumble into a trogldyte warren of tunnels which after a seemingly endless scrabble over edges and dropping into dark caves I emerged far from the tourist route in the desert below. Of course all of that was because I was trying to beat my friends acheivments the day before while I was sick... I sorta went too far.

Anyone else got some? I've got alot more, don't wanna bore ye..

oki9Sedo

I was in a car crash that was none too pleasant, I have to say. Getting hit from the side by a truck isn't much fun.(n)

You okay? Sounds pretty serious

Crap.. Don't wanna dredge up any bad memories... maybe I meant Indy travel adventure style in over your head situations...

oki9Sedo

Jeremiah Jones said:
You okay? Sounds pretty serious

Oh I'm absolutely fine. The side of the car was wrecked, but the only injuries I had were a broken arm and strained a ligament in my neck, but I made a full recovery from those. So nothing serious really.

Crap.. Don't wanna dredge up any bad memories

No, not at all. It was years ago. I was in the back of the car and the front driver drove through a crossroads thinking we had right of way...needless to say we didn't!

Jeremiah Jones said:
maybe I meant Indy travel adventure style in over your head situations...

Sorry, my misunderstanding! I haven't actually had any of those thankfully. I've been in over my head plenty of times, but not in an Indiana Jones, jumping out of a pilot-less plane in a life raft kind of way!

-INDY-

Well, I literally live in a jungle so I tend to go on adventures alot. Once I was exploring , and there was this really huge snake. I really have a phobia from snakes and I reacted in a wrong way, guess I panicked, and the snake bit me on the leg. I had studied a bit of how to save yourself if a snake bites you guide so I cut a vein in my leg a bit and tried to take out the poison, and also tied the leg tight so that the blood doesn't reach the heart. Then I lay out there for quite a while until my brother found me. He went back and bought some anti-venom injection (we keep alot of them in our house for safe keeping) and injected me and well took me home. I had a very big swelling in the leg for a long time.

Another time a car hit me, I was reading a book while crossing a very lonely highway and a speeding car hit me. The guy took me to a hospital then.

Another time, and this is a slightly funny story, well in winters it gets really cold here and we use electric boilers to make the water hot. It's a medium sized boiler and it was in the bathroom of my room. Once I forgot to turn the electricity off and at 3 A.M in the morning it simply exploded, and so did my room. The brick wall literally fell on me, and I thought some earthquake had come and I had to save my family. I tried to lift the wall, and I was somehow able to raise it a bit, just enough to squeeze out. I didn't know how I did that. When I came out of the room, white as ghost, I found out that it was just me that had happened to, everything outside was fine, and miraculously, I came out unscarred from that incident. I didn't even recieve a single scratch. The blast was quite big though, so big that my windows broke, my closet's wood flew on to the terrace, and this big heavy grill which was on my window went flying about thirty feet or so and hit and a 10 000 V electric cable which broke. The electricity people powered off the entire electricity for that area so that no one passing would be injured.

I guess death only comes at it's time.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
speeding down the road. My legs are draging in the street, and I am getting a good look at the insect splattered chrome bumper of the car behind me.
Had a similar high school experience, except there's nothing to hold onto on a Chevelle.

Was doing yard work, felt a bit of debris in my hair, removed gloves to pluck it out. Rolled it back and forth between thumb and forefinger until I realized it was a black widow in spider fetal position. Biggest one I've ever seen.

Iandiana

Walking home with my friend we decided to take a detour along the train lines. We had no idea where they would bring us out but thought what the heck? So after about 30 minutes of walking and being amazed at finding a dead dog (we were only kids) we heard a familiar sound. Lo and behold, a train speeding toward us but on the other side. We stepped back a little and watched it pass in amazement before continuing. Mere seconds later my friend turned to say something and I caught his eyes double in size. I already knew what he was looking at.

As the trains both ways had passed the noise of the train we saw had covered the noise of a train heading directly at us from behind. A fast train. A very fast express. We both leaped to the embankment next to the track and as I climbed my "friend" used me as a platform almost to get higher whilst pushing me down toward the hungry wheels of grinding metal.

Of course the event was over in a heartbeat but to a 14 year old it was a true adventure.

No Ticket

Pale Horse said:
Yep.

"In other news...
September 6, 1996
Web posted at: 11:25 p.m. EDT
California fireworks factory blast kills one
RIALTO, California (CNN) -- A fireworks factory blew up Friday as workers unloaded shells, killing one employee and injuring another.

"We heard and we felt the shake that felt like an earthquake. It was just one explosion after another. The flames were quite high," said Ruth Johnston, who lives across the street from the Pyro Spectacular factory, the company that handled the fireworks for the opening of the Atlanta Olympic Games.

A side of the building was blown out by the blast, and the cause remains undetermined. Towers of smoke could be seen over the area about 50 miles east of downtown Los Angeles."

It's the plant I work out of.

This isn't that particular factory exploding, I don't believe. But it's pretty intense looking...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bTzMWUMGoi8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bTzMWUMGoi8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gear

the hammer42 said:
Right now we are guarding a internet provider.
Lots of computers here.
You know. lots of stuff that makes good money on the blackmarket.

I think its fun also, but my wife gets scared [omit] everytime she hears what happens to me at work.

EDIT: removed inappropriate word

"internet provider"

A cover?

Secret?

Cant tell us?

S@y iINdI iF u R a dOnB SemAj

(Actually you shouldn't because then 'death' would getcha)

DocWhiskey

I got in a car accident once, but I wasn't injured. Just shaken up a bit.

The only thing I could think of was when I was 9 or so and I just got an Indy Fedora from Disney World and so when I got home I was pulling all this Indy stunts. One day I figured I'd close my garage and slide under really fast and then reach back under for my hat just like in ToD. Yeah, didn't work out. I slide under just fine, but I ended up basically breaking my forearm when I grabbed my hat. Seems that garage door was waaayyy heavier then I expected. My mom asked me what I was thinking. To which i answered, "I was making it up as I went along"

Yure

Dodged the bullet on 9/11.
I was on WTC the morning of 9/10. On 9/11 I was going to take an AA 767 flight from Boston, the flight was scheduled a couple of hours later than the one who were hijacked.

When I finally got to come back to Italy, with the first flight available about one week later, an idiot during the flight tampered with the smoke detector in the toilet, making the primary electric system of the aircraft to fail. We had to continue the night flight with the emergency system, scared as hell. At the end, we got into a turbulence caused by a huge storm that got rivers overflow in Italy and caused a lot of damage. People were screaming and praying, what scared the hell out of me was the face of the hostess in front of me... because you know, when you're flying and you're scared you can look at the hostesses, they're used to fly in every condition and are usually calm and relaxed. Not mine :)

When I got in Rome saw many people kiss the ground :D

Another story has a bit of paranormal. I usually ride my motorcycle everywhere. Once I was on a large road, I wasn't speeding that much, I'll say I was about at the limit speed. I approached a crossroad, I had the green light. In the distance I distinctly saw an officer with the hat and everything, so I said to myself "better slow down". As I got to the intersection an idiot came from the other road speeding as hell, passing of course while he had a red light. If I hadn't slowed down he would have hit me right in the middle. I brake and stopped, almost fainting for the scare. I looked on the right to see if the officer saw the road pirate... and there was no officer, there wasn't anybody on that road. Sometimes I think that that officer was my guardian angel :)

Melesse

When I was 12 I tried to drown myself, shortly after that I cut my wrist. At 13 i cut my wrist again. Each time I thought of stupid reasons not to go though with it. Ive had a few more stupid things, with horses, snakes, and cars but theyre long and boring stories.