your music

Jay R. Zay

ha, my first thread in this forum. :whip: i know, i know, i'm the best. probably i've picked a topic that already existed and that i didn't find via the forum search. if this is so, i'll kill murphy for making stupid laws.

i wanted to know what music you like.

i usually listen to rock music, classic rock to metal.

as an introduction, some of my favorite bands are:

- Jefferson Airplane (e.g. White Rabbit, Freeride, Somebody to Love)
- The Doors (e.g. The End, Alabama Song, The Wasp)
- Dire Straits (e.g. Money for Nothing, Sultans of Swing, Boom Like That)
- David Bowie (e.g. Starman, Suffragette City, Time)
- Aerosmith (e.g. Girls of Summer, Amazing, Dream On)
- Creedence Clearwater Revival (e.g. Bad Moon Rising, Up Around The Bend, Hey Tonight)
- Deep Purple (e.g. Smoke on the Water, Dead or Alive, Aviator)

Metal:

- Man-o-war (e.g. Warriors of the World, Fight for Freedom, Swords in the Wind)
- Hammerfall (Renegade, Champion, At the End of the Rainbow)
- Metallica (e.g. No Leaf Clover, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters)
- Farmer Boys (e.g. End of All Days, Farm Sweet Farm, Prized)

the last one is a highly recommendable german band (lyrics are in english as you might have guessed from the titles), usually i don't hold german music in high esteem but the farmer boys actually did the best metal i know.

i've marked the songs i (currently perhaps) consider as their best ones.

how about you? your genre, your bands, your favorite tracks?

perhaps we could even manage some kind of a discussion and not let this turn into a thread where everybody posts his music independently but i'll leave this to you.

I currently have almost 67 GIGs of mp3s.... and it's growing all the time... My end goal would be to one day own all the music...

In the immortal words of "Russell Hammond"

"I dig music..."

,-)

Indy Parise

Emerson Lake and Palmer (Karnevil 9 parts 1, 2, and 3, Benny the Bouncer)
" Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends"

The Beatles (The Long and Winding Road, Yesterday, I'll cry instead, Please Please Me)
"Please, please me, oh yeah, like I please you"

Supertramp (Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast in America)
"So you think you're a Romeo..."

(for those who haven't figured it out yet) The Blues Bros. (Rubber Biscuit, Everybody needs somebody to love, Soul Man)
"Everybody, needs somebody to love. Someone to love"

The Ramones (Blitzkrieg Bop, I Wanna Be Sedated, Judy is a Punk, Beat on the Brat)
"Hey ho, let's go :D "

KDuncan

Oldies. Although I listen to classical during commercial breaks.

Simon and Garfunkel are my favorite musicians (Sound of Silence, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Homeward Bound)

The Beatles are good.

Oh yeah, and when I watch the Blues Brothers movie, I like those songs too.

Pale Horse

Staff member
:whip:
HovitosKing said:
Have things gotten this bad around here? Who cares?

Dude, they getting along, why always strive to find what divides us, when perhaps we could see what else brings us together besides a noteably absent Indy...

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:
:whip:

Dude, they getting along, why always strive to find what divides us, when perhaps we could see what else brings us together besides a noteably absent Indy...

Actually, I'm right here (I know it's a bad pun but I couldn't resist.) ;)

As for music, I like a lot of different stuff. Some of my favorite artists are They Might Be Giants, U2, Beck, Elvis Costello, Counting Crows, Five For Fighting, Switchfoot and Coldplay.

San Holo

Du Hast Rammenstein, Jay? The Farmer Boys are pretty good though. Have you ever heard of Mushroomhead? When I'm not in a metal mood, I like the Old 97's, Johnny Cash, Willie,Waylon, and Elvis.

Magda

I have an extremely eclectic taste in music. I listen to anything from techno and new age to 80's and rock. I have very few absolute favorite bands since it's difficult to keep track of them with listening to so many different genres. However, I do have a couple who I have never grown tired of.

Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence", "Policy of Truth", "It's No Good", "Barrel of a Gun"

Duran Duran - "Rio", "Come Undone", "What Happens Tomorrow", "Ordinary World"

I don't care what you think about techno, but I love it. ("It's computer generated, blah, blah, blah...." Most music today is enhanced by computers anyway.) Most of you probably don't even know who some of these people are: DJ Tiesto, ATB, Benny Benassi, 4 Strings, Paul Van Dyk, Darude, Rob D., Crystal Method, and BT

Other artists that have found their way into my CD/MP3 collections include Niyaz, Gipsy Kings, Mana, Enigma, Gorillaz, Morcheeba, dZihan & Kamien, Portishead, The Killers, and Terranova... just to name a few.

I've found myself listening to Arab electronica lately. I listen to it with the volume up high in the car on the way to school or work, as well as during writing sessions. I highly recommend it.

My current stereo rotation:

Depeche Mode - The Singles 86>98; Arabian Travels Collection; Robbie Williams - Greatest Hits; Armin Van Buuren - Shivers

Last edited:

Jay R. Zay

San Holo said:
Du Hast Rammenstein, Jay? The Farmer Boys are pretty good though. Have you ever heard of Mushroomhead? When I'm not in a metal mood, I like the Old 97's, Johnny Cash, Willie,Waylon, and Elvis.

actually, i don't like rammstein very much although they have a couple of good tracks. never thought somebody outside of germany knew the farmer boys ;)

from time to time i listen to country, too (because you've mentioned johnny cash). but rather by john denver (rocky mountain high), peggy lee (it's a good day) or at least one from Hank Williams Sr. - Lost Highway. ;)

intergamer

Charlie Parker, Lee Morgan, Stan Getz, Count Basie, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Chopin, Bach, Mozart

Indyfan28

Mostly like punk rock/ alternative stuff (a little Emo) like Greenday, Good Charlotte, Fll Out boy, and Bowling for Soup. The only hip-hop I can stand is Black Eyed Peas.

Ska

Anyone who knows me understands I'm obsessed with three things...Indiana Jones...311...Steeler football.

311 is generically labelled as a rap/rock group by most reviewers, but they are so much more. Sure their earlier stuff was heavy in "white boy" rap, but a listen to any of their 8 studio albums will show off their versatility. 311 is a band that is big in spreading positivity, unity, and simply loving life. Sure they have their share of songs about smoking (listen to Who's Got the Herb?, Hyrdoponic, etc.), but a deeper dive into their music will open up a whole other world of messages.

Their latest album, Don't Tread On Me, was just released on Aug. 16th, and is nothing short of amazing. Getting Through to Her, a more mellow side of 311, is a song about reaching out to someone involved in child abuse ("She wished she went away, and not return to the shame brought to her those days"). Thank Your Lucky Stars, a funky guitar driven rocker, focuses on the world today and how we should be thankful that the world is not worse than it is ("I need a break, something inside me said, from TV people counting the dead"). Solar Flare, the albums only heavy rap rocker, is a cry out to the media and politics ("Will they drop the bomb? Will they think about their children's children being born with limbs missing?"). The steel drums in the reggae song Speak Easy compliment the vibe of the summertime ("If there's a shadow in your life, then there's sunshine"...possibly my favorite line in a song).

Songs from their albums to listen to:

Music
Freak Out
Hydroponic
Plain
Feels So Good
Do You Right

Grassroots
Homebrew
Omaha Stylee
Lose

311 (Self-Titled "Blue" Album)
Down (probably their most known song)
All Mixed Up (another widely known song)
Sweet

Transistor
Prisoner
Running
Rub a Dub
Starshines
Stealing Happy Hours

Soundsystem
Come Original
Life's Not a Race
Mindspin

From Chaos