Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods !!!

I'm really not enthused by the cover-art. They don't compare to the works done for the older issues. Too abstract with all these garish colors.

Last time the comics had great cover art but were terrible comics... since the cover art is so awful now, I sure hope the comics are at least good...

OhioJones

IJatTotG1-1.jpg

IndyGodsCover2.jpg

These covers have me so pumped! It's great that were getting all these new Indy things!

Also, those sketches look great. Nice to know they are actually trying to draw Ford this time.

I just got the Dark Horse Indy Omnibus 1 and, while I've been enjoying it, the book art certainly doesn't look like Harrison.

NamedAfterDaDog

Oh, have you got it? I really, really want to get it. Is the Omnibus a good place for me to start? Because I have never so much as picked up an Indy comic before.

OhioJones

NamedAfterDaDog said:
Oh, have you got it? I really, really want to get it. Is the Omnibus a good place for me to start? Because I have never so much as picked up an Indy comic before.
It is my first foray into Indy comics as well. Never read one before. Like I said, I'm enjoying it. The art is a little retro and dialogue slightly cheesy. Other then that, really enjoyable. I'm reading Fate of Atlantis right now and its good.

If you are a die hard Indy fan and/or craving some more Jones, I would pick it up.

yodazone

Here's a new interview with writer, Rob Williams over at Newsarama!!!

Marcus Brody is back!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=153283

ROB WILLIAMS ON INDIANA JONES THE THE TOMB OF THE GODS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Chris Arrant

While he may be the world's preeminent archaeologist of the day, it doesn't stop Dr. Henry Jones Jr. from getting out in the field once in a while.

OK, more than once in a while. He's Dr. Henry Jones Jr., or Indiana Jones to me and you. We've seen it in three movies, and even a short lived television series of his early days and several books. With a new movie coming out this summer, it is undoubtedly the Summer of Indiana Jones. Dark Horse is doing their part, as they wade into the jungles of comic stores with a new miniseries: Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods.

Created by the team of writer Rob Williams and artist Steve Scott, they're coming into it with lofty goals of being no less quality than a 'lost Indy movie'. Indiana Jones movies are known for their action and adventure, and in comics there's an unlimited budget for that. After all, drawing an exploding pyramid is more fun than drawing some geese sitting in a pond. So explosions, fights and gunfire are to be expected.

Newsarama: Thanks for talking with us, Rob. Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Gods, an all-new Indiana Jones story. That's big unto itself, and doing the comic - that had to make a lot of Indiana Jones' fans jealous. What's it like being able to work on this?

Rob Williams: A dream come true, to be honest. I'm a huge Indy fan. You're talking about one of the great iconic heroic figures of modern times, who wouldn't want to write Indy? And Raiders Of The Lost Ark is really like a template for how to do a killer action story with just the right amount of gags, character work, mystery, humanity. Indy's the most human action hero because he's far from invulnerable, he gets the crap beaten out of him in all three films and Harrison Ford's so good in them we feel Indy's pain, yet he keeps coming.

And, of course, what makes him truly special is his love of knowledge and learning. He's an archaeologist first, an action hero second. That's wonderfully refreshing in a dumbed down modern age. These are all things we're taking into account with how we're handling Indy in Tomb Of The Gods.

NRAMA: We've got Indiana Jones onboard, for sure.. his name's in the title, after all. But are there any other familiar characters we can look forward to seeing in this miniseries?

RW: Lots of Marcus Brody, who's an absolute delight in The Last Crusade thanks to a wonderful performance by the late Denholm Elliott. Marcus is just too good not to have along for the ride, and also he's going to be something of an even keel in keeping Indy on the right track when his eyes light up a little too wide when he gets the 'treasure' in his sights. Which is something that Indy is definitely guilty of.

The rest of our cast for this story are all new characters. One thing we've talked about a lot on this series is the need to create strong new 'expanded universe' characters for Indy to interact with - so that we can then place them in real danger. After all, they might not make it out alive. And we want to give Indy his own Doctor Doom or the Joker - a deadly recurring adversary.

NRAMA: "The Tomb of the Gods" - it sounds right up Dr. Jones' alley. What's is it?

RW:
That would be telling, as a large part of the story is building the mystery both for Indy and the readers. We were very aware though that we needed a macguffin to launch this series where the stakes were very high. It couldn't be a small, personal trinket. The Tomb in question contains something that could not only be disastrous for the world, but which could also damn Indy's soul if he lets it. Indy has based his entire life on knowledge, but this threatens to prove that everything he's ever believed up to this point is wrong, and that he could potentially be the one to write a new history.

That's a very dangerous temptation to him.

NRAMA: To write this, you have to really get inside the head of the character. When you were writing this series, how deep did you get into the thought processes and mind of Indiana? What are his motivations?

RW: You watch the movies and they do a great job of defining who he is in a very concise way. He's a hero, first and foremost. He will take on overwhelming odds for what he feels is right. But certain lines here and there really nail him, the two key ones being "that belongs in a museum" and "Fortune and Glory, kid." There's this interesting dichotomy between those two ethos' which is something we'll be exploring in Tomb. There's a certain amount of glory hunter in him.

NRAMA: Chronologically speaking, what's the time period here and how does it fit in with the other moves?

RW: Tomb Of The Gods takes place in 1936, so after Temple Of Doom and before Raiders. Artist Steve Scott said to me the other day that he's treating this like it's a lost Indy movie, and I think that's the approach you have to have.

This can't be just another adventure. It's got to feel like an important moment in Indiana Jones' life, something that affects the decisions he'll later make in Raiders. Would the Indy of Temple lower the bazooka and let Belloq and the Nazis have the Ark at the end of Raiders? Probably not. He's younger and more hot-headed in Temple. Tomb Of The Gods is an important part of his evolution. He experiences something in our finale that helps to make him the man he is when we meet him in the jungle at the opening of Raiders.

NRAMA: Before we go, I have to ask… Indiana's main tool besides his mind is his trusty whip. Come on, level with us.. Did you buy a whip and practice, just to get the character down?

RW: No need to buy one. I just used the one I already have at home.

What?

Indiana Jones & The Tomb of the Gods #1 goes on sale June 29th from Dark Horse Comics. For more information, visit www.darkhorse.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(y) (y) (y)

metalinvader

Thanks for that,Yodazone.

Glad to see they are bringing Marcus back.Awesome! I really hope they will bring Belloq in,Since it fits the timeline.

LaoCheRules!

I have never seen Steve Scott's work, so I am hoping it is a little less cartoony than the artwork from the 1st Omnibus.

I like the covers except for the fact that Indy is on each one TWICE, in my opinion that is a big no-no.

Snakes

Even though they say Marcus is the only supporting character from the films, I still hope that Belloq will be in Tomb of the Gods. I think he should be the "Doctor Doom or the Joker" to Indy

Avilos

Snakes said:
Even though they say Marcus is the only supporting character from the films, I still hope that Belloq will be in Tomb of the Gods. I think he should be the "Doctor Doom or the Joker" to Indy

I agree. I thought that comment was odd. I understand wanting to give Indy an archenemy. But if they invent one just for the comics the character is not going to have any weight or significance.

If not Belloq, how about the "Man who gave Indy his hat". At one point he was intended to be Abner Ravenwood. Of course it still remains to be seen what will happen with Abner....
But if that guy was not Abner he would be a interesting lifelong rival for Indy.

Or maybe it should be a Nazi. But one with a history with Indy. Perhaps a young German solider that Indy fought during WWI. Who later became a high level Nazi.

Iandiana

Fighting Nazis, finding treasure... it's all a bit unoriginal and uninspired. I have tonnes of Indy comics all with the same themes and gave up after a while. Don't think i'll bother to be honest.

Junior Jones

Iandiana said:
Fighting Nazis, finding treasure... it's all a bit unoriginal and uninspired.

The problem is that if they did something new and original, people would complain that "It's not Indy without Nazis!"

Avilos

Junior Jones said:
The problem is that if they did something new and original, people would complain that "It's not Indy without Nazis!"

You are right many people used to say that. But once KotCS is out less people will make that complaint.

|ZiR|

Junior Jones said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that Temple of Doom wasn't an Indy movie.

Avilos

|ZiR| said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that Temple of Doom wasn't an Indy movie.

Well I LOVE Temple of Doom. I love the fact that it is so unique. But many people have claimed that it is not a "true Indy movie" without the Nazis. But I strongly disagree.

Lao_Che

Depending on how successful this second wave of Indy merch is (and the events in the fourth movie), after KotCS you're more likely to see the stories being spread out a bit along the timeline to fill the gaps between LC and KotCS, KotCS and Mystery of the Blues bookends, MotB and the Old Indy stories.

Or, y'know, they'll just fill up the WW2 period because of the Nazis. ;)