Across the Universe (song)

metalinvader

monkey said:
My favorite band of all time is probably Deep Purple.

Very nice!:hat:

Deep Purple,Now there is a band! Ian Gillan has such an incredible voice.
Monkey,Do you like the Black Sabbath album "Born again'' that Gillan sang on?

monkey

metalinvader said:
Very nice!:hat:

Deep Purple,Now there is a band! Ian Gillan has such an incredible voice.
Monkey,Do you like the Black Sabbath album "Born again'' that Gillan sang on?

I think Gillan had the best voice ever in the history of Hard Rock music.

I always thought that musically Deep Purple was the best Rock band of the seventies.

I don't have the album "Born Again". But I have heard some of Gillan during his brief tenure with Black Sabbath. Good stuff. Didn't they do a song called "Zero the Hero"?

monkey

ResidentAlien said:
Do you sense this blank stare on my face?

Since when does 2008 - 1988 = 40? Did the universe just implode and turn black to white and in to out? I'm speechless.

It's 21st century math. The old rules don't apply. 60 is the new 40.....and 40 is the new 20.

metalinvader

monkey said:
I think Gillan had the best voice ever in the history of Hard Rock music.

I always thought that musically Deep Purple was the best Rock band of the seventies.

I don't have the album "Born Again". But I have heard some of Gillan during his brief tenure with Black Sabbath. Good stuff. Didn't they do a song called "Zero the Hero"?

"Zero the Hero",Damn good song from a damn good album.I strongly urge you to buy,steal or download the Born Again album.

Did you hear his current album "Gillian's Inn"? It's pretty good.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
monkey said:
I'm just curious as to your age RA. Because if this were a Monty Python sketch I would have to say "Right! That's it then! This is too silly! Off you go!"

You obviously have not too much knowledge of the Beatles, or of their influence on modern music.

They produced 26 studio albums. They have sold 113.5 million copies. They are probably the single most influential musical group in the history of rock and roll music.

To say the size of their catalog is small is.....well, just plain silly!

By what list do the Beatles have 26 studio albums? Isn't it half that?

I'm a fan of the Beatles, but Resident Alien is quite right; in terms of quantity, the Beatles are superseded by many. Influence has nothing to do with it.

Attila the Professor said:
By what list do the Beatles have 26 studio albums? Isn't it half that?

I'm a fan of the Beatles, but Resident Alien is quite right; in terms of quantity, the Beatles are superseded by many. Influence has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, The Beatles only have 13 studio albums... and tons of remixes, a few EPs, etc...

monkey

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah, The Beatles only have 13 studio albums... and tons of remixes, a few EPs, etc...

Horsecrap!!!

I don't know where you're getting your information from. but frankly, you're full of (see above).

Frankly I'm tired of this whole thing.

OK, OK, OK You guys are Right.

I'm sorry, I'm wrong. The beatles were an insignificant little band that produced very little music.

Yup.

Whatever.

This reminds me of the Stalinist era in the Soviet Union where people were simply erased from history by deleting them from the history books, and historical photos, etc.

How's this? The Beatles never existed. OK? Long live Frank Patton.......or whatever the F*** his name is.

Later.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nobody - nobody - is claiming that the Beatles are neither significant nor brilliant. They are both, and influential to boot.

The point of contention is about the claim that they are astonishingly prolific in their output. They did release quite a few albums in a short time and they were of very high quality, but you would have to count the very similar UK and US releases as individual albums to get 26 as a number.

Also, monkey, the constant political commentary and accusations are something we might want to do without.

monkey

Attila the Professor said:
Also, monkey, the constant political commentary and accusations are something we might want to do without.

Political commentary???? and accusations???

Pardon Atilla, but what the *** are you talking about???

Some quotes please....???

monkey

monkey said:
Political commentary???? and accusations???

Pardon Atilla, but what the *** are you talking about???

Some quotes please....???

OK, whoops, I see. I criticized Stalin?

Is that it?

monkey

Frankly I don't give a F*** about the Beatles OK. John is dead, George is dead, Ringo is playing train conductor, and Paul is trying to divorce from a one legged whore.

What I object to is young punks who don't know from SH** trying to disrespect their elders.

If you don't know, then don't comment. If you say that the Beatles produced a 'very small' amount of music, then I'm sorry.......you are an idiot.

Show of hands???? Population of planet Earth Western Civilization? OK, it's confirmed. You are an idiot.

Case closed.

If you persist in this line, then you are just trying to disrespect for the sake of disrespecting.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
monkey said:
OK, whoops, I see. I criticized Stalin?

Is that it?

No, you criticized people here by analogy with Stalin, and that's uncalled for. Accusations of idiocy - and whether you're speaking of me is entirely immaterial - are also ill-advised.

monkey said:
Frankly I don't give a F*** about the Beatles OK. John is dead, George is dead, Ringo is playing train conductor, and Paul is trying to divorce from a one legged whore.

What I object to is young punks who don't know from SH** trying to disrespect their elders.

If you don't know, then don't comment. If you say that the Beatles produced a 'very small' amount of music, then I'm sorry.......you are an idiot.

Show of hands???? Population of planet Earth Western Civilization? OK, it's confirmed. You are an idiot.

Case closed.

If you persist in this line, then you are just trying to disrespect for the sake of disrespecting.

With age does not come respect. You got to earn that. Though skin does become tougher as we age... which makes we question your age. A little defensive, are we?

Right, time for a comment from someone who knows what they're fooking talking about. The Beatles pinnacled in 1966 with the Revolver album, an album so ahead of it's time it hasn't even been made yet. With this album, The Beatles had progressed popular music to a point to which the only thing the rest of the music industry could do was imitate. Listen to 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. That song obliterates the mind even now, god only knows what audiences in 1966 were making of it. There has never been anything like the Beatles before or after. The level of talent simply boggles the mind. Lennon and McCartney are FREAKS!!!!! Sgt. Pepper was a re-invention of pop, a re-invention that was required as they had pushed conventional pop to it's limits already.
As for Across The Universe, this song is a beautiful piece. Aliens on the planet Hexxari 6 will be crying and hugging each other with their eight arms.
To diss The Beatles is to diss the beauty of the human mind. Nothing else comes close. How many airports are named after Frank Zappa? The legacy of the Beatles is not surpassable.

Matinee Idyll

herr gruber said:
Nothing else comes close.

Heard of this guy? He was doing it all before The Fabs - with alot more heart too.

brian-wilson.jpg

And there is no way in hell Sgt. Pepper was required - what'd it result in, a bunch of increasingly pompous 'high-on-production-values-but-low-on-decent-songwriting' wanky concept albums? Yeah - great stuff.

They peaked with 'A Hard Days Night'.

Last edited:
Matinee Idyll said:
Heard of this guy? He was doing it all before The Fabs.

wilson.jpg

And there is no way in hell Sgt. Pepper was required - what'd it result in, a bunch of increasingly pompous 'high-on-production-values-but-low-on-decent-songwriting' wanky concept albums? Yeah - great stuff.

Concept albums that followed the trend set by the Beatles. I couldn't agree with you more. The Beatles did it and flew like doves. Everyone else did it and flew like cannonballs. Case proven.

monkey

Thanks Herr Gruber for a shaft of light in the darkness.

But truly the darkness is overwhelming and all encompassing.

It's truly no use. This younger generation, unlike other younger generations before them, disdains those who have come before them.

I'm not sure whether to condemn, or commend them.

I only know, with the wisdom of the powerless wizened old man, that they are misguided.

"Go forth yee misguided and ignorant youth...........may the gods bless you and smile upon you."

I am finished.

Matinee Idyll

herr gruber said:
Concept albums that followed the trend set by the Beatles. I couldn't agree with you more. The Beatles did it and flew like doves. Everyone else did it and flew like cannonballs. Case proven.

Heh - so that explains why S.F Sorrow kicks the living **** out of Pepper? Hell, even Satanic Majesties Requests owns Pepper. One of the weakest, flimsiest albums in The Fabs output.

Matinee Idyll said:
Heh - so that explains why S.F Sorrow kicks the living **** out of Pepper? Hell, even Satanic Majesties Requests owns Pepper. One of the weakest, flimsiest albums in The Fabs output.

I agree with you about Pepper. It is one of their weaker efforts but a weak Beatles effort is STILL unsurpassable. There can be nothing to touch it. Iconic is too weak a term. Every album the Beatles produced from 1965 onwards was completely different from it's predecessor in terms of style. It's as if artistically they were experiencing a re-birth annually. Mindblowing.