Across the Universe (song)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Good God, monkey, I go on about the decline of the West more than anyone I know; it's not about age. The only thing that anyone other than Matinee Idyll is arguing that even resembles an argument against the Beatles is that the number of their output is not as great as their influence would suggest. Their quality is still through the roof.

monkey

Attila the Professor said:
Good God, monkey, I go on about the decline of the West more than anyone I know; it's not about age. The only thing that anyone other than Matinee Idyll is arguing that even resembles an argument against the Beatles is that the number of their output is not as great as their influence would suggest. Their quality is still through the roof.

I'm sorry Attila, it just seems that this seemingly disrespect of the Beatles, and their contribution to modern music, is age/generation related.

It seems as if there are young punks, who have never done anything in their lives, who have probably never been anywhere in this wide world, are disrespecting those icons of past generations who have indeed influenced THEIR generation, apparently to a much larger degree than they themselves can even understand.

By the way.......young PUNK (not you Attila) ........ I CAN do the math. Can you understand where YOU came from?

ReggieSnake

Quality is quality: The Beatles were great musicians. IMO one could argue that some of their melodies are rather simple, but one could not argue that they didn't have a huge impact on popular music. I certainly enjoy it.

Monkey, I really find it hard to believe that you believe the stuff you're spouting. I mean, how smug.

Because I'm young I don't respect the past? Because I'm young, I don't understand art?

I dare say I'm more diverse in my artistic sensibilities than yourself. And let's not forget that the same accusations were leveled against "your generation." "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll," remember that slogan? That's your generation's motto, or so they said.

Fact is, nothing's changed. Commercial music is still ****. Commercial film is still ****.

But I never, ever said I dislike The Beatles; you just want to believe I did.... for what? I don't know.

monkey

ResidentAlien said:
Monkey, I really find it hard to believe that you believe the stuff you're spouting. I mean, how smug.

Because I'm young I don't respect the past? Because I'm young, I don't understand art?

Perhaps you do RA. Perhaps you understand Art to a higher degree than has ever been understood before.

Or maybe you think so, because you are young.

I'm not smug.

I'm old.

Disdain me at your peril.

You will have to deal with this world longer than I.

Good luck.

monkey said:
Perhaps you do RA. Perhaps you understand Art to a higher degree than has ever been understood before.

Or maybe you think so, because you are young.

I'm not smug.

I'm old.

Disdain me at your peril.

You will have to deal with this world longer than I.

Good luck.

Yes, your age releases you from responsibility for your smug superiority.

Monkey, you're full of ****.

monkey

ResidentAlien said:
Yes, your age releases you from responsibility for your smug superiority.
Monkey, you're full of ****.

Here you have truly displayed your character Resident Alien.

I won't verbally retaliate.

Have a nice day.

Matinee Idyll

I resent The Fabs status as sacred cows - it does their music no favours at all. Most of the 'innovations' the music press pin on The Beatles should infact be credited to other artists - but nope, if The Beatles did something, they must have done it first (and best).

Honestly, go off and listen to some of The Fabs British contemporaries in the mid 60's like The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Yardbirds, The Zombies, The Pretty Things, Dave Clark 5, The Moody Blues, etc. Suddenly The Beatle pedastal gets knocked down quite a few knotches.

The Zombies made two albums, and I still favour them over The Beatles. Quality over quantity, y'know? Rod and Chris' unique melodies and emotive songwriting easily best the output of Lennon and McCartney.

Not to mention what was going on in pop music in the States - Smokey Robinson blows McCartney out of the water when sweet pop is called for.

The arrogance that accompanies The Beatles, the blind belief that everything they did must be gold and nobody else did anything worth a damn is enough to really turn me off The Fabs.

Matinee Idyll said:
I resent The Fabs status as sacred cows - it does their music no favours at all. Most of the 'innovations' the music press pin on The Beatles should infact be credited to other artists - but nope, if The Beatles did something, they must have done it first (and best).

Honestly, go off and listen to some of The Fabs British contemporaries in the mid 60's like The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Yardbirds, The Zombies, The Pretty Things, Dave Clark 5, The Moody Blues, etc. Suddenly The Beatle pedastal gets knocked down quite a few knotches.

The Zombies made two albums, and I still favour them over The Beatles. Quality over quantity, y'know? Rod and Chris' unique melodies and emotive songwriting easily best the output of Lennon and McCartney.

Not to mention what was going on in pop music in the States - Smokey Robinson blows McCartney out of the water when sweet pop is called for.

The arrogance that accompanies The Beatles, the blind belief that everything they did must be gold and nobody else did anything worth a damn is enough to really turn me off The Fabs.

So, basically you're saying that alien ears will be offended by 'Across The Universe'.
Alien Emperor: This is sub-standard.
Alien 2: Target Earth. Target Earth.
Alien Emperor: This could have been avoided if they'd sent us '' Blah, Blah, Blah'' by The Zombies.
Alien 2: Or one of the Dave Clark Five albums.
Alien Emperor: Or The Monkees. We are, after all, Planet Average of the Hexxari 6 system. The Beatles are beyond our comprehension. Target Earth.

monkey

Apology

Apologies to everyone here on this thread, and especially to ResidentAlien for some of my posts here last night.

I didn't mean to get personal RA. I went off a little bit and I shouldn't have.

I forgot my medication (actually it was a bit too much medication....that was the problem).

I do that from time to time. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my limited brain can think.

You probably think I'm an A-hole, and you're probably right.

Sorry about that. I will try to keep more civil in the future. I hope we can continue to have conversations here.

Gear

Matinee Idyll said:

You dont get it. Nobody ever said that no one else did anything worth while and that the Beatles were the only good thing to happen to Earth.

Les Paul, Elvis Presly, Budy Holly, ect. all changed the world forever and were the inspirations for the Fabs. In fact, if it hadn't been for blues in the first place rock 'n roll as we know it wouldn't exsist, maybe even not at all.

The artists above are all recignized for their contributions to the world, so are the Beatles.

The Beatles simply contributed more advanced things than other bands. Sure, the Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, ect. did some good music but their music was nothing like the Beatles were producing. Every song the four Liverpool men wrote created a 'minieture solar system', especialy their work after Rubber Soul (actualy further back then that).

Most bands of the sixties were trying to imitate the Beatles and yes the Beatles imitated Elvis and Budd Holly and even mimicked other bands of the time but they did it in new and unique ways.

The Rolling Stones did some good music but it wasn't as creative and advanced as the Beatles.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
monkey said:

Anyone who admits this as often as I do is okay in my book.

And as we are dealing with matters of taste here, gents, let's recall that argument is not going to get anyone that far.

monkey said:
Apologies to everyone here on this thread, and especially to ResidentAlien for some of my posts here last night.

I didn't mean to get personal RA. I went off a little bit and I shouldn't have.

I forgot my medication (actually it was a bit too much medication....that was the problem).

I do that from time to time. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my limited brain can think.

Sorry about that. I will try to keep more civil in the future. I hope we can continue to have conversations here.

That's fine.

Just was trying to keep it all civilized--I lose my temper too at times. Didn't mean too. Sorry about that.