Believers and the Environment

Chose the answer that reflects your opinion

• Christians should be concerned about the care for our planet.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Ridiculous! Earth is just a mixture of rock and magma.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • We should be careful to protect the planet because it's everyone's duty. Faith or no Faith.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Environmentalism is a distraction from other Human and Social Issues.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

RedeemedChild

Hello All.

I just happened across this video regarding Christians and the Environment not to long ago and thought it was very thought provoking and I hope everyone here will find it interesting as well.

Personally I believe that God wants us to take care of the planet we live on. After all God instructed Adam and Eve to care for the garden of Eden and after their discharge from the sacred garden he instructed them to till the Earth and care for it and throughout the Bible God talks to man about caring for the Earth and God also vows to "destroy those who destroy the Earth".

And in Matthew 25:23 God says to those who are good servants "Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.".

moogaloop.swf

So anyway guys I'd like to hear what your idea is regarding Faith and Environmentalism.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Interesting topic. The first 'opinion' is misleading, however. One can be concerned, without exerting any effort, though.

Morning Bell

I'm a Christian and I certainly think it's a good idea to take care of the earth. However, my problem is that environmentalism has become a religion itself and has gone overboard about what's acceptable and what's not. I get angry when people cry over a forest being cut down, yet think nothing of people dying in a terrorist bombing or millions of people dying of AIDS in Africa every year.

Taking care of our planet is important but I don't think it should ever come before human life and progress.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Morning Bell said:
I'm a Christian and I certainly think it's a good idea to take care of the earth. However, my problem is that environmentalism has become a religion itself and has gone overboard about what's acceptable and what's not. I get angry when people cry over a forest being cut down, yet think nothing of people dying in a terrorist bombing or millions of people dying of AIDS in Africa every year.

Taking care of our planet is important but I don't think it should ever come before human life and progress.

Indeed (although, of course, sustaining the earth <I>is</I> sustaining human life, in the long term). But yeah, that's why I voted for both the 3rd and the 4th options.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
I voted for both
Your mod skills are strong indeed Attila.

I found sharing the hope I have in my heart incongruous with worrying about every little thing. Fortunately for many like me, the green bubble has burst, like it did in 1991 and 1973.
For those caught up in the moment, the future seemed to promise both apocalypse and transcendence in roughly equal measure. The New York Times and San Francisco magazine ran long feature stories on the uptick of upper-middle- class professionals who worried to their therapists about polar bears or who dug through the trash cans of co-workers to recycle plastic bottles, as though suffering from a kind of eco-OCD.
Green consumption became what sociologists call "positional consumption"--consumption that distinguishes one as elite--and few things were more ecopositional than the Toyota Prius, whose advantage over other hybrid cars was its distinctive look.

I Believe everyone should keep the earth clean whatever there faith is. I believe we should not call the earth mother earth or worship the earth. Because the Lord created the earth and he wants us to keep the earth clean, And take care of all the animals God created, he does not want us to hurt any of his creation.

AlivePoet

IndyWolf15 said:
I Believe everyone should keep the earth clean whatever there faith is. I believe we should not call the earth mother earth or worship the earth. Because the Lord created the earth and he wants us to keep the earth clean, And take care of all the animals God created, he does not want us to hurt any of his creation.

Q. Which sentence does not belong?

a) I Believe everyone should keep the earth clean whatever there faith is.
b) I believe we should not call the earth mother earth or worship the earth.
c) Because the Lord created the earth and he wants us to keep the earth clean, And take care of all the animals God created, he does not want us to hurt any of his creation.

A. B! ;) (It's kind of irrelevant not only to your own post, but also to the topic.)

I would agree, though, that environmentalism can be harmful. Anything that interferes with our global perspective has the potential to be harmful. In the west, it's never been more difficult to feign naivety of the world's situation, in terms of the true crises affecting people in less fortunate areas. So it seems that to avert our attention from the starving millions situation that seems hopeless, the media and our government is trying to impress upon western society that we can do better, that we can avoid those situations by making our world--North America--a better place. Local vs. global crises: the question seems not to be "what's more important?" but rather "what's more hopeful?" It's a society of blissful illusion with which we enshroud ourselves.

RedeemedChild

AlivePoet said:

c) Because the Lord created the earth and he wants us to keep the earth clean, And take care of all the animals God created, he does not want us to hurt any of his creation.

A. B! ;) (It's kind of irrelevant not only to your own post, but also to the topic.)

I would agree, though, that environmentalism can be harmful. Anything that interferes with our global perspective has the potential to be harmful. In the west, it's never been more difficult to feign naivety of the world's situation, in terms of the true crises affecting people in less fortunate areas. So it seems that to avert our attention from the starving millions situation that seems hopeless, the media and our government is trying to impress upon western society that we can do better, that we can avoid those situations by making our world--North America--a better place. Local vs. global crises: the question seems not to be "what's more important?" but rather "what's more hopeful?" It's a society of blissful illusion with which we enshroud ourselves.

I understand were you're coming from AlivePoet, but I must remind you that the Environmentalism movement is not solely centered around North America because more and more countries are becoming aware of the whole "endangered planet" situation. Even the UK and China are concerned.

AlivePoet

RedeemedChild said:
I understand were you're coming from AlivePoet, but I must remind you that the Environmentalism movement is not solely centered around North America because more and more countries are becoming aware of the whole "endangered planet" situation. Even the UK and China are concerned.

Oh certainly. I was speaking more narrowly about North America as an "e.g.", if you will. But it's right of you to acknowledge the global situation.

AlivePoet said:

I won't say anything to that.