Indy 5 news 2018

Pale Horse

Staff member
I'm sending my dish, back to the kitchen...

Pale Horse said:
Well well well, sometimes I am wrong.

Eat+Crow.jpg

Take note boys and girls, it doesn't happen often. But when it does, I'm quick to make it right.

It's gonna be a long 3 years.

It's already been over two and we think we have 3 more to go? I was wrong about being wrong.

I should have listened to Finn

Raiders90

13 years from 2008 is 2021.
13 years from 1957 is 1970.

Ford's Indy will be in a hospital bed, dying of dementia, surrounded by Mutt and Marion and maybe a grandchild, as he recounts an amazing adventure. He gets help from his son in reconstructing the memory as his Alzheimer's rattled brain can't remember it properly. The word "mansplain" is used somewhere. He falls asleep and dies. End.

Last edited:

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
I am certain that either of the two following scenarios will happen:

Ford will either:

Not be involved;

or

his screentime will be under 40 minutes

If I am wrong, come 7/9/21, ban me, that is how certain I am.
Raiders,
I won't take you up on that wager, as I really don't want to see you leave the forum. Let me tell you something--I understand your concerns. I think a lot of people on the board do. Time isn't stopping, and Harrison only has so long. But starting to fearmonger with every post isn't helping. Freaking out over announcements with little to no information doesn't help either. Implying that Kathleen Kennedy runs some sort of grand conspiracy to get rid of Ford from Indy also is a stretch. I really want an Indy flick with HF in it again. And for now, that seems to be the case.

Pale Horse said:
I'm sending my dish, back to the kitchen...

It's already been over two and we think we have 3 more to go? I was wrong about being wrong.

I should have listened to Finn
Might be time for me to order my dish, considering that I thought up until now that Kasdan was just doing a little rewrite. :(. Mind if I take yours?

Z dweller said:
Assume = speculate, no less than anyone else's post.

The only certainty we have at this stage is that there will be no new Indy movie for at least another three years. :(
Going by Disney's announcements, however, Ford is involved in the flick, as well as Spielberg (and perhaps Lucas). For now, until a change arises, we can only view it as a Ford-helmed movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z dweller

Chill out everyone, this song seems appropriate - in more ways than one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sovVYInjHjw?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Going by Disney's announcements, however, Ford is involved in the flick, as well as Spielberg (and perhaps Lucas).
Those announcements predate the latest postponement.

iu

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tH2w6Oxx0kQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sovVYInjHjw?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Lovely song. Terrible idea.
I, for one, despise the idea of bookends. I was even happy when they got rid of them for Young Indy :)sick: , I know!). When executed poorly, they can completely rob a story of its general flow, and oftentimes to me seem rather, well, cringey. I don't want to see Harrison sitting down in an armchair for a grand total of ten minutes, telling a story to his grandchildren/illegitimate children. That's not Indy.
It'd be a lot better if they introduced the new Indy in an Action Prologue (a la LC) and then just never mentioned him again when the film kicked off.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Those announcements predate the latest postponement.

iu
giphy.gif

Well, no. All they've announced is that the film has been postponed. The cast and director, until further announcement, stays the same.

Raiders90

TheFirebird1 said:
I, for one, despise the idea of bookends. I was even happy when they got rid of them for Young Indy :)sick: , I know!). When executed poorly, they can completely rob a story of its general flow, and oftentimes to me seem rather, well, cringey. I don't want to see Harrison sitting down in an armchair for a grand total of ten minutes, telling a story to his grandchildren/illegitimate children. That's not Indy.
It'd be a lot better if they introduced the new Indy in an Action Prologue (a la LC) and then just never mentioned him again when the film kicked off.

That's exactly what you're gonna get, if Harrison doesn't die by 2020. Enjoy Harrison confined to a hospital bed or rocking chair while Chris Pratt makes irreverent your momma jokes at the bad guy.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
I don't want to see Harrison sitting down in an armchair for a grand total of ten minutes, telling a story to his grandchildren/illegitimate children.
It doesn't have to be like that.

You are relatively new here, but we discussed extensively a different structure, where there are two parallel stories - one in the past, one in the "present" - linked by macguffin, baddie or both.

You could get away with 30-35 minutes of screen time for Old Indy, with the rest for Young Indy (although you couldn't call that bookends, granted).

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
That's exactly what you're gonna get, if Harrison doesn't die by 2020.
Are we betting on it now or something? I get that he's definitely up in the years, but why this macabre fascination with him dying? Hell, at this point the project seems tied down to him more than anyone else. Ford brings in money the way others don't. It's a nostalgia thing, sure, but there's much more money to be brought in with the grump still alive and in a major role than dead or confined to bookends.

Raiders90

TheFirebird1 said:
Are we betting on it now or something? I get that he's definitely up in the years, but why this macabre fascination with him dying? Hell, at this point the project seems tied down to him more than anyone else. Ford brings in money the way others don't. It's a nostalgia thing, sure, but there's much more money to be brought in with the grump still alive and in a major role than dead or confined to bookends.

I am personally hoping he dies before then. Rather that than humiliate him with a 10-35 minute cameo. Burn it all down.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
It doesn't have to be like that.

You are relatively new here, but we discussed extensively a different structure, where there are two parallel stories - one in the past, one in the "present" - linked by macguffin, baddie or both.

You could get away with 30-35 minutes of screen time for Old Indy, with the rest for Young Indy (although you couldn't call that bookends, granted).
Granted, I'm a noob at the forums, but I believe we're discussing two completely different ideas of bookends, as you stated. The idea you're suggesting is alternating storylines, which believe it or not I enjoy a lot more.
(Heck, even the Secret of the Blues bookends weren't terrible, because they at least had a complete story with 'em. Do something like that and I could respect it a lot more).

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
I am personally hoping he dies before then. Rather that than humiliate him with a 10-35 minute cameo. Burn it all down.
Alrighty then, mate. :rolleyes:.
Honestly, though, what? You're fully welcome to disagree with Disney/Lucasfilm's handling of Indy 5 (which is less than subpar at this point), but wishing death on people? Remember that he has a life outside of filmmaking (wife, kids, etc.) who would no doubt grieve over his passing. Just because we don't get our way for a movie doesn't mean you should say things like that. It's childish and quite frankly stupid.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
The idea you're suggesting is alternating storylines, which believe it or not I enjoy a lot more.
Yes: if they are still going to have Ford in it, this would be my favorite scenario.

And at any rate, I doubt if Ford would go for brief bookends along the lines you and others described.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Yes: if they are still going to have Ford in it, this would be my favorite scenario.

And at any rate, I doubt if Ford would go for brief bookends along the lines you and others described.
I would prefer a film with mostly Ford, but this is honestly my second favorite scenario. If Spielberg and co. could divide the film cleanly (i.e. a few epic scenes with HF, a few with Gosling/Ingruber/Pratt/Ehrenreich/Nick Offerman :D) the film could easily rank as one of my favorite Indy films.

IndyForever

We all knew a big delay was coming but 3 years is just insane (I think Spielberg has lost faith in the project why else would he line up 2 other non commercial movies instead).

Its at least 2 years away from shooting any footage.

Spielberg is only going to direct if Ford stars in the entire film as Indy. That is a given. If Disney try to sideline Ford then Spielberg will walk away forever he has zero interest in shooting an Indy movie without Harrison attached.

I think its vapourware now and KOTCS was most likely the last hurrah for Ford.

Udvarnoky

That Spielberg and Ford are a package deal is a good point, and the main reason I'm not quite convinced they are indeed transitioning away from the approach where Ford gets full screentime. Time will tell of course, but I feel like Spielberg would walk in that scenario, yet he supposedly remains committed.

It comes back to what I've been saying about either doing Indy 5 straight-up or going full reboot. This hybrid approach the fans keep touting - and that Spielberg has never once hinted toward - is poison. I don't think Ford is going to be interested in playing second banana, and I don't think Spielberg is going to be interested without Ford. If he's interested at all.