Colin Williams: American or British?

I Don Quixote

I was wondering whether or not the man Marion married, Colin Williams, was British or American. Mutt said in the movie that he was killed while in the RAF, which might mean he was British. But plenty of Americans joined the RAF during the duration of the war. Indy has friends from all corneres of the world, so it would make sense for him to introduce a British friend to Marion. But what do you guys think? I know there isn't a whole lot of info on the guy, but let's hear your opinion.

kongisking

I said:
I was wondering whether or not the man Marion married, Colin Williams, was British or American. Mutt said in the movie that he was killed while in the RAF, which might mean he was British. But plenty of Americans joined the RAF during the duration of the war. Indy has friends from all corneres of the world, so it would make sense for him to introduce a British friend to Marion. But what do you guys think? I know there isn't a whole lot of info on the guy, but let's hear your opinion.

I always assumed he was a Brit, based on the RAF reference. I don't think Koepp would have gone out of his way to mention Colin being in the RAF if the man wasn't intended to be British, as when you hear the Royal Air Force, you think of Englishmen. Just my interpretation.

Pale Horse

Staff member
A pristine example of 'too many words' in a screenplay that didn't add to anything whatsoever to the action or plot.

Stoo

His nationality is mentioned in the movie!

Colin Williams was British. In the film, Mutt says:

"No. No, he was British! My dad was a R.A.F. pilot. He was a war hero not some schoolteacher!"

:gun:

kongisking

Stoo said:
Colin Williams was British. In the film, Mutt says:

"No. No, he was British! My dad was a R.A.F. pilot. He was a war hero not some schoolteacher!"

:gun:

Egad, I forgot this as well! D'oh! I'm not as big an IndyFan as Stoo! NOOOOO! :hat:

HenryJunior

Well in an effort to not waste this page,
Why is Mutt blind to the fact his new father figure is still a pretty cool dude and not just a teacher? That's constantly his fallback, is it just plain resentment?
:hat:

I Don Quixote

Good idea Henry Junior.
I completely agree. Indy is a great guy, who has seen and knows so much. I would love someone like that as a father. Plus, he really seems to love Marion, so Mutt shouldn't get in the way of that.

Lao_Che

HenryJunior said:
Why is Mutt blind to the fact his new father figure is still a pretty cool dude and not just a teacher? That's constantly his fallback, is it just plain resentment?

I said:
Good idea Henry Junior.
I completely agree. Indy is a great guy, who has seen and knows so much. I would love someone like that as a father. Plus, he really seems to love Marion, so Mutt shouldn't get in the way of that.

It's clear from his attempt to try the hat on for size that Mutt has warmed to Indy by movie's end. Also, neither of you are looking at it from Mutt's perspective. He hasn't seen everything you have. ;)

I Don Quixote

I really don't think it's clear. He may want to try it on, foreshadowing a possibility of him following in his father's footsteps, but that doesn't mean he's completely warmed to him yet.

HenryJunior

Well when Marion revealed Indy was Mutt's father, Mutt had tagged a long with a guy who had fought Several armed KGB agents on moving vehicles, fended off acrobatic native guards with blow guns, and found a magnetic skull made of diamond just by following Ox's FOOTPRINTS.

I wish my teachers could do that :D

But then while riding in the back of a Russian transport in the Jungle:
"No. No, he was British! My dad was a R.A.F. pilot. He was a war hero not some schoolteacher!"!"

Stoo

HenryJunior said:
This thread is about Colin Williams so the best way to "not waste this page" would be to continue talking about him. There are dozens of other threads to discuss Mutt's attitude towards Indy, no need to derail this one.:p

I wonder what type of pilot Colin would have been. Did he fly a fighter during the Battle of Britain or was he a bomber pilot who died in a mission over Germany during the later stages of the war?