A Guide to Gear and Props. What to buy?

The_Raiders

MKVII Bag Strap Question

I had a afew questions and I was wondering if anyone could answer them. I've noticed that almost every Indy gas mask bag prop/reproduction you can get has the light brown, really thick leather strap, but he only has a strap like that in one movie, it all the others its a much thinner almost black strap with a roller buckle.... Where could I find a strap like this? :confused:

Mickiana

I bought the Todds bag strap. It's actually dark brown and isn't particularly thick and has the typical polished silvery buckle. It isn't a roller buckle. It does the trick and looks pretty good.

The_Raiders

Mickiana said:
I bought the Todds bag strap. It's actually dark brown and isn't particularly thick and has the typical polished silvery buckle. It isn't a roller buckle. It does the trick and looks pretty good.

In my quest for the perfect KOTCS/TOD style strap I found that a serpatine belt makes a PERFECT strap, you have to work with it alot and kinda make your own strap but it works out GREAT in the end. (y)

aJakeinthePlane

would anyone advise against buying the noble collection whip replica. I dont know much about whips other than they're pretty expensive and this one comes with an Indy wall mount.

Deckard

aJakeinthePlane said:
would anyone advise against buying the noble collection whip replica. I dont know much about whips other than they're pretty expensive and this one comes with an Indy wall mount.

Yes, I would advise strongly against it, unless you don't care AT ALL about the ability to actually use it as a functioning whip.

Also if your strict about details, it has some other things wrong with the way it looks. The wall mount is meh to say the least.

Seriously Noble Collection is garbage, please don't waste your money on anything from them. Anything.

(n) (n)

DocWhiskey

I've never seen a picture of their Raiders jacket besides the one on their site, but the feedback I've read is always positive.

If you want to save some green, don't buy it through their website. They usually have a brand new raiders jacket they put up for bidding through ebay every week or so. I've seen it go as cheap as $35.

time-raider

I bought a hat for about $50s about a year back when KotCS came out. Its really nice and eventually gets all the right bends and creases. It is all leather so it water proof. its at http://www.outbackleather.com/crushable-leather-hat-brown.html

I have also been looking for a bag and at first i wanted one that was accurate, but after a while, mostly dealing with the disappointment of my imatation jacket(n) , I figured i wanted something functionable as well. So I finally found a bag that doesn't look exactly like the one in the films, but it works and is water proof, as well it is capable of holding a laptop so if your half way around the world you still keep in contact with the rest of us here at the Raven.:D so here it is http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown

the coolest thing about this bag is that it comes with a 100 year warrenty! So bam! when you have retired and you "Mutt" starts his/her adventures they will have something handed down straight from you.(y)

deckard24

time-raider said:
I bought a hat for about $50s about a year back when KotCS came out. Its really nice and eventually gets all the right bends and creases. It is all leather so it water proof. its at http://www.outbackleather.com/crushable-leather-hat-brown.html

I have also been looking for a bag and at first i wanted one that was accurate, but after a while, mostly dealing with the disappointment of my imatation jacket(n) , I figured i wanted something functionable as well. So I finally found a bag that doesn't look exactly like the one in the films, but it works and is water proof, as well it is capable of holding a laptop so if your half way around the world you still keep in contact with the rest of us here at the Raven.:D so here it is http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown

the coolest thing about this bag is that it comes with a 100 year warrenty! So bam! when you have retired and you "Mutt" starts his/her adventures they will have something handed down straight from you.(y)
Great stuff man! :hat:

I like that they both don't scream Indy, but they have that same sort of vintage feel.

I may have to look into a bag like that! I almost bought one of these a while back, but never got around to it:http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Men...egory/accessories/bags/PRDOVR~70636/70636.jsp

indyclone25

well i'm a believer in todds new downtowner fedora --- great hat for 100 bucks --- it is stiff but that means it will keeps its shape , i havent encountered any rainstorms yet that have soaked the hat yet so i can't tell you if the color runs or anything unpositive , but so far i love the look of the hat
newindyhat015.jpg

Separate stickys?

Has any of the mods given thought to breaking this one sticky into separate ones, as an easier resource guide? The search feature only helps so much, and I'm digging around trying to find the best prop replicas and digging through pages of comments on whips and jackets, as I'm sure Outfitters don't like digging thorugh prop comments. Maybe break them down by the 4 Movies and also YIJC Props, EU props (expanded universe to cover anything not in a film, vidoe games, books, comics, etc). Maybe do a similar thing for Whips, shirts, hats, bags, jackets, boots and belts?

Just an idea to make everything easier for people to have a handy resource guide.

With my pre-order of the Sideshow Idol, I picked up the prop bug and just have been trying to research what is out there and finding it har dto sort through EVERYTHIG when it's in multiple threads. I'd be more than willing to help out in organizing some of the existing threads and merging that info into separate ones.

Deckard

lao che & sons said:
Deckard, where did you get that small bag that hold lao che's coins? I'm interested.:)

I don't remember where exactly, but its a suede marble pouch. Supposedly they reused the ToD props for the Goonies a year later. Mikeys marble bag that he swaps for the jewels and ultimately saves the town with, was that same coin pouch from Club Obi Wan.

lao che & sons

Deckard said:
I don't remember where exactly, but its a suede marble pouch. Supposedly they reused the ToD props for the Goonies a year later. Mikeys marble bag that he swaps for the jewels and ultimately saves the town with, was that same coin pouch from Club Obi Wan.

oh, thanks for that info:)

Grinnanbearit

I have a Peters Brothers Indy Custom Straw for summer time daily wear, and am well pleased with it. You select the style (Raiders, Temple or Crusade) and it comes fully pre-shaped. Although lacquered, as all quality straw (actually hemp) hats are, it's still very supple and breathes well. As for a genuine wool felt fedora, I prefer The Movie Shop's (UK) Adventurer wool felt. It comes untapered and open crowned so you get to customize the bash (crease) and brim to your liking. Likewise, I wear both my hats, the sable brown and grey clipper, daily in all kinds of weather. Needless to say, I've done very little extra to make them look distressed. I'll post a photo or two when I attain that great stature here on the boards.

Grinnanbearit

On the Subject of Hats

I have a Peters Brothers Indy Custom Straw for summer time daily wear, and am well pleased with it. You select the style (Raiders, Temple or Crusade) and it comes fully pre-shaped. Although lacquered, as all quality straw (actually hemp) hats are, it's still very supple and breathes well. As for a genuine wool felt fedora, I prefer The Movie Shop's (UK) Adventurer wool felt. It comes untapered and open crowned so you get to customize the bash (crease) and brim to your liking. Likewise, I wear both my hats, the sable brown and grey clipper, daily in all kinds of weather. Needless to say, I've done very little extra to make them look distressed. I'll post a photo or two when I attain that great stature here on the boards.[/QUOTE]

lao che & sons

Nurhachi1991 said:
Oh I'm the same way bro I have spent alot of money on things because they had to bee screen accurate I spent 250.00 on a Pharoahs jacket from American Graffiti

But when you don;t have the cash a nice substitute doesnt hurt (y)

from where? I love american graffiti and the pharoahs had the coolest car in the entire film, that 1951 mercury with the white pin stripe and those hub caps(y)

forget it. I found one here going to 250 http://www.joethepharoah.com/CollectableItems.html

Indy's brother

"leap of faith" painting & Elsa's lighter

Anyone ever buy one from this guy? Looks pretty good, I emailed him and he said he sells it un-matted for $25+shipping. It looks like a solid buy!

misc%20016.jpg

As long as I am talking about this stuff today, I am ordering Elsa's lighter ($45+shipping)from this guy as soon as he is back in production for the year, which should be any day now:

200_gen5_s2_1730.jpg

They're good pieces! They're at least worth a ticket to Marrakech...