The novel reprints are out

DrHapgood

Are they reprinting the Film Trilogy Novelizations?

I've always wanted to read the one for ToD since a friend told me Willie is actually rather quiet in it.

tupogirl

|ZiR| said:
Well, seeing how those won't be shipping until may 20th that suggests to me that they aren't the old editions but the reprints, which would mean that the ten novels listed are indeed being reprinted and that would include Peril at Delphi.

Good point. :)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hollow Earth and McCoy? Ranks as one of my favourites, actually. Hollow Earth has a cameo of one other famous character and a certain MacGuffin... Overall, quite enjoyable, at least, I think so.

Crack that whip

I finally saw the reprints yesterday at Borders; they had Indiana Jones and the:

... Seven Veils
... Genesis Deluge
... Sky Pirates
... White Witch
... Philosopher's Stone
... Hollow Earth
... Secret of the Sphinx

I haven't seen the other five, but I also have other bookstores to check (though I'm just looking out of curiosity; I already have old printings of all of them, and I don't want to pay full price for a complete set of them again just to have extra copies - if I can find nice used copies, though, I'll snatch them up).

I find it a little odd that they had three or four copies of each of these, yet not a single copy of any of the other five. To me, that implies they've gotten just these in and not the others, but why would they not stock the full series (especially when it is a series, with continuing storylines from book to book, at least within each author's run)?

Last edited:

Indy fan 235

metalinvader said:
My Borders had a nice Sky Pirates display for the books.I already have them so there is no need for me to purchase them again but I do need to get that display.;)

That's a nice display, I wound up getting it from the Borders where I live.

Billy Ray

Somehow I missed out on these books when they were originally released...didn't even know they existed until the other day when I saw them at Wal-Mart. Are they worth picking up? Which ones would you guys reccommend?

Are they better than the Star Wars books? After the "Thrawn Trilogy", there were only a few of them that I thought were really good and had the "Star Wars feel" to them. Do these book shave the "Indy feel"?

Crack that whip

Short answer: yes, IMO they're good, and very Indy-esque. Slightly longer answer: again IMO, the Martin Caidin ones aren't as good as the others, but they're still worth reading, and the others are really good. Do note they have a continuing chronology, so you're probably best off reading them in order.

I do think they're truer to Indy than a lot of the Star Wars novels are to Star Wars.

Agent Crab

I saw some at my local Hy-Vee the other day. I may consider in picking up a couple. Though, the Sky Pirates one has my intrest, as well for the Dinosaur Eggs one.

BlackSleep

Stay away from the Martin Caidin novels (Sky Pirates and White Witch) and you'll do fine. Also steer clear of the final MacGregor novel, Interior World. Those are examples of crappy Indy novels. The rest are great, especially the later ones by Max McCoy. My personal favorite is Secret of the Sphinx by McCoy.

Billy Ray

I picked up Philosopher's Stone by Max McCoy tonight as everyone seems to agree that his novels are the better ones. I almost got Secret of the Sphinx...not sure what prompted me to put it down and pick up Philosopher's Stone. Well, I'll give it a go...I'm sure I will pick up some more.

BlackSleep

The thing with McCoy's novels is that there's a running sub-plot that arcs across his novels in the prologues and epilogues (oddly enough, involving a crystal skull)...so that part will make more sense if you read them in order. However, I didn't originally read them order, and still got the overall picture (and enjoyed them immensely).

Billy Ray

Ok, well I saw the other thread about the "Reading order of the novels", but that just links to a chronological order of all of the books. Is there a list somewhere of the order they were released? I started looking at the copyright dates in the various novels, but my wife was getting impatient so I just picked one:rolleyes: Is the list inside the cover in any kind of order?

Lao_Che

Billy Ray said:
Ok, well I saw the other thread about the "Reading order of the novels", but that just links to a chronological order of all of the books. Is there a list somewhere of the order they were released? I started looking at the copyright dates in the various novels, but my wife was getting impatient so I just picked one:rolleyes: Is the list inside the cover in any kind of order?

Release order and reading order are the same with the adult novels.

(Delphi, Giants, Veils, Deluge, Legacy, Interior, Sky Pirates, White Witch, Philosopher's Stone, Dinosaur Eggs, Hollow Earth, Secret of the Sphinx)

You can read the four McCoy ones in order without spoiling the previous ones but as said they have their own sub plot, and the MacGregor/Caidin books have spoiler references to previous stories but are stand alone quests for the most part.

indyt

Way of the dodo said:
Have they discontinued the individual novelizations? (I only need Crusade and Doom, don't wanna buy the three-in-one)

Nope. I saw those novels at Wal-Mart today. I am so excited they have re-published these books. I bought The Genesis Deluge and Seven Veils today. Cant wait to read them.

TeamAndino

After I saw Indy 4 that passion for Indiana Jones that I had as a kid came back. I wanted to read up on every single possible story I could find and when I found out about the novels from the 90's I got excited to try and track them down, almost like my own Indy adventure, but since they re-released them Ive thankfully been finding them a little easier then if I were tracking down originals. The only books I haven't seen yet are Unicorns Legacy, Interior World, White Witch, Dinosaur Eggs, Hollow Earth, and Secret of the Sphinx. Im still looking for them so if anyone finds a specific book at a certain store please let me know.