Anybody else download Indy IM demo?

Indycrusader

I downloaded the Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine demo from LucasArts. I'm wondering what exactly is supposed to happen. I don't know what exactly the demo includes, but all I can get Indy to do is walk around, swim in this little thing of water, and then climb up and drop into this pool of water with a skeleton and pick up a book. Is there more to this demo? Me, who has always stunk at computer games, doesn't know if there is anything else you can do. The instructions said that each level has 10 items to pick up. If the demo the whole first level, all I found was the book. HELP!!! All I'm wondering is if there's more to it than what I've said. I understand it's just a free demo, but I thought there would be more to it than that. So if anybody else has downloaded it, and knows more, I'd appreciate any help. :)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
If I remember correctly, there should parts from the level 6 and 8 in the demo.

Can you get Indy to jump? Usually he jumps, when you press Alt. If you can, then can you get Indy to Push/Pull? He does that, when you press Ctrl. Can you get Indy to use his whip? He pulls his whip out, when you press 1. You can crack it by pressing Ctrl. Hope this helps!

Indycrusader

Thanks, VP, I guess I just forgot to mention that he does all his moves, but there's just nowhere to go. Unless I'm just missing some place where he can get out or something.
?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Go forward, and then left. Climb up. There should be a movable block, if I remember correctly. Is there?

Indycrusader

Uh, VP, where exactly is this block? In the demo, when you first star, going forward just s few steps, drops you to a floor not to far below. Small drop. And if I turn left before that, there is just wall. There is one block I thought he could possibly move, but unless I'm not doing it right, when I get him to start pushing it doesn't go anywhere.

Indycrusader

Wait!!! That block I said I was trying to pull, I got it to move!!! I had forgotten (told you I wasn't good at PC games) to pull it. I had just been pushing. So I got as far as the lava. Then I fell in. :eek:

*IndyC leaves board embarrassed*
*IndyC comes back to finish*

Anyway, I was trying to jump to that next ledge, and then there was this burst of stupid lava. Is that right? I am supposed to jump to that ledge, huh? I just have to time it right. And there's that other part in the game. The big underwater part. Or big on top of water part, where the map shows this room, and those four pillars sticking out of the water. Is there any way I can get out of the water right there? I couldn't figure it out. I did get that bar of whatever it was down by the post. And I killed all those stupid fish!!! I'm so proud of myself. Cause I already said I stink at PC games.

Anyhow, if you know about the lava or water parts, just tell me. Thanks. :)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indycrusader said:
Anyway, I was trying to jump to that next ledge, and then there was this burst of stupid lava. Is that right? I am supposed to jump to that ledge, huh? I just have to time it right.

Yeah, jump right after the burst.

Originallu posted by Indycrusader
And there's that other part in the game. The big underwater part. Or big on top of water part, where the map shows this room, and those four pillars sticking out of the water. Is there any way I can get out of the water right there? I couldn't figure it out.

You don't have to. Just go through the lava room and continue. And remember to save (If you can. I don't remember, can you. You'll have to test.)!

Yolegoman

Hit "M" to get your map out. Huge help.

And yes, you can save, so do so! I have never beat even the demo without dying once, so saving is a must!

Yolegoman

spohlso

I downloaded the demo years ago. I had it on the PC at my work. (Shhh... don't tell anyone.) It took me forever to figure out those stupid blocks. It was pretty cool once I did. You eventually get to a water part and it ends with you driving a jeep. I liked it so much that I bought the game. The actual level that it's based on is much larger.

Indycrusader

Drive a jeep? Cool! :cool: I saw that in the instructions, but I thought, they can't have that in here, it's just a demo.

I died on the lava part again. So I guess I'll save it and try again. Oh, and I even killed those scorpions. The first time I went through, there was only one, the second time there were two. Hmmm......

I jumped right after the burst, but he didn't go far enough, and landed in the lava. Is there anything special I need to do, or just try again? I know in some games I play, to jump short is one key, and to jump a long distance is a different key. Just wondering if that applied here.

spohlso

If I recall correctly, you need to take a running jump and you need to wait until the very last possible second to jump. With me, it got to the point that I was saving after every conceivable hurdle was cleared just so I wouldn't have to do any of them twice!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, spohlo's correct, as far as I remember. You should try a running jump, where you run and then jump. That carries a lot farther than a normal jump.

If I remember right, I downloaded this demo after I completed the game, so I just played it through in five minutes without a scratch! :D

Indycrusader

Uh, huh, VP. And how many times did it take you when you first bought the game? ;)

I'll try that running jump, and see what happens. I hate the sounds the game makes once you cross with the whip to the next part. The part with the scorpions and water stuff. I like to play my games at night when it's dark. I dunno, I just don't like playing in the light. But anyway, I was creeping myself out when I was playing the other night, cause I was afraid something was gonna jump out at Indy, and I'm sitting here in the dark. I didn't want to scare myself. I guess tht means they did a good job of making you feel like you're there, though. :)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indycrusader said:
Uh, huh, VP. And how many times did it take you when you first bought the game? ;)

One. I used the all weapons and god mode codes! :D

Indycrusader

VP said:
One. I used the all weapons and god mode codes! :D

What's that?

Anyway, I did it!!!! I jumped through all that stuff. I ran across those falling things, moved out of the way of the stupid boulder, and then wondered what to do next. Do I crawl past Mr. Scopio, or do I figure some other way to get out of here?

My little secret, I died each time, but got it right each second time, and am now wondering what to do. The map is so big now, my eyes hurt just to look at it. So I'm simply relying on, "Can I get in there or not." Or "Where can I go next." Any suggstions on Mr. Scorpio? I'll prob just attempt it myself. I hate to keep asking what to do next, but PC games don't like me or something, and I can never figure out what to do, even though I love them. (I can sometimes figure it out, like climbing on the block and swinging with the whip)

Oh, and I also got to the point of saving after every hurdle. ;)

spohlso

You have to shoot him. If you're where I think you are, you have to grab an aritfact, but doing so will release a scorpion (or maybe two, it's been a while.) Then you have to turn around fast and shoot them... shoot them both.

Indycrusader

spohlso said:
Then you have to turn around fast and shoot them... shoot them both.

Funny, spohlso.

Anyway, you weren't thinking of the part I was, I was talking about this little space where you can crawl in, and there is this scorpion waiting for you. But, I found out, that you can't go there.

So when I found nowhere else to go, out of curiosity, I jumped down the shaft next to Scorpio. (I didn't realize there was a ladder :) ) Then I went to that part you were talking about. And I pushed that button. But, the game shows a grate opening, and so I went to the grate, but the computer wouldn't let me through. Was that cause it's not part of the demo, or what? And I couldn't find that door that it shows opening.

Also, I got to the jeep part, and since I'm terrible about driving PC vehicles, I fell into the river. So I had the game saved right at the part where he exits the volcano. So I got in the jeep again, but didn't get to finish. My point is, the first time I got in the jeep, there was nobody around. The second time, some people started shooting at me. Anybody know what's happening? Should I shoot back? Or just keep going? Thanks for all your help so far. :)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Is there a little tent, with a medipack inside? And some Russians up the hill with rifles? Then you just have hop in the jeep, and drive for your life!

BTW, about the cheatcodes, are you sure you want to use them?