TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #26
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
And it'd be you.
Why do you say that ? You seem to be a bit angry Clint. What's wrong ?
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #27
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"Why do you say that ?"
Cause it's a fact....

"You seem to be a bit angry Clint."
Who's Clint?

"What's wrong ?"
Your perceptions?
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:53 AM   #28
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
"A fact" ? Really ? Do you have any evidence that absolutely everyone agrees with this "fact" because I have seen evidence that suggests that not everyone does. Or is it just that the people YOU respect (and yourself) agree with it , therefore making it a "fact" ? "Clint" is a fairly common shortening of "Clinton" Don't you like it ? Nothing wrong with my perceptions my boy, but feel free to think there is ! My "perception" is that you need to lighten up.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #29
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
The people who want to try to cast dispersions on the Vinland map are to a man the same kind of delusional or agenda'd people who try to say that we never landed on the moon.

Their arguments are, to a one, a load of hogwash.

""Clint" is a fairly common shortening of "Clinton""
Do I shorten your name without your permission? Where the FK do you get off thinking you have any right to be so familiar with me?

"My "perception" is that you need to lighten up."
You can lighten this up by sucking very hard on it.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #30
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
The people who want to try to cast dispersions on the Vinland map are to a man the same kind of delusional or agenda'd people who try to say that we never landed on the moon.

Their arguments are, to a one, a load of hogwash.

""Clint" is a fairly common shortening of "Clinton""
Do I shorten your name without your permission? Where the FK do you get off thinking you have any right to be so familiar with me?

"My "perception" is that you need to lighten up."
You can lighten this up by sucking very hard on it.
Really Clint you sem to be very agro at the moment. Why ? Why the gratuitous insult in your last line ? You are of the opinion that the "debate" over the Vinland map is "a load of hogwash". Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However the debate still exists, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Just because you have made up your mind doesn't mean that everybody else has. However you should feel free to rail against the world if it pleases you ! I'll "think I have any rights" that I want to. If you don't like it that's your problem.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #31
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,937
Don't waste your time with him, Otto. It's not worth it.
Unless, of course, you're looking to "try the local sewer"
(as Dr. Jones would put it).

To answer your query from before, I believe the 1st
excavations at L'Anse-aux-Meadows started in 1968.

If you're looking for an excellent tale in the same vein,
then may I suggest the fantastic 1974 Disney film,
"Island at the Top of the World". A Jules Verne style
adventure about the discovery of living Vikings which
is based on a book, "The Lost Ones", by Ian Cameron.
Maybe you know it?

Last edited by Stoo : 10-27-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Info on "Island at the Top of the World"
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #32
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
"Island On Top Of The World" (I need a "scratch head" icon !) I THINK that I may have seen it, many years ago one sunday afternoon on television. Is there an airship involved in it somewhere ? (Oh and thanks for the advice !)
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #33
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,937
Yes, the beautiful "Hyperion". Sounds like you've seen the film!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #34
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"the debate still exists"
Not in any meaningful form (See the debate over the moon landing. The only people debating it are morons)

"I'll "think I have any rights" that I want to"
You HAVE the right to be as dumb, or as deluded as you want to be... Just don't expect me to give your opinions ANY weight at all.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
[quote=ClintonHammond]"the debate still exists"
Not in any meaningful form (See the debate over the moon landing. The only people debating it are morons)

"I'll "think I have any rights" that I want to"
You HAVE the right to be as dumb, or as deluded as you want to be... Just don't expect me to give your opinions ANY weight at all.[/QUOT I really don't care what weight you give any opinion. YOUR opinion carries no weight either. You also have the right to be dumb and deluded, and to display those traits on internet boards; something that you do constantly here Clint !
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #36
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Yes, the beautiful "Hyperion". Sounds like you've seen the film!
Yes , some time ago as I said. I think that it may have been a "Sunday Afternoon Movie" on television. They used to put on "adventure" movie on sunday afternoons on Sydney television some years ago, and many of them were the sort of film that might appeal to an "Indy" fan. "Mysterious Island" and "Captain Nemo and The Underwater City" were a couple of others I remember seing on a sunday afternoon. "Free to air" television doesn't seem to do it any more.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #37
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
Oh yes "Stoo" We need more airships in period adventures ! "Last Crusade" had one so I doubt that "Indy 4" will, but it was good to see the "home made" looking airship in "The Mummy Returns" !
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #38
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"something that you do constantly here"
Quote one....

I'm still waiting to hear ANY quality, peer-accepted debate on The Vinland Map....

I'm not holding my breath that you'll be able to provide any.

Instead, you'll just keep slinging your pathetic little attempts at ad hominem.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #39
nezobiwan
IndyFan
 
nezobiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto rahn
Really Clint you sem to be very agro at the moment. Why ? Why the gratuitous insult in your last line ? You are of the opinion that the "debate" over the Vinland map is "a load of hogwash". Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However the debate still exists, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Just because you have made up your mind doesn't mean that everybody else has. However you should feel free to rail against the world if it pleases you ! I'll "think I have any rights" that I want to. If you don't like it that's your problem.

Wow, so I'm not the only one who has issues with this guy. May I make a suggestion that I so recently followed myself?

Quote:
This message is hidden because ClintonHammond is on your ignore list.

Unless you like the confrontations--I'm only making a suggestion. Frankly, I'm getting bored and irritated with it. The ratio of useful writing and inflammatory/insulting writing that comes from CH is a bit out of balance for my tastes. Somewhere around 1:10. I'd rather waste my time having fun than getting irritated over one man's petty, meaningless comments.

It really is a shame; my first impression of the guy had me thinking he was pretty cool.
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #40
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"my first impression of the guy had me thinking he was pretty cool"
Shows what your first impressions are worth.

On the other hand, my first impression of you was BANG on the money, and I wear being on your ignore list, like a badge of honour.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
...I wear being on your ignore list, like a badge of honour.
Ha ha! Considering you just replied to him, I think it's time you turned in your badge, sheriff!

Have you ever seen "Island at the Top of the World"? The map and diary in it come from a
trader in the Hudson's Bay Company. I thought that was pretty cool (not to mention it's
a fun, adventure flick).
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #42
nezobiwan
IndyFan
 
nezobiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Ha ha! Considering you just replied to him, I think it's time you turned in your badge, sheriff!

Just a small clarification: I'm a chick.
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #43
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,937
My mistake! Pleased to meet you, nezobiwan.
My dad lives in Florida.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #44
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"Considering you just replied to him"

I never said she was on MY ignore list.....
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,937
My mistake! So, have you seen that Disney flick I was talking about?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #46
otto rahn
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezobiwan
Wow, so I'm not the only one who has issues with this guy. May I make a suggestion that I so recently followed myself?



Unless you like the confrontations--I'm only making a suggestion. Frankly, I'm getting bored and irritated with it. The ratio of useful writing and inflammatory/insulting writing that comes from CH is a bit out of balance for my tastes. Somewhere around 1:10. I'd rather waste my time having fun than getting irritated over one man's petty, meaningless comments.

It really is a shame; my first impression of the guy had me thinking he was pretty cool.
You know i've never HAD an "ignore list" on any message board i've ever been on. Tempting i'll admit but I probably won't do it
I can probably ignore Clint without needing to put him on a "list" (which way does he list, port or starboard ?). You never know I might want to have a laugh some time in the future ! Thanks for the suggestion however . I can understand your and others irritation and insofar as it may have been my fault I apologise. It is perhaps time we ceased flagellating this particular deceased equine and moved on to other topics !
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #47
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,244
"It is perhaps time we ceased flagellating this particular deceased equine and moved on to other topics"

Just another typical passive-aggressive wanker.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #48
Quickening
IndyFan
 
Quickening's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 240
I can verify that there was indeed a book called "Indiana Jones Explores the Vikings". It was basically a learning book for kids. I remember getting it from my local library when I was younger. Ah the memories.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Indi.../dp/023751222X
Quickening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #49
Aino
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Just moved home to Boston
Posts: 16
Thor's Hammer??? Behhhh NONONO!

I am an archaeologist married to a scandinavian. I spend a great deal of time in Scandinavia. I am quite well versed int he mythology. But even more so on the Finnish myths. Have you all ever heard of the Kalevala? I suggest that you get a translation of it. It is infact what Lord Of The Rings is based on.

In this Kalevala legend (Pieces of which atleast appear to date back as far as the last ice age) It is about this thing an object that was created to win the hand of a beautiful princess of the north. But ultimately, it had to be brought back to the err south i guess you could say. This object, was called the Sampo. The cool part about it is no one is sure what exactly it was or what it looked like or what it's purpose was though it is suspected that it was a mill. Included in this myth, is the story of how one of the most beautiful instruments ever known was created (the Kantele, the finnish national instrument) It is a bit like a dulcimer. It is from these myths that i took the name by which you all now know me.

When Finland took it's independence from Russia courtesy of good old Mannerheim, it was finnish sizu that was ultimately the force that freed a nation. But, it was the Kalevala that was the rallying cry to arms, it was the substance that brought a people together to demand and take by force the freedom that was theirs. I personally can't imagine anything more interesting than a story about the finding of the core point of the Kalevala, the Sampo. (today it is an insurance company. How sad and lame is that?) Now i am going to swim away and let you all continue discussing this you will understand why i say swim if you take the time to check out the Kalevala.
Aino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #50
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Karnage
The ring of the Nibelungs *is* Andvarranaut. The historicalness comes from some fabled treasure of the Burgandians which factors into the saga in a small way. Gram is Sigurds sword. It was given by Odin to Sigmundr (he was the only one who could pull it out of a tree stump) but it broke and Sigmundr died and eventually Regin reforged it for Sigmunds son, Sigurdr.

And yes, i do enjoy Tolkiens stories. I enjoy them even more when I compaire it to the source material that gave him inspiration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepinejones
Speaking of Tolkien I was Hitchhiking in Scotland and this guy picked me up in his tiny rickity car, his accent was strong and he spoke fast but he told me a fascinating story about how his grandfather used to rent a cabin to Tolkien in his Oxford days. Tolkien would go out there with his college buddies and write poems sip tea and smoke longleaf pipe weed. Then one day Tolkien demanded that no one was allowed to join him at the cabin and to not disturb him. When this mans Grandfather asked him why he said something to the fact that he was conversing with an ancient nature spirit who was telling him an important tale concerning the lost connection between man and nature. All I thought when he was telling me this was "Wow, that must have been some great Longbottom leaf from the shire."
A great Indy story could begin with consulting Tolkien in the early 1930s at Oxford before searching for the Andvaranaut. A 4-part comic, structured after Wagner's Ring Cycle.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.