TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #51
Trennas
IndyFan

I don't have this problem at all, mine looks crispy, fresh and lush, as it should. The only blurriness I can recall is the motion blur when you spin the camera around fast, but thats it really..

Not much of an expert on video graphics, but are you playing with a regular cable or an HDMI cable? HDMI made all the difference in the world for me!
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #52
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
Not much of an expert on video graphics, but are you playing with a regular cable or an HDMI cable? HDMI made all the difference in the world for me!

I'm playing with an HDMI cable... Also, other games don't seem to have this kind of problem...

Weird, ain't it?
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #53
Ska
IndyFan

Hmmm...I didn't have this problem, either, when I played the game.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #54
Trennas
IndyFan

Well, its definitely not supposed to do that, that's for sure. Uncharted is one of the best looking games on PS3 to date.

I doubt it's your HDMI cable because you say all the other games work fine. Your PS3 should be fine as well for the same reason. So most likely there is something wrong with the game or the image transfer from the game to the TV.

Few suggestions:

It could be that your PS3 and your TV have some sync (?) problems. We had problems getting it to work with the TV all together when we first got it, then we reset the PS3 and suddenly it worked. Now, yours is already working, but resetting it might help.

I don't remember whether Uncharted needs an install before you can play it, but if it does, it could be that it did not install entirely correctly on your PS3 hard drive. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game and see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, it could also be that your Uncharted copy is just busted. Don't know where you got it, but you could try it on a different PS3. If it has the same problem, the problem lies with the game, not the PS3.

Good luck! Hope one of the above things solves it!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #55
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, its definitely not supposed to do that, that's for sure. Uncharted is one of the best looking games on PS3 to date.

I doubt it's your HDMI cable because you say all the other games work fine. Your PS3 should be fine as well for the same reason. So most likely there is something wrong with the game or the image transfer from the game to the TV.

Few suggestions:

It could be that your PS3 and your TV have some sync (?) problems. We had problems getting it to work with the TV all together when we first got it, then we reset the PS3 and suddenly it worked. Now, yours is already working, but resetting it might help.

I don't remember whether Uncharted needs an install before you can play it, but if it does, it could be that it did not install entirely correctly on your PS3 hard drive. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game and see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, it could also be that your Uncharted copy is just busted. Don't know where you got it, but you could try it on a different PS3. If it has the same problem, the problem lies with the game, not the PS3.

Good luck! Hope one of the above things solves it!

Thanks for the tips, Trennas! I'll sure give 'em a try!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #56
Trennas
IndyFan

No problem, glad to help!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #57
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
Thanks for the tips, Trennas! I'll sure give 'em a try!

When a new level loads in Uncharted it takes a few seconds for the textures of the surrounding items and landscape to pop into place. Mine does this, and countless reviews have noted it also.
Just stay still a few seconds when a level loads and let the textures load.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #58
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
When a new level loads in Uncharted it takes a few seconds for the textures of the surrounding items and landscape to pop into place. Mine does this, and countless reviews have noted it also.
Just stay still a few seconds when a level loads and let the textures load.

I've noticed that, but I don't mind that. It isn't distracting...

I've tried to take pictures of the game (which was more difficult than I expected) and after taking -like- twenty of them, I finally have one that shows the issue clearly...

Mind you- Drake and the background are out of focus because of the motion blur but that's not the problem. Check out the aura around Drake...
See what I mean?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #59
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Does the aura stay around him when he is not in motion? Can you try to take another picture with him in focus? That would help me out better in trying to figure out your problem.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #60
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Does the aura stay around him when he is not in motion? Can you try to take another picture with him in focus? That would help me out better in trying to figure out your problem.

Nope, it's really only when he or the background around him is in motion. There's no problem at all when nothing is moving.

I'll try to make a clearer picture but our camera is kinda old and it's not a huge fan of taking pictures of cathode or LCD screens I've noticed

Also, I've written a mail to Naughty Dog earlier. I'm sure they've heard about the problem before... I don't think I'm the only one who's having it. I'm curious what they're gonna say about it... If they'll respond that is

Thanks for your help you guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #61
The Drifter
IndyFan

After searching around the web for you, I have found some tips that you can try.

-Turn down the Super White feature.
-Try to restore the PS3 to it's default settings. Reboot it, and go straight to the game and see if the problem is still there.
-try turning down the sharpness on your TV.

Hope these help.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #62
The Drifter
IndyFan

New Uncharted 2 information

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3175489

I love the "comic" cover they did on the front page. That should be the box art for it!

(I searched for a topic for Uncharted 2, but found none. Also, if the mods feel that this belongs in the Uncharted: Drake's Fortune thread, please move it. Thanks)
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #63
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

"If Adventure has a Name it Must be...Nathan Drake!"

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY 1UP.COM!

That poster looks great though.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #64
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
"If Adventure has a Name it Must be...Nathan Drake!"

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY 1UP.COM!

That poster looks great though.

LOL I noticed that bit also.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #65
The Drifter
IndyFan

I also was talking to some of my gamer friends online and they said it sounded like your refresh rate on your TV may be too low and causing it to "ghost". They said, if you keep Nathan Drake still and pan the camera around, does it still do that?
Also, I just shown them the picture you provided.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #66
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
I also was talking to some of my gamer friends online and they said it sounded like your refresh rate on your TV may be too low and causing it to "ghost". They said, if you keep Nathan Drake still and pan the camera around, does it still do that?
Also, I just shown them the picture you provided.

Yep, it also happens when Drake's standing still and the camera pans around...

The refresh rate you say... I have a Motion plus 120Hz screen so I'm not sure that's the problem... Could be though... I know that some games can be set on 50 or 60 Hz, but I don't think Uncharted offers the option to change between the two...

Anyway, as soon as I get home, I'm gonna try the tips you've given me earlier...

Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #67
Trennas
IndyFan

I hope you fix it! This game deserves to be played properly!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #68
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
I hope you fix it! This game deserves to be played properly!

Cheers, dude!

Here are a few more pictures of Drake and his aura...

The aura's less obvious here though. It was much clearer on the previous pic I posted.

I showed that previous pic at work to a few graphics programmers who own a PS3 and have played 'Uncharted' but they'd never seen something like that and they had no idea what to do about it...
So sadly, that hasn't helped me very much.

Still have to try out Drifter's tips though. Who knows... They just might help.

Still no response from Naughty Dog either. Of course, I can imagine they have their hands full finishing 'Uncharted 2' right now... So absolutely no hard feelings there.

In fact, I feel kinda bad that my problem has somewhat engulfed this thread.
Let's all keep in mind that this strange aura glitch is apparently very rare and that the game is absolutely brilliant! I can really recommend it to all PS3 owning Indy fans out here
Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #69
Trennas
IndyFan

It's a really odd problem, I can tell you that much

Maybe you can also post it on one of the PS3 Europe forums to see if someone over there knows anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #70
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Thumbs up

That is a pretty rad poster. If I wasn't already a fan, it would definitely get me to pause and give Drake a second look. Too bad movie posters aren't this cool anymore.

Here's a couple of other videos from the San Diego Comic Con last month.

Uncharted 2's Gold Rush

Updates From Comic Con's Uncharted Panel
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #71
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
It's a really odd problem, I can tell you that much

You got that right!

BUT, I finally solved the problem yesterday evening!

I messed around with EVERY setting on my TV yesterday, changing something and turning back to the game to see if it helped... Finally, after setting the '100Hz motion plus' function on 'bright' I noticed the problem had disappeared! (Later I discovered that it's best to put it on 'off' alltogether 'cos 'bright' causes severe cases of background tearing.)

So... the bogeyman in this story is the 100Hz Motion Plus function on my TV... Who'd have thought it...
I never thought it could cause a problem because Samsung makes it look like a new revolutionary function (which "reduces motion blur") on its box. Stores even have a screen with a 'with and without motion plus' comparison. They make it look like it's the discovery of the century

Apparently, I'm not the only one with motion plus problems... Here's a bit I found online:

Quote:
One of the main disadvantages with 100Hz technologies is what's known variously as "haloing" or the "three ball effect" -- which is in reference to its effects on sport. These terms effectively describe the artefacts that appear around images that are static in a moving scene. We've described it before as "Tom Cruise's 'nasal noise'".

More about it here:
http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-respo...-339287355.htm

Et voilà, another thing we've learned
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #72
Trennas
IndyFan

Pfew! Glad you solved it! Now you can play the game like it's meant to be!

Bit weird about your TV though; it seems that the more advanced we make out technology, the more conflicts arise between devices
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #73
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Pfew! Glad you solved it! Now you can play the game like it's meant to be!

Thanks man!

Quote:
Bit weird about your TV though; it seems that the more advanced we make out technology, the more conflicts arise between devices

You got that right... It's not the first time I notice that...
Oh well, as long as we solve these conflicts, everything's A-OK!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #74
Trennas
IndyFan

Yeah, but it just always seems to be such a bummer when you run into a problem and you can't find what's wrong at first
Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #75
The Drifter
IndyFan

Comparison pics of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted: Among Thieves.
Please note to scroll all the way to the right, for there are three pictures side-by-side.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=920