TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Hot Sauce

I am bored, and figured I would make a topic.
Do you use hot sauce? If so, what brand do you use, and what on?

I use Texas Pete mostly, and I put it on everything. I just put it on some pizza.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
adventure_al
IndyFan

ah... another american thing. We don't get 'hot sauce' as such here. I love anything spicy though and use spicy chilli sauce on stuff quite a bit. Its good to put through a stir fry as well, gives it a kick.
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Agent Z
IndyFan

Texas Pete is fine. I also like Tabasco.

My favorite though is Frank's Red Hot sauce. I put that on damn near everything: spaghetti, burgers, mexican (people, yes), eggs, pizza and on and on.....
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
metalinvader
IndyFan

Hot sauce goes great on anything.Lately,I've been eating my cheez-its with hot sauce poured all over them.

Good stuff!
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

No hot sauce for me. I have a real sensitive stomach, so anything spicy just kills me. Always wanted to try the stuff, but I know later on I'd be in agony.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
fixer79
IndyFan

My current favourites are sweetened chili sauce, Tabasco, Sambal Oelek, Harissa and HP Spicy Woodsmoke flavoured Hot BBQ sauce.

Yummy...
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
BuiltFordTough
IndyFan

im a fan of louisiana hot sauce, especially in chili
BuiltFordTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Agent Crab
IndyFan

I got some hotsauce called "Caribbean Jerk". Pretty damn hot. I got it at a place called "Buffalo Wings". However, I like any kind of hotsauce. Put it on some ribs or chicken for me. I am game.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Nothing extremely hot. I do like the odd medium salsa for corn chips and have contests with friends as to how long we can last eating corn ships with medium hot salsa without having a drink.... I usually win. Marion Ravenwood may be able to drink anyone under the table, but I can out-sauce anyone. Though my stomach doesn't like it very much the next day...

Anyway, my favourite is Sweet Thai Chilli. Sweet and just a bit peppery without the stomach issue. I was quite disappointed when I went to the States a couple of years back, that it wasn't a widely avaliable thing. You can get it with your chicken nuggets at McDonald's down here, so I thought it would have been the same. Of course, the chick at the counter looked at me like I was crazy and realising that they didn't have any and it was an Australian thing, I said to her, 'You don't know what you're missing.'

So if you ever see it around, try it with chicken. It works really well.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
Dynamite XI
IndyFan

The local Mexican food joint makes its own tasty salsa, and it's quite blistering. I can't get enough of the stuff.

And an occasional guilty pleasure of mine is the Taco Bell "Fire" sauce, although it's not the spiciest sauce I've ever tasted...
Dynamite XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
|ZiR|
IndyFan

I like putting a few dashes of tabasco sauce on vanilla ice cream.

It sounds gross because it is.

But it's also strangely good. Sweet and spicy, hot and cold -- all at the same time.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
eroc
IndyFan

Tabasco...nothing compares, and it goes on everything.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
Agent Crab
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
I like putting a few dashes of tabasco sauce on vanilla ice cream.

It sounds gross because it is.

But it's also strangely good. Sweet and spicy, hot and cold -- all at the same time.

Part of me wants to try that. This is comin' from someone who puts salt on their ice cream.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

I love Tabasco sauce of Sbarro's pizza. Anybody have that?
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I have a group for fans of every type of hot sauce on Facebook. If anyone wishes to join just PM me here and I will send the link.

In other news-
My collection has grown to over 20 different brands and types. What type have you used last? For me it was Crystal.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Stoo
IndyFan

In Colorado this past summer, I bought a bottle of "Rubin's XXX Horsetooth Hot Sauce" with cayenne and habanero.

The label reads:
Not for the faint of heart, Rubin's XXX is a spicier, steamier, sizzlier version of Rubin's Red, our irresistible black pepper and garlic cayenne sauce. Rubin gets all fired up in this NC-17 version, tossing intense red habaneros into the mix for a tongue blasting heat that should come with a parental warning. Rubin's XXX - because one X just wasn't enough.

Haven't opened the bottle yet. I'm afraid to taste it!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
In Colorado this past summer, I bought a bottle of "Rubin's XXX Horsetooth Hot Sauce" with cayenne and habanero.

The label reads:
Not for the faint of heart, Rubin's XXX is a spicier, steamier, sizzlier version of Rubin's Red, our irresistible black pepper and garlic cayenne sauce. Rubin gets all fired up in this NC-17 version, tossing intense red habaneros into the mix for a tongue blasting heat that should come with a parental warning. Rubin's XXX - because one X just wasn't enough.

Haven't opened the bottle yet. I'm afraid to taste it!

That honestly made my taste buds water, Stoo!
I've never heard of that brand, but I am going to Google them here in a few. You should open the bottle, and take a small sniff (not a big one! May singe something ) and try a little taste. If you do please let me know how it was.

EDIT: I found their website, and may order me a few bottles. Thanks for letting me know about them.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
Attila the Professor

Apart from the old Tabasco standby, this has been my favored sauce lately:

Great flavor, and pretty substantial heat.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Kt Templar
IndyFan

Regular Tabasco doesn't do it for me anymore, I do like their habenero version that has a nice kick.

I tried some '100% Pain' hot sauce by dipping a tortilla chip in it. You know you are in trouble when you get that second of numbness before the heat hits. Took about 15 mins to subside.
Kt Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
The Drifter
IndyFan

Anyone try what I call Rooster Sauce? The real name is Sriracha sauce and it's made by Huy Fong Foods. It has great heat, and a garlic aftertaste. They also make a grand garlic chili sauce.

Just off the top of my head, I have the following and use them on a regular basis.

Texas Pete (also garlic), Crystal, Franks Red Hot (and thick version), Yucatan Sunshine, Tabasco (also chipotle), Dave's Insanity, Cholula, Sriracha (with garlic chili also), and about ten more than I have in my pantry.

EDIT: Never heard of that kinda before, Attila. I might have to look it up also. Man, my wife is going to kick my ass if I get even more bottles of hot sauce!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Not a big fan of Tabasco. I much prefer Texas Pete.

A household staple is Pizza Friday. Cheap pizzas from Little Caesar, but with Texas Pete, garlic salt, and a generous sprinkle of parmesan.

Personally, as a guy, I've never felt it necessary to drink acid to prove my manliness. I like spicy, but not insane spicy. What's the point?
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
Personally, as a guy, I've never felt it necessary to drink acid to prove my manliness. I like spicy, but not insane spicy. What's the point?

Beyond flavor?

Endorphins.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:

I'm the same way. I like spicy with taste to it. Now, I do like some habanero sauces, but anything beyond that I don't fool with. They tend to use just the capsaicin extract, and that is just not tastsy at all.
And, I like Texas Pete a lot also. I grew up with it always around.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Have you ever seen the episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry goes to the Mexican restaurant? If not check out this scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I'm the same way. I like spicy with taste to it. Now, I do like some habanero sauces, but anything beyond that I don't fool with. They tend to use just the capsaicin extract, and that is just not tastsy at all.
And, I like Texas Pete a lot also. I grew up with it always around.
I'm with you & Goodenight but my girlfriend likes it super hot. She's a hot sauce freak.

Any of you guys ever try wasabi? Even the tiniest morsel is DEADLY.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I'm with you & Goodenight but my girlfriend likes it super hot. She's a hot sauce freak.

Any of you guys ever try wasabi? Even the tiniest morsel is DEADLY.

Your girlfriend is the exact opposite of my wife. My wife can't even use crushed red pepper flakes!
And, yes. I have tried wasabi. I have a few bottles of this kind.
I'm a fan of horseradish, and when I first used this, I put a huge glop on my sandwich and spread it around, took a bite, and WOW!
I lost my breath for a few seconds and my nostrils stung like they were on fire!

EDIT: Also, hold the presses! Attila, is that hot sauce you posted made from the ghost chili!? Wow! How does it taste? Does it have any taste through all the heat?

Last edited by The Drifter : 12-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.