Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #51
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
Updates...

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-05-10
Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)
NEW! Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-06-10
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-07-10
Canada (throwmetheidol)
West Coast USA: Burbank (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
??? Japan (indy34)
??? Bangalore (inky_skin)
??? Gdansk (inky_skin)

And let me just remind my fellow American types here that we're just about the only people who list the month first when we state our dates...which is to say, Rocket Surgeon will be getting it by July 1st, not January 7th.

Also, just to say that this is a really cool thing you've got going here...cheers to you for putting it together.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 05-08-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #52
Meerkat
IndyFan

This sounds awesome!
I'm in the U.S. right now, and I'm going to China this summer, so any chance of it going there?
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #53
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Now this is awesome. I won't participate however, as my area has been covered I think. But this is really and awesome idea all around, nice work
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #54
NickTurner
IndyFan

I'm excited! (I'm just a big kid anyway.)

I'm thinking Chinatown would be perfect for Indy. (Cable car rides anyone?) And then there's always the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz would be cool too, and appropriate to Indy (historically).

Le Saboteur, you are listed as West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans. Let us coordinate () so we don't duplicate!

I'm trying to keep things appropriate to Indy. I work in Oakland right now, so the Paramount theatre would be a breeze.

In terms of the actual photography, I'm going to try for the smallest aperture like when I take model pictures so I can try and get (small) Indy and (large) background in focus at the same time This should give a nice "I'm really there" vibe, but will be a little trickier to set up on location. I will need to take my tripod to mount the camera on, to keep it steady during the longer exposure needed with a small aperture, and I may need to take something to put Indy on to keep him steady in the foreground. Anyone else thought about the photography end of things?
NickTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #55
Billy Ray
IndyFan

I'll try to get pics in several different locations. Unfortunately (fortunately for me, unforatunately for Indy), I can't leave the base, so I am limited in landmarks. We do have a weekly bizarre that is the type of setting that I can imagine Indy getting into some sort of scrape, that might be a good location for some photos. There is a mosque on base, but I am not sure we are allowed to photograph it. I'll seewhat I can come up with though.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 AM   #56
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
And let me just remind my fellow American types here that we're just about the only people who list the month first when we state our dates...
Thanks for the clarification Attila !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat
This sounds awesome!
I'm in the U.S. right now, and I'm going to China this summer, so any chance of it going there?
What's your schedule ?

@Lao Che - don't count yourself out. Where are you located ?
@Billy Ray - I've never had problems taking photos inside mosques in Muslim countries - but your experience may differ. I'm sure you'll respect the local cultural and religious sensitivities just as Indy would.
@Nick Turner - I was thinking about using a "Tilt Shift" post-production filter to make the locations look like toy-scale models. Unfortunately my camera isn't advanced enough to mess with the aperture.

Last edited by inky_skin : 05-09-2010 at 03:22 AM.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #57
inky_skin
IndyFan

Does anyone know if Harrison, Steve Sansweet (Rancho Obi-Wan) or staff at Skywalker Ranch will sign and return items ? What about Bonnie Burton ?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #58
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Quote:
@Billy Ray - I've never had problems taking photos inside mosques in Muslim countries - but your experience may differ. I'm sure you'll respect the local cultural and religious sensitivities just as Indy would.

When I was in Qatar, during my last deployment, it was illegal to take pictures of the mosques there. I really doubt if they care too much here though...they've got much bigger problems to worry abou here.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #59
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
...they've got much bigger problems to worry abou here.

Indeed - keep your head down buddy...

@Stoo - any sign of Indy yet ?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #60
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

For the last time, I don't live in the Valley!!!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #61
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
For the last time, I don't live in the Valley!!!

My humble apologies Lance - this is what happens when you cut and paste !

Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-06-10
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-07-10
Canada (throwmetheidol)
West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
??? Japan (indy34)
??? Bangalore (inky_skin)
??? Gdansk (inky_skin)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #62
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurner
In terms of the actual photography, I'm going to try for the smallest aperture like when I take model pictures so I can try and get (small) Indy and (large) background in focus at the same time This should give a nice "I'm really there" vibe, but will be a little trickier to set up on location. I will need to take my tripod to mount the camera on, to keep it steady during the longer exposure needed with a small aperture, and I may need to take something to put Indy on to keep him steady in the foreground. Anyone else thought about the photography end of things?
Sounds good, Nick, just as long as it doesn't end up looking like a Photoshop composite, go for it! As for me, I don't think I'll have any time for elaborate setups but definitely want to frame the figure in a way to make it looks like he's actually part of the scene.
Quote:
@Stoo - any sign of Indy yet ?
No sign yet even though I really thought he'd be here by today. Hopefully tomorrow...

Anyway, an unforseeable situation has arisen which has postponed the trip to Malta. A member of my girlfriend's family has fallen gravely ill with a rapidly deteriorating condition and only has a few days left so we're heading back to Canada this week in an effort to pay our last respects before it's too late (don't think we're going to make it in time). We will return to Switz for only a few days before heading to Malta at the end of the month.

This means:
-Inky wasted his money on the Special Delivery fees and the figure could have possibly gone to Turkey. SORRY!
-If the figure definitely has to be delivered to Billy Ray in Afghanistan by the 01 June, I can't take him to Malta. (Returning from Malta to Switz on 31 May).
-If I do take Indy to Malta, I will have the figure for 3 weeks.
-I could take the figure with me and try and get some photos of him in Montreal, Quebec and Kingston, Ontario which both have plenty of historical landmarks. Don't know if I'll have the chance in Kingston (or even if I'll be in the mood) but we'll see.

That's the status. Hope this doesn't screw things up. Billy Ray, is 01 June an absolute deadline? I think I can get it to you within 4-5days. It could end up being:

Switzerland / Kingston / Montreal / Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)

Last edited by Stoo : 05-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #63
inky_skin
IndyFan

@Stoo - don't give a second thought to the schedule - what's important is taking care of family business. I'll let you work things out with others on the list. The only immutable deadline (I think) is Rocket Surgeon / Princeton. The dates around Billy Ray were to give enough time for Indy to reach Rocket on East Coast USA.

Take care bud.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #64
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Perhaps we could convince, AlivePoet or Peru1936 (who are Canadian ex-pats living in Korea) to take up the task for the final leg after Australia?

Sign me up, I'm good for it!
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #65
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Whoops, double post

Last edited by Billy Ray : 05-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #66
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Quote:
@Stoo - don't give a second thought to the schedule - what's important is taking care of family business. I'll let you work things out with others on the list. The only immutable deadline (I think) is Rocket Surgeon / Princeton. The dates around Billy Ray were to give enough time for Indy to reach Rocket on East Coast USA.

Take care bud.

Stoo, sorry to hear about your girlfriend's family member.

Yeah, I am here until the end of July at the earliest,so anytime in June is good for me but I will need about 2 weeks to get him to Rocket in time. Mail is kind of iffy from here, so he could get there earlier than that, I say two weeks just to be safe. They always give the standard "10 duty days" at the P.O., which is meaningless really because everyday is a "duty day" here, so I don't know whose "duty days" they are talking about.

You know, I didn't think about this before, but I will be going to Kirgizstan from here for a couple of days before I go home, but theres not really much there in the way of photo ops. In fact, in many ways, it sucks worse there than here. No offense to anyone from Kirgizstan, I'm sure the country is lovely, but the base there sucks. Not sure what route I am taking home, but on the way here I also passed through Germany and Turkey, but didn't really get to leave the terminal.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #67
Stoo
IndyFan

I Think the Eagle Has Landed

Quote:
Take care bud.
Thanks a lot. It's going to be rough.

The good news is that I think Indy has arrived in the Confédération Helvétique (Switzerland)! There was notice in my mailbox for a letter to be picked up at the post office. It will be available tomorrow. Talk about cutting it close, we're leaving the day after (Thursday) and would've been leaving for Malta tomorrow! This post office is a 1 minute walk away. Is Indy in an padded envelope or a box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
Sign me up, I'm good for it!
Great to hear, homey! That didn't take much convincing. Ha ha.

@Billy Ray. Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I can mail him to you as soon as I get back from Malta and, hopefully, it will get there within the 1st week of June. (If I pull a "Lance" and lose him, I'll have to whip myself!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Whoops, double post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #68
inky_skin
IndyFan

@Stoo - Indy's in a padded envelope - fingers-crossed he made it !
@AlivePoet - Consider yourself on the itinerary post-Australia...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #69
Meerkat
IndyFan

Quote:
What's your schedule ?

Sorry for not having replied to this earlier....I'm actually not going to China for another five weeks or so. I'll be here in Oregon for quite a while....
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #70
inky_skin
IndyFan

@Stoo - has Indy arrived ? Any chance of photographic evidence ?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #71
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
TUTANKHAMUN AND THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE PHARAOHS
NEW YORK CITY: DISCOVERY TIMES SQUARE EXPOSITION
APRIL 23, 2010 - JANUARY 2, 2011

You can listen to some of the Harrison Ford Audio from the Tour on Indy Cast 89

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indyc..._89_128089.asp

I have tickets to this as well!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #72
DoomTown
IndyFan

Location: The Atomic Cafe,on a highway somewhere in Nevada...
Think Indy would mind seeing Austria as well???
DoomTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #73
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
All, Indy left the UK early this morning on the first leg of his global adventure. Due to his hurried departure (to meet a connecting flight from Switzerland to Malta) he failed to take any photos before he left. However, his host did sign his travel documents as a memento of his stay (included in package). Indy's itenerary is as follows:

Indy in La Suisse! ARRIVED 11-05-10

Indy arrived in beautiful Neuchâtel yesterday but was held up at customs and finally managed to get out & about town today. Senility must be setting in on the ageing professor as he almost lost his luggage twice! Unfortunately, a downpour of rainy weather cut his promenade short. He leaves for Canada tomorrow morning. Bon voyage, Dr. Jones!

"It's almost 6 o'clock and Swiss clocks are never wrong. Where is everybody?"

More to follow...
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #74
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

WHOOO! First picture! Looks amazing! How exciting!

Great job, Stoo. Very cool!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #75
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
"It's almost 6 o'clock and Swiss clocks are never wrong. Where is everybody?"

Well done! Do we have an updated itinerary?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote