TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #101
Stoo
IndyFan

Thanks, Rocket, my man. This can be both fun and educational. Forgot to mention that Indy's trans-Atlantic swan ride took him to Montreal first. The swan was too tired to continue so he had to make his own way to Kingston. Now that he's back in Montreal, Indy went for a smoked meat sandwich last night! Mmm...yummy.

I also made two little, mini props for the figure.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #102
adventure_al
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Liking the history lesson accompanying the pics...

HISTORY!? that is positively brand new compared to the sights he will see in Scotland!
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #103
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure_al
HISTORY!? that is positively brand new compared to the sights he will see in Scotland!

You'll be taking photos then or will you be painting Indy's picture?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #104
adventure_al
IndyFan

Quote:
You'll be taking photos then or will you be painting Indy's picture?

well it depends if i can get the flash to ignite
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #105
bonoferox
IndyFan

Is it too late to add Indianapolis to the list?
bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #106
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Great photos, Stoo!

Looks like Indy (and you) are having fun.

When Inky started this thread it reminded me of the guy who stole a gnome from a front garden and took it round the world, taking photos of him in foreign locations and posting them back to the owner.

The gnome was finally returned unharmed to his rightful owner.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #107
Stoo
IndyFan

Post Indy in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

"Here I am on Saint Laurent St. to take care of important business first: Hunger! Time to grab a delicious smoked meat sandwich at the famous, Schwartz's. I wonder if there's any relation to my boyhood piano teacher? Doesn't look very busy tonight. Usually there's a lineup outside the door." (Schwartz's Hebrew Delicatessen was established in 1928.)

Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #108
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
...When Inky started this thread it reminded me of the guy who stole a gnome from a front garden and took it round the world, taking photos of him in foreign locations and posting them back to the owner.

The gnome was finally returned unharmed to his rightful owner.

Wasn't that a plot element in the film Amélie?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #109
InexorableTash
IndyFan

A request for the San Francisco folks - please try and recreate this shot:

That's a production painting from Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Speaking of SoK, we also need to get him in the back alleys of Chinatown and on the Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason cable car:

I'm in SF myself, and would volunteer but it looks like we have it covered. That doesn't mean we can't get together to take the ceremonial picture by the Warming Hut at Crissy Field, though!
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #110
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Stoo,

LOVING the images! Great, great work!!!

Looks like Indy is having a blast!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #111
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse

I don't know, as I've never seen it. I read the gnome story in a newspaper, so the globetrotting thief probably stole the idea as well!

The prank even has it's own Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_gnome_prank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
"Here I am on Saint Laurent St. to take care of important business first: Hunger! Time to grab a delicious smoked meat sandwich at the famous, Schwartz's. I wonder if there's any relation to my boyhood piano teacher? Doesn't look very busy tonight. Usually there's a lineup outside the door."

Great new photo, Stoo. Indy looking out of place and looking over his shoulder - he's having KOTCS flashbacks!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #112
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse

That's an old urban legend, but it was used in Amelie.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 AM   #113
inky_skin
IndyFan

Ok, updated schedule...

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
Canada: Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10
Malta (Stoo)
Switzerland (Stoo)
Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Stoo - please ensure Indy arrives with Billy Ray in time for him to reach Rocket before the second week of July
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
NEW ! Orlando (theinterchange)
NEW ! Indianapolis (bonoferox)

West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
NEW ! West Coast USA: San Francisco (InexorableTash)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
Australia: Geelong (Ed Dolista)
Korea (AlivePoet)
Austria (DoomTown)
NEW ! Scotland (adventure al)
UK (inky_skin)
Canada (throwmetheidol)

Great to see this thing taking on a life of its own - keep up the good work people ! However, I think I'm going to close the list to new entries on May 31 2010, with a view to getting Indy to The Ravenwood Museum by the end of this year. I'm thinking we could do this again next year - but this time with a true custom (if you've seen my vintage "Washington DC" Indy, you'll have already had a preview).

Last edited by inky_skin : 05-21-2010 at 04:20 AM.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #114
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
A request for the San Francisco folks - please try and recreate this shot:

That's a production painting from Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Speaking of SoK, we also need to get him in the back alleys of Chinatown and on the Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason cable car:
Glad to see you're participating, Tash, my good buddy! Funny that you posted the bridge image since yesterday I took a similar photo of one of the bridges in town here. The Powell-Mason cable car is the one I rode while visiting San Francisco 2 years ago. Definitely a good photo opp. Another good location would be the WW2 submarine docked at one of the wharves. On the same wharf is that cool arcade game museum which has the Indy pinball! Someone could take a pic of him playing the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I don't know, as I've never seen it. I read the gnome story in a newspaper, so the globetrotting thief probably stole the idea as well!
Yeah, I brought up the gnome, too, back on Page 1. The movie came out around 2002/03 whereas the gnome thing goes back to the very early '80s. Around 1979/80(?), a couple of guys took a red couch/sofa/chesterfield around the world and published a book of the photographs. Could that have been the inspiriation for the gnome thief? I'm pretty sure the red couch predates the gnome story.

Anyway thanks from the kind words, Matt. Nice to see you posting again....and yes, I'm having fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
LOVING the images! Great, great work!!!

Looks like Indy is having a blast!
Yes, Indy is having a blast but he's also very frustrated. Wind has become his worst enemy and he keeps falling down! To all future participants, if you're going to place him somewhere outdoors, I highly suggest bringing one of those little, plastic stands (if you have one) or some putty to put his feet in if the surface is not flat. For people like Nick Turner who will be doing proper set-ups with a tripod, fixing Indy to a 2nd tripod could be another solution.

@Inky: A concern I have is wearing out the joints of the figure. (I remember some of my Kenner "Star Wars" figures would get worn out and would hardly be able to stand anymore.) Is there a danger of this happening to Indy because he already feels not as tight as when I first received him last week. It's getting more difficult for him to hold things in his hand. Is there a way to rectify this?

I took loads of pics over the past few days. Here's a couple of stories I want to share:

-I was trying to get a shot at the Old Port of Indy holding a coin. It was windy and he kept falling over. The figure was is no danger of falling down into the river but everytime he fell the coin would bounce off and over the ledge. I can't even count how many times this happened. The photos were coming out blurry so I kept going until a ran out of spare change!

-People have been watching as I've been taking the photos and the ones who are interested enough to inquire about what I'm doing have all been cute babes. One was a super-hot, French chick cop and when she found out it was Indiana Jones, she squealed with delight. Now, I'm not suggesting this is an ideal way to meet women but it seems to work.

-Just when I was taking a photo, a suped-up '57 Chevy drove by!

More photos coming soon...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #115
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
-People have been watching as I've been taking the photos and the ones who are interested enough to inquire about what I'm doing have all been cute babes. One was a super-hot, French chick cop and when she found out it was Indiana Jones, she squealed with delight.

Hope you got her to pose for you! That would be a nice addition to the festivities as well...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #116
indy34
IndyFan

Quote:

I was trying to get a shot at the Old Port of Indy holding a coin. It was windy and he kept falling over. The figure was is no danger of falling down into the river but everytime he fell the coin would bounce off and over the ledge. I can't even count how many times this happened. The photos were coming out blurry so I kept going until a ran out of spare change!

Try blue tack that usually works
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #117
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Hope you got her to pose for you! That would be a nice addition to the festivities as well...
Unfortunately, I didn't think of it at the time but she did inspire me to do a police photo later. Her partner was only midly amused but she thought it was cute. So was she and would have made for a great photo. There are quite a few shots and wanted to get but didn't get the chance/missed the opportunity. Leaving tomorrow.

Your carnival comment came to mind as I passed by the Cirque du Soleil tent and don't know why I didn't bother taking a pic. The famous Cirque du Soleil started in Montreal in 1984. Here's what the new tent looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy34
Try blue tack that usually works
Thanks. That's the putty I was thinking of and will give it a try.

"Why is this police car following me?"

"Here for one day and I'm already in trouble. Will have to sweet talk my way out of this...I'm not armed and they're in riot gear."

"I love baseball but the Montreal Expos don't exist anymore ever since they became the Washington Nationals in 2004. While I'm town, I might as well catch a hockey game. This is Game 3 of the semi-finals for the Stanley Cup! Montreal Canadiens VS. Philadelphia Flyers. Now I've just got to get a ticket."

Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #118
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
There are quite a few shots and wanted to get but didn't get the chance/missed the opportunity. Leaving tomorrow.
Besides the Batman inspired coffee-cup peril, hope you catch Indy in the middle of SOME type of stunt/cliffhanger!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #119
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
@Stoo - awesome job so far ! Don't worry about the "fuzzyness" of your pics - you are working out the issues for the rest of us
Well, it doesn't look like my techniques are making an improvement so Indy will probably remain fuzzy for the remainder of my pics.

Update:
Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10

This back & forth trip may be tricky to show on your map.
Quote:
Besides the Batman inspired coffee-cup peril, hope you catch Indy in the middle of SOME type of stunt/cliffhanger!
Although my take on this was leaning toward the acedemic, what you propose is a good idea. Thus far, I've been trying to show off the backgrounds rather than the figure but recreating a stunt/cliffhanger would be a fine creative challenge. I might have one or two that fit the bill...barely. (The other night I botched the opportunity for a photo with 2 city raccoons on my fire-escape!)

More Indy in Montreal:

"Here I am at McGill University, established in 1821, with Mount Royal in the background. I'm due for a lecture in the...William Shatner building? Who the heck is Bill Shatner?"

"Jeanne-Mance Park. The illuminated cross on Mount Royal replaces the one de Maisonneuve put there in 1643. I've read that if you go in a straight line from the monument behind me up to the cross on the hill, you will come across the entrance to a cave. It's virtually unknown but I'll have to wait for daylight to investigate."

Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #120
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Oh gosh, I miss Montreal...

I'd better be careful what I wish for though...I may well be forced to go back if tensions escalate to the point of war here.
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #121
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
Oh gosh, I miss Montreal...

I'd better be careful what I wish for though...I may well be forced to go back if tensions escalate to the point of war here.
I miss it, too. There's a photo coming up soon which I think you will like (think: Leonard Cohen) When/if you come back, you won't recognize the intersection of Ste. Catherine / Jeanne-Mance!

Here's more:

"I found the cave on Mont Royal. An inscription inside spoke about an old church. There are dozens of them on & off the island but I've narrowed it down to 3. This is Notre-Dame Basilica in Old Montreal, built in the 1820's on the grounds of the former church. The original dated back to 1672."

"Saint James United Church on Ste. Catherine St. This was built in 1889 but in the 1920s, the front facade was completely covered by commercial buildings which were recently removed. No one has seen these stained-glass windows for almost 100 years."

3rd church coming soon...
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #122
Stoo
IndyFan

Hope I'm not posting too many photos...

Here are the city raccoons on my rooftop who had an encounter with Dr. Jones. No photographic evidence but Indy fought them off with his only weapon, his umbrella!

"I'm still on the hunt for the church the clue pointed to so here I am at the Old Port."

"Behind me is the geodesic dome designed by the famous, Buckminster Fuller, for the American pavilion in the 1967 World Exposition. Even though it suffered a fire in '76, it's one of the only pavilions left standing." (This is where Indy kept falling over and losing his money!)

This one's for Rocket. The amusement park, La Ronde, in the background under the Jacques Cartier bridge. Indy's had enough off rollercoasters...

"Wait! I think I can see the church I'm looking for!" (Molson Brewery is the brown building on the extreme left.)

Indy is off to Malta on Friday!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #123
inky_skin
IndyFan

@Stoo - I've been absent from the site for a while due to work and family commitments, but just wanted to chime in and say I'm enjoying your stellar work (especially your custom Indy props - don't think I hadn't noticed) and looking forward to Malta !
Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #124
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Stoo!

GREAT new pics. Malta sounds like a real adventure! Hope you two have a blast!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #125
inky_skin
IndyFan

1 - UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
2 - Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
3 - Canada: Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
3 cont. - Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
4 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10 / DEPARTED 28-May-10
5 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED...
6 - Switzerland (Stoo)
7 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Stoo - please ensure Indy arrives with Billy Ray in time for him to reach Rocket before the second week of July
8 - East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
9 - Orlando (theinterchange)
10 - Indianapolis (bonoferox)
11 - West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
12 - West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
13 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
14 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (InexorableTash)
15 - West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
16 - Australia: Queensland (hemble)
17 - Australia: Canberra (indy34)
18 - Australia: Geelong (Ed Dolista)
19 - Korea (AlivePoet)
20 - Austria (DoomTown)
21 - Scotland (adventure al)
22 - UK (inky_skin)
23 - Canada (throwmetheidol)

Quote:
A concern I have is wearing out the joints of the figure. (I remember some of my Kenner "Star Wars" figures would get worn out and would hardly be able to stand anymore.) Is there a danger of this happening to Indy because he already feels not as tight as when I first received him last week. It's getting more difficult for him to hold things in his hand. Is there a way to rectify this?
You could try boiling and reshaping his hands (and allow them to cool in the revised position). Frankly I'd be tempted to glue to case into his palm

Quote:
People have been watching as I've been taking the photos and the ones who are interested enough to inquire about what I'm doing have all been cute babes. One was a super-hot, French chick cop and when she found out it was Indiana Jones, she squealed with delight. Now, I'm not suggesting this is an ideal way to meet women but it seems to work.
Indiana Jones: Helping people get laid since 1936