TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Two things, yes awesome news. Obviously Ford will film this in 2018, which I think is right on the cusp of what he can pull off age-wise. I see people talking about filming a 6th film back to back. Has that been mentioned publicly at all?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #27
lazadugi
IndyFan

Incredible!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #28
InVader
IndyFan

I think the best part of Indy 4 was all of the traffic here on the forum. Hopefully, like last time, lots of fun stuff to come.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #29
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
anyway, on the off-chance anyone official is looking here for our reactions, didn't somebody put together a compendium of links to our best musings on what a fifth film could offer?

We dig snow, Alfred Hitchcock, and noir. Also something called the Dial of Ahaz, along with this picture:

Oh, and maybe go farther away than Hawaii for principal filming? You done good by the Western Hemisphere last time around. Easy way to avoid delving too deep on that family drama, too.

to all of this.

Still not sure what an ideal MacGuffin would be. Used to Atlantis, but maybe that ship has sunk(no pun intended) and best left to Pirates?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #30
EvilEmperorZoRG
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVader
I think the best part of Indy 4 was all of the traffic here on the forum. Hopefully, like last time, lots of fun stuff to come.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #31
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Anyway, on the off-chance anyone official is looking here for our reactions, didn't somebody put together a compendium of links to our best musings on what a fifth film could offer?

We dig snow, Alfred Hitchcock, and noir. Also something called the Dial of Ahaz,...

The (cough, cough) Tree of Life shouldn't be dismissed. Afterall, it's in the previously created Indy V forum.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #32
FordFan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
to all of this.

Still not sure what an ideal MacGuffin would be. Used to Atlantis, but maybe that ship has sunk(no pun intended) and best left to Pirates?

I don't think the MacGuffin matters. The second movie featured magic rocks after all. As long as the movie establishes an emotional connection between us and the characters and creates peril... which the last one forgot to do completely... they're good.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #33
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan
I don't think the MacGuffin matters. The second movie featured magic rocks after all. As long as the movie establishes an emotional connection between us and the characters and creates peril... which the last one forgot to do completely... they're good.

It's all about execution, sure, but to say the MacGuffin doesn't matter I think it wrong.

You dismiss the Shakara Stones as "magic rocks"... if they were part of the Judeo-Christian realm, I doubt as many people would dismiss them...heck a lot of people bash Indy 4 and say it terrible by reducing it to something like "Aliens...really?"

Surely a MacGuffin impacts a great deal on the story.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #34
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...a-jones-875794

I am so excited. So unbelievably excited. Finally. Indy 5. After so long of waiting...finally.

Edit: The official press release:

Further confirmation from the Disney website.

Well, I'll be damned...

I was betting against a Spielberg helmed film starring Ford, big time.
This was quite a shock upon reading...

In any case, it seems it would be fair to say this place may be getting very active again in the coming months/years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Well well well, sometimes I am wrong.

Take note boys and girls, it doesn't happen often. But when it does, I'm quick to make it right.

It's gonna be a long 3 years.

So, Am I getting your leftovers, or do I have to order my own plate?
Boy, were we wrong.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #35
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Surely a MacGuffin impacts a great deal on the story.

Depends. Did we ever really find out what was in the case in Pulp Fiction or Ronin?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #36
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Well well well, sometimes I am wrong.

I'll have that dish once we know to what extent Mr. Ford will feature. Full course, bookends, flash forwards, two stories running parallel in the past and the present?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #37
Indyfan82
IndyFan

YAY!
Haven't posted in quite a while, but I do check in here every now and then. And this news was definitely worth posting about. Great to finally have official confirmation from Disney that Indiana Jones 5 is being made and that Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall are all involved.
I will definitely be excited to see a new Indiana Jones movie in 2019! I am probably one of the few Indy fans that genuinely enjoys all the movies (and the TV series and most of the spinoff books, comics, and video games too, for that matter. Even on the ones I don't like much, I can find a few things to appreciate.)
Speaking of books, on a slightly off-topic matter, it would be great if the hype sure to come with a new movie would inspire some good merchandise, like say the Indiana Jones video game that was originally being worked on in lieu of "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings"- and the novelization of that video game.
Back on topic- I do feel like this should probably be the last Indy movie, as I can't honestly see Harrison Ford making many more action movies like this. Of course, as long as he's up for it and they can do it justice, I'll be willing to watch it. I think I'd prefer for them to do Indy 5 and be done though- but I doubt Disney will let that happen. (If only more movies could take cues from the "Back to the Future" franchise and just leave a good thing well enough alone.) Don't get me wrong though; I thoroughly enjoyed "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and I am very excited for a fifth movie! I just think that logistically, it should be the last one. (Because I don't particularly want to see Indiana Jones movies not starring Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. I'm not really interested in seeing Young Indy movies...but I'll cross that bridge when they get to that point.)
Anyway- YAY for this exciting news! I hope they get a good story with an epic adventure and a thrilling quest- preferably for something not already covered in the comics and books.... (I like to maintain continuity if possible, though some of it's already kinda shaky when it comes to Indiana Jones. If Disney does what it did to Star Wars with Episode VII as far as throwing out the Expanded Universe continuity- then I'd be upset...George Lucas was generally good about keeping his various universes within continuity, something I always appreciate.
Well, I look forward to hearing some more good news about this venture soon.
And I really hope Marion and Sallah both appear- a cameo from Short Round would be awesome as well. And maybe they can talk Sean Connery into an appearance as a flashback scene or something....you never know.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #38
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Wait! WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #39
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

So excited for this, I felt like it would happen based on the talk from Ford, Spielberg and Disney but to see it confirmed with an official release date is beyond exciting. I am glad they are not going the James Bond route and just recasting the character. I think it cheapens it when there is no overall story line and the character never ages, they just switch actors. Hopefully they will come up with a great story, I assume it will be set in the 60's based on the fact it will be released over a decade after the 4th film.

I loved Harrison in VII and I thought Spielberg did a great job with "Bridge of Spies." I still think these two men can deliver an awesome film. Hopefully Disney can get an Indy film to work as well as they did with episode VII.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #40
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
Wait! WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!?

He's just as surprised at his age, as you are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
I'll have that dish once we know to what extent Mr. Ford will feature. Full course, bookends, flash forwards, two stories running parallel in the past and the present?

Well, the announcement was made on March 15 (Ides of March) so that's telling.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #41
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

I really hope this means a video game, new novel(s) and documentaries are releasing to coincide with the release!

Wonder if we can get that Staff of Kings thing rolling again, try to get Disney and Lucasfilm to finally publish it.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #42
EvilEmperorZoRG
IndyFan

I really hope that we will finally get a next gen Indiana Jones game along with the movie. But with different story, maybe set back in the 30s again. And H. Ford Face/Voice of course.

The cancelled 2007 game really looked great and I wonder why they cancelled it...
Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #43
kongisking
IndyFan

Kongisking hath returned! Just saw the news mere moments ago.

I deserve every insult imaginable for losing faith that this would happen.

Oh, what a day. WHAT A LOVELY DAY.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #44
Mike00spy
IndyFan

Obviously, it will be interesting to see what direction they take.

If we look at Indy history, the only other time an Indy movie was met with some criticism was Temple of Doom, and the Big 3 changed directions to mimic Raiders.

I would be shocked if they didn't follow the same route this time, based on the underwhelming response to Skull. Of course, we can look to Star Wars to see where Indy 5 might be headed as well. Ep 7 threw out the prequels and gave people fans what they wanted, which was the original trilogy. This supports the idea we are getting a film in the same vain as Raiders (and/or Temple or Crusade) as well. Does this mean a return of Sallah? Short Round? Connery cameo? (he really needs a good bye role- League of Extraordinary Gentleman isn't exactly fitting)

Possible Long Shot: Disney gives Indy fans a big kiss in the form of Fate of Atlantis?

Hopefully, in the end, the course correction involves the following the things:

A: Practical Effects
B: Greater Scope with more on location shooting.
C: Darker Tone (Doesn't mean it has to be "DARK" but a bigger sense of danger would be great.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #45
James
IndyFan

Quote:

I'd be very surprised if the same dynamic seen in KOTCS and The Force Awakens* isn't used as the template. Ford may not be expected to carry every single set piece but Force Awakens clearly demonstrated he's capable of headlining a blockbuster.

(*It also won't surprise me if Indy is paired with a young female sidekick this time around- or even if Ridley or Boyega are considered for roles.)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #46
Mike00spy
IndyFan

As for the possible 1960s time period,

Does Spielberg take things full circle and draw some inspiration from the 1960s Cold War/Spy craze?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #47
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:

This. I think any one of those options would make for an interesting twist on the usual Indy movie formula. Here's hoping.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #48
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
So, Am I getting your leftovers, or do I have to order my own plate?
Boy, were we wrong.

Maybe we weren't. I just found this spoiler of Harrison and Karen on their first day of filming.

Perhaps we were only wrong in what ROLE Harry's been given in the new film.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #49
Duaner
IndyFan

This is some great news, but there is nothing to suggest there won't be another actor as Indy in the same film. The idea of Ford bookends has been tossed around many times on here. I still believe this is the route they will go.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #50
curmudgeon
IndyFan

If they bookend it, I'd at least hope the past portion is set in a time period where we don't already have a live-action Indy. Maybe some expedition with Abner in the mid-20's?
Closed Thread