TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #26
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Indy, on film at least, has never found his way The Dark Continent. A real pulpy, dark yarn with H. Rider Haggard touches (but without the 19th century racism) set in Africa would not only be an opportunity for a more diverse and organic cast (rather than just casting minorities for the sake of pandering), but could open up some interesting story ideas. Give it a pulp meets older John Wayne feel. Dark. Gritty. Cast Idris Elba as a local ally of Indy ala Sallah, make the antagonist a British Colonialist type.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Indy, on film at least, has never found his way The Dark Continent.

What Continent is Cairo on?

Last edited by Pale Horse : 06-30-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #28
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
What Continent is Cairo on?

Yeah, but in the imagined geography that Indiana Jones lives in, the casbah-inflected "Cairo" of Raiders and a sub-Saharan "Dark Continent" have little in common. Even in our geography, Alexandretta is twice as close to Cairo as, say, Khartoum, which is still in the Sahara and still on (one of the branches of) the Nile.

Apart from my moratorium on putting more James Bonds into the Indy films, I would say that Idris Elba seems like rather too big a star for such a part, but his talents would be welcome, as would those of any number of other first-or-second generation African actors currently breaking through, like those mentioned here or the magazine-covering Lupita Nyong'o and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 06-30-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #29
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Yeah, but in the imagined geography that Indiana Jones lives in, the casbah-inflected "Cairo" of Raiders and a sub-Saharan "Dark Continent" have little in common..

Understood. I just being semantic.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Understood. I just being semantic.

And I pedantic.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #31
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #32
Pale Horse

Quote:
And I pedantic.

Maybe a little trollific?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #33
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Maybe a little trollific?

Haven't seen a good troll in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sartorius

Looks like the franchise has nowhere to go but up.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #34
Duaner
IndyFan

Going along with the idea of an African actor being cast in a supporting role, I will suggest Barkhad Abdi who was amazing as the Somali pirate leader in the film Captain Phillips - nominated for an Oscar in fact. In the three years since, he has not really had any huge roles other than a guest gig on Hawaii Five-O and a supporting role in a film that only had a limited U.S. release.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #35
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Going along with the idea of an African actor being cast in a supporting role, I will suggest Barkhad Abdi who was amazing as the Somali pirate leader in the film Captain Phillips - nominated for an Oscar in fact. In the three years since, he has not really had any huge roles other than a guest gig on Hawaii Five-O and a supporting role in a film that only had a limited U.S. release.

Maybe Ford will pass his name along; he's just been cast in the Blade Runner sequel.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #36
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Maybe Ford will pass his name along; he's just been cast in the Blade Runner sequel.

That's cool! I missed that news. I guess it was just the other day though.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #37
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

How about having Elsa return? Maybe she drank the last drop when no one else was watching? Or the cup fell to her after the tremors, and fortunately the cup was wet enough for her.

It would be interesting what Marion would think of her.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:46 AM   #38
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

For Hollywood, Africa south of Egypt and its history does not exist.

I recently talked to an Egyptian friend who more than a little amused at claims that westerners wearing Ancient Egyptian clothes and accessories is "cultural appropriation" when Egypt's tourist industry *depends* on it.
JollyGreenSlugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #39
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSlugg
For Hollywood, Africa south of Egypt and its history does not exist.

Largely true, especially re: the history piece. But for maybe the first time in Hollywood, there's a range of buzzy first- or second-generation African actors available to cast in stories about Africa. It's not inconceivable. It's more possible now than it was at the time of the earlier films.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #40
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Certain Asian countries don't appear much in Hollywood either. (When considering Harrison Ford's age, it would be suitable to have the movie start during the '70s. And there could be flashbacks of the times when Indy was younger). For the '70s, there's an Asian location that would make an interesting plot. Inside the DMZ in between the two Koreas (in Cheorwon) contains the ruins of the capital city of an old Korean kindom. I'm not making this up. There could be an artifact hidden in there. During the '70s, there were more border raids and ambushes done by the North Koreans than during the present decade.

Last edited by Kai Hagen : 08-17-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #41
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
If there's a role for a young actress (young Marion perhaps?) I'd like to see Margaret Qualley considered. I think she's a talent to watch and has a classic 'vintage' look about her that would suit the Indy ambience.

indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #42
DirkPitt
IndyFan

I would like to see Sallah once again. He was great in Raiders and Crusade. From what I know, John Rhys-Davies would be happy to return, although I read somewhere, that he rejected cameo in Skull.

Interaction between Willie and Marion would be great to see especially as Indy is married to the latter.

What about Short Round? As an adult he could be the similar adventurer as Indy and they could go for an adventure together.

Marcus Brody won't be back, but Charles Stanforth could return...

I definitely don't want the deaths of Marion and Mutt. If they won't have anything to do in the script - just send them to other side of the country.

I know it won't happen, but it would be great, if they would bring back Henry Jones Sr. They killed him off in Skull, but let's just say, that he was missing and presumed dead or something like this.

On a side note - imagine the following scene:
Action takes place in the 60s and Indy sees the poster for one of the James Bond movies. He stops for a while, scratches his head and mumbles to himself "This guy looks just like my father..."
DirkPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #43
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkPitt
I would like to see Sallah once again. He was great in Raiders and Crusade. From what I know, John Rhys-Davies would be happy to return, although I read somewhere, that he rejected cameo in Skull.

It seemed like in every interview Rhys-Davies gave between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull he expressed interest in returning for the fourth film, which gives you an idea of just how lame he considered the cameo offered him to be. Apparently they would have just green-screened him applauding at the wedding. Give Sallah something to do, and I'll bet he'd jump at the chance.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #44
moon_tan
IndyFan

I agree. They should bring back John Rhys-Davies and Jonathan Ke Quan and not just a cameo appearance. Let them be apart of the action again.
moon_tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #45
seasider
IndyFan

As much I love Sallah and Short Round, I don't see the point in bringing these characters back unless they were an integral part of the plot. We've seen what happens in the previous films when they try to bring favorite characters back. It just doesn't work as well.

Sallah returned for Last Crusade but in that movie he was basically a goofy caricature of himself arguing with Indy about camels and compensation. However, on a side note I think it would be funny if they have a scene where we actually get to meet his brother-in-law and he's played by Danny DeVito. DeVito as you know was originally considered for the Sallah character.

But I would rather see Indy be on a a new adventure with new sidekicks that we haven't met yet. I mean the guy has been on adventures for half a century, Sallah, Shortround and Mac can't be the only friends he has in the business.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #46
TheFedora
IndyFan

Yeah they should have a new sort of character for this...maybe play upon Indy's role as a professor. Have a graduate student come along with him for the adventure. Sort of he sees that they have a thesis that the rest of the school board laughs at, but Indy is the only one willing to sponsor their dig or whatever.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #47
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Have Choi Min-sik as a villain, probably a North Korean lieutenant:

Come to think of it, would North Korea be ok about it as long as the North Korean leader doesn't appear in it? Sony hacking...

Last edited by Kai Hagen : 06-07-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #48
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Surprised Jon Hamm hasn't been mentioned yet. Assuming this is an Indy 5 with Harrison were talking about and not a reboot, he fits perfectly in a 1960s setting, and would work either as a villain or acquaintance of Indy(or maybe both like Mac).

And while the franchise has already stressed out African deserts, if the film does return to that region there should be no reason Sallah doesn't return. It would be an obvious but perfect way to tie in to the original trilogy, and it would be great to see John Rhys-Davis again, who is alive and active as ever.

Maybe they can offer a role to Danny DeVito, Spielberg's original choice for Sallah!
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #49
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tan
I agree. They should bring back John Rhys-Davies and Jonathan Ke Quan and not just a cameo appearance. Let them be apart of the action again.

I'd love to see Sallah come back and Short Round could be interesting as an adult. It might be fun to see him pit his archaeology skills against Indy's and watch how their dynamic has changed over the years.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #50
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Surprised Jon Hamm hasn't been mentioned yet. Assuming this is an Indy 5 with Harrison were talking about and not a reboot, he fits perfectly in a 1960s setting, and would work either as a villain or acquaintance of Indy(or maybe both like Mac).

And while the franchise has already stressed out African deserts, if the film does return to that region there should be no reason Sallah doesn't return. It would be an obvious but perfect way to tie in to the original trilogy, and it would be great to see John Rhys-Davis again, who is alive and active as ever.

Maybe they can offer a role to Danny DeVito, Spielberg's original choice for Sallah!

Maybe instead of like a super villain scheme, it can be more practical focused. And a villain/acquaintance could be better done maybe a fellow archaeologist who turns to the illegal antiquities trade? I was thinking like a long con sort of plot where he only helps out indy so far as he knows where the item is. And yeah Hamm would be good for a role like that.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote