TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
weaponx24
IndyFan

Adventurebilt Indy IV Update?

Anyone know when the Adventurebuilt site is going to put up its section about the Indy IV fedora? I've checked it a couple times and it still says more to come soon...Also I was thinking about possibley purchasing an AB...any AB owners out there that recommend them and what they like about them?
weaponx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponx24
Anyone know when the Adventurebuilt site is going to put up its section about the Indy IV fedora? I've checked it a couple times and it still says more to come soon...Also I was thinking about possibley purchasing an AB...any AB owners out there that recommend them and what they like about them?

Better hurry if you want one-- Steve Delk has announced that he's retiring in about 3 years, and he's already got a waiting list more than a year long. Of course, Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt Deluxe in Germany has no plans to retire anytime soon, but his wait list may be even longer than Steve's and his ultra-high quality version of the AB costs a lot more.

The AB's are fabulous hats, and you can order them any way you want them, as they are custom made. I have the CS hat and also the Magnoli/Adventurebilt/Herbert Johnson, both of which I love, but they are quite different in both materials and appearance.

The AB's featured in CS actually disappointed me a little because they did not look as beaten up as the hats in the other films-- but that is actually the best advertisement for the quality of their hats that AB could have asked for. No hat is indestructable, but an AB obviously can take abuse better than most others can. They are specially treated for water repellancy and to resist crown taper, which happens to most hats over time.

The best thing to do would be to contact Steve by email and tell him what you want (or Marc if you prefer the Deluxe).

Jack
eazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
weaponx24
IndyFan

thanks man! i'll look into it!
weaponx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Nuts, he's retiring soon? I might have to step up getting one on my priority list.

As far as I can tell from the site though, I can't figure out the difference between the standard and deluxe. Is there much of one?
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAdventurer01
Nuts, he's retiring soon? I might have to step up getting one on my priority list.

As far as I can tell from the site though, I can't figure out the difference between the standard and deluxe. Is there much of one?

The Deluxe is made of the highest quality materials available anywhere in the world, including a roo hide sweatband. For many it's considered a little unnecessary and over the top, but there's no denying the Deluxe is a fine piece of workmanship for those who can afford the higher price.

Here's a thread by Marc Kitter detailing how he makes an AB Deluxe:

www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=378727#378727

Jack
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
WrathofGod
IndyFan

I've got an adventure built on order, so far i've waited over a year.
WrathofGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
IndyAJA77
IndyFan

I have one on order too and I've been waiting over 13 months. But, from everything I've heard, it will be worth the wait. I confess to being a bit anxious though, since it has been so long. I had hoped it be here for Christmas, now I'm hoping I'll get it in time for my birthday next month.
IndyAJA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
WrathofGod
IndyFan

AT this point i'll be happy if it turns up at all.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
IndyWhips
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathofGod
AT this point i'll be happy if it turns up at all.

It will

Tony
IndyWhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
penman hats
IndyFan

Either way you go the Adventurebilt by Steve Delk or the Adventurebilt delux by Marc Kitter. You will not be disappointed and well worth the wait. They are just simple the best at making Indy hats. I have both of their work and they are fantastic.

Both are the nicest of guys, very giving of them selves and their time, when it comes to hat making. They have been a big help to me. I can not say enough about both of these gentlemen.
penman hats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
inuvuwow
IndyFan

Adventurebilt...

I got an Adventurebilt awhile back on Ebay and it simply is the best of the best. I love it. I wear it all the time.
Though, I must admit, I would love to order( hopefully soon) the grey hat from Crystal Skull from Penman Hats. I need something a little more dressy for special occasions.
inuvuwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
WrathofGod
IndyFan

It's been about 19 months now since i ordered my hat from adventurebuilt, has anyone else waited longer than that or has anyone got a response from adventure built when enquiring about an ETA on their hat build?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
penman hats
IndyFan

Here the deal. Steve makes his hats all by hand just like Marc and myself. Some hatter claim they make hats by hand but use sewing machines and machines. The Adventurebilt guys and myself do not. Only are 2 hands.

Steve and Marc's list is about a year and a half as the last I knew. They also get hit with e-mails and most of them are just after a couple of months of placing their order/payment. They ask if there is any progress even when both guys are known for their big lead times. This clogs up there e-mails a good deal. I know steve wakes up to a hundred e-mails a day. Takes time and sometimes e-mails get missed.

Since you are near the end of the wait I would keep hitting him with e-mails until you get a answer.

The good thing is Steve has always delivered on all his orders. He is a real stand up guy and I can only say that about very few.

I hope that helps some.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
WrathofGod
IndyFan

Yeah it does help thanks if he's coming up to my order i won't bother him with another pesky email
Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
penman hats
IndyFan

When you think your time has arrived then I would start hitting him with e-mails.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #16
Canyon
IndyFan

Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by penman hats
Either way you go the Adventurebilt by Steve Delk or the Adventurebilt delux by Marc Kitter. You will not be disappointed and well worth the wait. They are just simple the best at making Indy hats. I have both of their work and they are fantastic.

Both are the nicest of guys, very giving of them selves and their time, when it comes to hat making. They have been a big help to me. I can not say enough about both of these gentlemen.

I have to go with everything that penman hats has said here.

AB's hats are awesome and penman, your work in pretty spectacular as well! (enter clapping emote here)
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
IndyAJA77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathofGod
It's been about 19 months now since i ordered my hat from adventurebuilt, has anyone else waited longer than that or has anyone got a response from adventure built when enquiring about an ETA on their hat build?

I'm up to 20 months and counting, so yes I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly, I've tried to forget about it so that it will be a nice, big surprise when it does arrive!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
IndyAJA77
IndyFan

Anyone know where the wait time is at these days? It's up to 22 months for me (ordered Oct. '07).
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
WrathofGod
IndyFan

Haven't got mine yet. After 21 months you start to feel a little foolish.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #20
eazybox
IndyFan

The last I heard, which was a few days ago, Steve Delk was still working on '07 orders. He says that once he gets done with those, the wait times will shrink dramatically.

He blames the glut of '07 orders on the fact that he didn't raise his price soon enough after the announcement of AB being the hatter for CS.

Jack
Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #21
IndyAJA77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox
The last I heard, which was a few days ago, Steve Delk was still working on '07 orders. He says that once he gets done with those, the wait times will shrink dramatically.

He blames the glut of '07 orders on the fact that he didn't raise his price soon enough after the announcement of AB being the hatter for CS.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

I'm trying to be patient. It's really not that hard to forget about it, but every now and then I get this nagging feeling of did something go wrong. I'm not up to 22 months (I ordered Oct. '07). So, hopefully, worst case scenario I'll have it for Christmas.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
penman hats
IndyFan

Just an FYI for you guys. In the month that it was told that Adventurebilt was doing the hats for Indy 4 he got more orders than any hatter would get in a year. Then he had months that followed that was hight as well. He has not , not delivered a hat to a customer. It may take him a long time but it will be delivered to you. He's a real stand up guy, just over worked one.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #23
WrathofGod
IndyFan

In the old days a craftsman (by hand type) would put his poster up offering his services and a few folks in town would come and solicit those services.

This old world craftsman posted a feature film right around the globe and then an order form via the internet to every town on the face of the earth.

So yeah i suppose he's going to be busy. lol

I wish the world had a lot more like him...A LOT MORE.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
penman hats
IndyFan

Steve and Marc of Adventurebilt are very special guys. The make hats just like they did back in the day. They have been very helpful to me and I can't thank them enough.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
WrathofGod
IndyFan

Don't get me wrong, i prefer old school artisans. And i'm glad this fellow is around and obsessed enough to resurrect and old craft.