User Name
Password

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #76
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
HAHAHA Really? I don't remember that.

Tolkien might be able to get away with it a little more since, if I remember correctly, I think Tolkien starts out directly talking to the reader about Hobbits and such. By doing so, one could argue that he separates the reader from the story a bit and draws him closer to the author (a common trick in children's books). Then, he can use terminology that the reader would know even if the characters would be unaware of it. Still, I wouldn't do it. It's jarring.

Stine has little excuse however given that the reader is supposed to be one of the characters in the book. There are even pictures of the reader/protagonist in the story. How could he know what a car alarm is?

I just downloaded The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings so I could search the text: there's use of the term "pop-gun" in The Hobbit, and the dragon firework in The Fellowship of the Ring was described "like an express train". I can forgive Tolkien, but maybe not Stine!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #77
IndyBr
IndyFan

I have the follow Find your Fate books:

- The Cup of the Vampire
- The Lost Treasure of Sheba
- The Ape Slaves of the Howling Island
- The Cult of the Mummy's Crypt
- Horror Island

I haven't got the chance to read The Cult of the Mummy's Crypts yet, but I'm not crazy about the other ones, specially not The Ape Slaves of Howling Island, where Indy can speak the "Ape language"....

But the covers are all quite nice.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #78
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBr
I'm not crazy about the other ones, specially not The Ape Slaves of Howling Island,
Though you must admit, it has a great title!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #79
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

I owned a few of these as a kid. They were fun for me at 7-8 years old but they are designed for kids as far as reading. Cool collectible though.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #80
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I never owned any of these, but I was into the Fighting Fantasy series (as a natural addiction to wargaming and RPGs). I remember when Warlock of Firetop Mountain came out, there was a live action show on TV explaining how these books worked.

From what I read here the Indy series were aimed at a younger audience than the FF?
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #81
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
From what I read here the Indy series were aimed at a younger audience than the FF?
I've never read "Fighting Fantasy" but, like Henry W said, these Indy books were for 7-8 year olds. I bought the 1st one when it came out and I was 17! Had a read or two and never bothered getting the rest of the series. Now I want them all. Ironic, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I've been searching the libraries for these...to STEAL THEM!!!!

No really, they should reprint these!
I agree but would prefer having the originals. At least 4 of them were reprinted in 1994.

01 Curse of Horror Island
03 Giants of the Sliver Tower
07 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt
16 Apes Slaves of Howling Island
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #82
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I've never read "Fighting Fantasy" but, like Henry W said, these Indy books were for 7-8 year olds. I bought the 1st one when it came out and I was 17! Had a read or two and never bothered getting the rest of the series. Now I want them all. Ironic, eh?
I agree but would prefer having the originals. At least 4 of them were reprinted in 1994.

01 Curse of Horror Island
03 Giants of the Sliver Tower
07 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt
16 Apes Slaves of Howling Island

As far as a collectible I would love to own them again to. I had to spend lots of $$$ to replace lots of stuff I thought I outgrew then realized I should have kept the firecrackers and bb guns away from. Live and learn
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #83
IndyBr
IndyFan

They look great in my collection, it's a nice addition and all, but man... Indy comunicating with Apes and telling then that if they helped him they could go play outside... that hurt!

Oddly, there's a sentece in the Ape Slaves books that fits nicely with what has been told us in the Young Indy tv series:

Indy chuckles. "Well... I've always been good with languages. When I was in Kenya with Dr. Ravensworth a few summers ago, I learned a little ape. Sort of picked it up naturally, you might say."

But in the other hand... there is one book where he can't understand Italian.

And I thinkthat in Curse of the Horror Island he goes to a dig started by his former professor: Abner Ravenwood.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #84
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Indy comunicating with Apes and telling then that if they helped him they could go play outside... that hurt!

Indy chuckles. "Well... I've always been good with languages. When I was in Kenya with Dr. Ravensworth a few summers ago, I learned a little ape. Sort of picked it up naturally, you might say."
Ha! That is hilarious, IndyBr. Please, you must add it to this thread: Indy's languages

Last edited by Stoo : 10-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #85
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Wouldn't it be great to have all of them digitally. If only someone or even Lucasfilm had that vision!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #86
Rocket Surgeon

I couldn't believe it at first when I found a hard copy of The Curse of Horror Island!

Anyone know if any of the others came out in hardcover?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #87
indyclone25
IndyFan

i'm sure they must have released them in hardcover at one point for either libraries or for schools , that is why the book was hardcover i would love a few of those in my collection.
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #88
Ska
IndyFan

I believe I have at lease one hardcover (that I found at yard sales, library clean-outs, etc). I'll check when I get home.

I'm pretty sure I own:
#2 The Lost Treasure of Sheba (softcover), original print
#4 Eye of the Fates (hardcover), original print
#7 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt (softcover), reprint

Last edited by Ska : 10-24-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #89
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
But the covers are all quite nice.
In my opinion, most of the covers aren't very good. (A couple of years before these books came out, "Starlog" magazine did an article on the artist, David Mattingly. Did you know that his dad invented the Waterpik?)
Quote:
I couldn't believe it at first when I found a hard copy of The Curse of Horror Island!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
#4 Eye of the Fates (hardcover), original print
Hardcovers? That's news! Like Indyclone suggested, maybe they were intended for libraries?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #90
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Hardcovers? That's news! Like Indyclone suggested, maybe they were intended for libraries?

While it's certainly news to me too, I think only Ska's post is evidence in that direction; Rocket's "hard copy" would simply seem to mean that it is a physically existing copy, not one that has a hard cover.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #91
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
While it's certainly news to me too, I think only Ska's post is evidence in that direction; Rocket's "hard copy" would simply seem to mean that it is a physically existing copy, not one that has a hard cover.
Rocket must have found a hardcover because of the question he asked:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #92
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I still have the whole Find Your Fate series from when I was a kid! In fact, Eye of the Fates was the first Indiana Jones book that I ever bought. Picked it up at the school book fair in 1986, and my parents ordered the rest of the series for me using the order form in the back. So I got the whole set in one bundle, and I literally read the covers off of them!

But the hardback editions were even cooler. I remember that our school library (at Hahn Elementary School, in Germany) had the Indy series in hardback, and I would borrow them relentlessly because of how cool it was to tote them around in my backpack all the time (even though I already had the whole series in paperback at home). I *still* wish I owned the hardbacks, with the glossy covers and cardboard binding. I really did want to keep them, but I was too honest to steal them. Damned juvenile integrity.

Some of the cover art was better than others and, let's face it, as a kid I wasn't very discriminating even though I could see that some of the portraits resembled Harrison Ford better than others. My favorite cover was Mask of the Elephant, which contained a description of Indiana Jones that is suitable for one of the adult Indy novels by MacGregor or McCoy:

What a joke he was on the boat! Round-rimmed glasses, brown suits during the day, white tux at night. The rumors said he was a college professor, and he sure looked the part—until the boat docked. Suddenly the glasses were gone and so were the brown suits. With that beat-up brown felt hat, safari jacket, pistol at his side and whip around his shoulder, he looked like he was ready to give the jungle the only kind of lecture it understood.

As a writer, it's one of those paragraphs that's so good I wish I'd written it myself!
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #93
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Rocket must have found a hardcover because of the question he asked:

Quote:

Aha, yes. I fully concede the point.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #94
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Aha, yes.
I'll post a pic of the hardcover later....
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #95
Ska
IndyFan

Quote:
I'll post a pic of the hardcover later....

As will I if I remember to do so when I'm at home.

I remember mine being white on the spine and for a border around the image on the front and back.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #96
IndyBr
IndyFan

Mine are all paperback.
I would love to have then in hardcover!
Maybe I should look around in the internet for it.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #97
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Yes, the covers were printed on very thin paper, laminated onto the white hardback stock, and the titles on the spine were the plain red text of the First Edition printings. The Indy logo spines were introduced on the reprints (as most of my books are). Sometimes you can find copies in very good condition at used bookstores and on eBay (search 'Indiana Jones Find Your Fate', and there's a whole set going for an ungodly price).
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #98
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
Yes, the covers were printed on very thin paper, laminated onto the white hardback stock, and the titles on the spine were the plain red text of the First Edition printings. The Indy logo spines were introduced on the reprints (as most of my books are). Sometimes you can find copies in very good condition at used bookstores and on eBay (search 'Indiana Jones Find Your Fate', and there's a whole set going for an ungodly price).

If you mean the $200 set it's missing some books and $200 for an incomplete set is ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #99
whipwarrior
IndyFan

No, the set is complete. Find Your Fate books 10-15 were James Bond stories, as I discovered when I wrote a letter to Ballantine Books about the mystery back in the mid-90's. I think the popularity of the Indy series waned after Temple of Doom was released, and then picked up again when production on Last Crusade was announced (Gold of Genghis Khan was published in 1985, while Ape Slaves and Mask of the Elephant hit bookstores in early 1987). So the set IS technically complete, but the seller's price is outrageous, even if they are all First Editions, with the rare collectible slipcase.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #100
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
No, the set is complete. Find Your Fate books 10-15 were James Bond stories, as I discovered when I wrote a letter to Ballantine Books about the mystery back in the mid-90's. I think the popularity of the Indy series waned after Temple of Doom was released, and then picked up again when production on Last Crusade was announced (Gold of Genghis Khan was published in 1985, while Ape Slaves and Mask of the Elephant hit bookstores in early 1987). So the set IS technically complete, but the seller's price is outrageous, even if they are all First Editions, with the rare collectible slipcase.

Good piece of info. And yes I agree that is still to steep a price to pay even if it is complete.