Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Ska

Just swapped games with a coworker. Gave him Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for Metal Gear Solid 4. Been wanted to complete the Snake quadrilogy for a while now.

Le Saboteur

I keep hearing about Heavy Rain in passing. Gamers mention it in their comments, the press casually mention in articles of upcoming titles to watch, and I have managed to not know anything about it. Until today, that is. Looks impressive despite the fact that Quantic Dream seems to have not quite grasped American (and cop) idioms.

Any thoughts? I know I want to try it for myself.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxw5zaXGzMk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxw5zaXGzMk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKPPdgBK3r8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKPPdgBK3r8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ska

Definitely want to try Heavy Rain when it's released. Looks very unique and story driven.

bennihana123

Got a ton of giftcards for my birthday recently, and I had some old games to trade in, so I bought:

Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect

Ska

bennihana123 said:
Got a ton of giftcards for my birthday recently, and I had some old games to trade in, so I bought:

Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect

Been wanting to play Assassin's Creed for a while now. The sequel looks great and is getting good reviews.

The Drifter

Agent Crab said:
Donkey Kong Country 2 is awesome, okay?

How 'bout Donkey Kong 64?

"D-K, Donkey Kong!
D-K, Donkey Kong is here!
He's the leader of the bunch,
You know him well.
And, he's finally back,
To kick some tail!
His coconut gun,
Can fire in spurts.
And, if it hits ya,
It's gonna hurt!"

I can't remember the rest.

IAdventurer01

Lonsome_Drifter said:
How 'bout Donkey Kong 64?

"D-K, Donkey Kong!
D-K, Donkey Kong is here!
He's the leader of the bunch,
You know him well.
And, he's finally back,
To kick some tail!
His coconut gun,
Can fire in spurts.
And, if it hits ya,
It's gonna hurt!"

I can't remember the rest.

And some of us wish we could. ;)

avidfilmbuff

I just got into adventure games and retro games last year. Before that, the only games I ever played were Mario and a few other platform games. I'll also play other types of games if there is something about them that's interesting. I've already played some of the best know adventure games such as Fate of Atlantis, Zelda, and Monkey Island. There are still plenty of adventure and action adventure games that I still haven't tried so if anyone wishes to recommend me some, I'll be grateful. As for recently, I've just purchased Phoenix Wright on Amazon.com, it'l probably arrive in a week.

Finn

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
Good games in their own right, but not adventure games in the genre sense.

Eh, just a minor gripe, but it seems that fairly many people don't know what is an adventure game and what isn't. Sometimes they mix RPGs for these, sometimes action platformers (no, children, Tomb Raider or Uncharted are NOT adventure games) and this happens quite so often I just have this unpassable need to educate anyone who happens to mention an example that actually isn't part of the genre.

Do you feel educated now? Good. Let us continue.

avidfilmbuff

Finn said:
Good games in their own right, but not adventure games in the genre sense.

Eh, just a minor gripe, but it seems that fairly many people don't know what is an adventure game and what isn't. Sometimes they mix RPGs for these, sometimes action platformers (no, children, Tomb Raider or Uncharted are NOT adventure games) and this happens quite so often I just have this unpassable need to educate anyone who happens to mention an example that actually isn't part of the genre.

Do you feel educated now? Good. Let us continue.

Zelda is an action-adventure game. So no it isn't an adventure game in the fact that it contains action. But if you look at the definition of adventure games you'll see that it means a game that is driven by exploration and puzzle solving, which Zelda contains, but since it also contains action, it is classified as an action-adventure game. So really, the action-adventure genre is a sub-genre of both the action genre and the adventure genre. So whenever I use the term adventure game, I'm referring to games that include puzzle solving and exploration, whether that means an adventure game in its purest definition, action-adventure, point and click adventure, or any other game which contains adventure elements. I'm not a gaming fanatic, but that's what I mean when I use the term, but thank you anyway for the correction, even though I disagree.

Finn

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
So really, the action-adventure genre is a sub-genre of both the action genre and the adventure genre.
Not really. There are enough titles out there that combine both elements that it's more a genre of its own.

Adventure games omit direct player-controlled action as part of the core gameplay. There might be short action secquences or quick-time events (which most adventure gamers abhor, by the way) that don't yet disown a title from the genre, but when combat is included as a crucial element in a title, it either becomes an action-adventure or, if the game contains player-driven plot elements and character progression, an RPG.

Control method doesn't define an adventure game though. While point'n'click is the most conventional, even your standard first- or third person 3D interface can be used in an adventure game as long as there is no large quantities of combat and emphasis is on puzzle-solving and exploration.

So, the bottom line is that if there's more than amble amounts of fightin' and jumpin' to go around, as is the case with Zelda titles one really shouldn't call them an "adventure game" per se. Or, if one does, a clarification that the term is used in a lax context is in order.

avidfilmbuff

Finn said:
Not really. There are enough titles out there that combine both elements that it's more a genre of its own.

Adventure games omit direct player-controlled action as part of the core gameplay. There might be short action secquences or quick-time events (which most adventure gamers abhor, by the way) that don't yet disown a title from the genre, but when combat is included as a crucial element in a title, it either becomes an action-adventure or, if the game contains player-driven plot elements and character progression, an RPG.

Control method doesn't define an adventure game though. While point'n'click is the most conventional, even your standard first- or third person 3D interface can be used in an adventure game as long as there is no large quantities of combat and emphasis is on puzzle-solving and exploration.

So, the bottom line is that if there's more than amble amounts of fightin' and jumpin' to go around, as is the case with Zelda titles one really shouldn't call them an "adventure game" per se. Or, if one does, a clarification that the term is used in a lax context is in order.

All right, if you insist. I shall now rephrase my previous statement, I enjoy any game with "adventure elements," meaning I enjoy any game which contains exploration and puzzle solving. I'm not a hardcore gamer so you must forgive me if I seem rather ignorant in the way I describe them, I just prefer to use the term "adventure game" to describe any game that includes puzzle solving and exploration, even though it may be slightly inaccurate. But like I said I'm not an expert in this field, so please forgive me if I sound foolish.

Finn

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
All right, if you insist. I shall now rephrase my previous statement, I enjoy any game with "adventure elements," meaning I enjoy any game which contains exploration and puzzle solving. I'm not a hardcore gamer so you must forgive me if I seem rather ignorant in the way I describe them, I just prefer to use the term "adventure game" to describe any game that includes puzzle solving and exploration, even though it may be slightly inaccurate. But like I said I'm not an expert in this field, so please forgive me if I sound foolish.
'Tis all right. It's just that us fans of this oh-so-marginal genre nowadays should hold onto this distinction to show that there is still love for pure-blood puzzle solving instead of falling into the ignorance of general populace which results in games incorrectly labeled as "adventures" since they contain a single "put round plug in a round hole" -moment amidst all the runnin' and gunning.

And allow me to say, sir, that there is nothing wrong with your tastes. :hat:

Also, since you were looking for recommendations, I suggest you take a gander at the Broken Sword series. The story themes, humor and general execution should be right up an Indyfan's alley.

The Drifter

Are all point-an-click games considered Adventure? Would you consider Heavy Rain a adventure with it's gameplay being primary QTEs?

Finn

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
Are all point-an-click games considered Adventure?
It depends on what you mean by that. Even First Person Shooters are based on its own kind of pointing and clicking, when you think of it.
Lonsome_Drifter said:
Would you consider Heavy Rain a adventure with it's gameplay being primary QTEs?
Heavy Rain looks... unique. If there were more titles like it (and yes, I know about Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy) they'd probably would be worth of their own genre.

But as there are very little like it, I'd still call it an adventure game. For now, at least.

avidfilmbuff

Finn said:
It depends on what you mean by that. Even First Person Shooters are based on its own kind of pointing and clicking, when you think of it. Heavy Rain looks... unique. If there were more titles like it (and yes, I know about Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy) they'd probably would be worth of their own genre.

But as there are very little like it, I'd still call it an adventure game. For now, at least.

Say Finn, have you ever played a game called Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS? For I probably would classify that as an Adventure game combined with a mystery novel. There is quite a bit of puzzle solving although this often takes a back seat to the dialogue and story. Would you consider that an adventure game?