Dark Horse Omnibus volume 2

walker

Hi all
The Dark Horse comics omnibus Vol. 2 is now listed on Amazon.com. Given the description, it sounds like Vol. 2 includes IJ and the Golden Fleece, Iron Pheonix, Spear of Destiny, Shrine of the Sea Devil, and the Sargasso Pirates. Details follow:

Book Description
Excitement and danger follow Dr. Henry Jones Jr. around the globe in this collection of classic, long out-of-print stories! From Greece to Germany, the South Pacific to the seas of the Vikings, his race against the Nazis to recover artifacts like the Golden Fleece, the Philosopher's Stone, or the Spear of Destiny will run him afoul of legendary monsters, ancient cults, and armies of the undead! Undeniably thrilling, these are the stories that defined the meaning of adventure

Paperback, 352 pages, on sale 6/25/08

Best
walker

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's all of them from Dark Horse... next up, the 12 YIJC? I may have to replace my collection if these books have all the covers. I don't mind that the pages are slightly smaller, what's really important is the scan resolution.

Gamers should enjoy reading the video game that never was (Iron Phoenix).

Last edited:

yodazone

Wow, I had no idea "The Iron Phoenix" was going to be a video game. And they mention they were going to use live action video sequences. Wow.

I would have dug seeing this game in the 16-bit format back too if the CD-Rom wouldn't work.

Nice article find!

(y) (y) (y)

Avilos

I figure they should be able to fit all the Young Indy comics in one volume. I wonder if they will put those in chronological order? It makes more sense.

While the Marvel series should fit in two volumes.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Avilos said:
I figure they should be able to fit all the Young Indy comics in one volume. I wonder if they will put those in chronological order? It makes more sense.
They could be rearranged somewhat, but I think #1-2 and #9-10 can't be separated. They're joined by old Indy's narration, which now I wonder if they'll omit like they did on DVD and VHS. I approved for the videos, but not here. This is art! Lucas can't force them, can he?

Bjorn Heimdall

Is it possible to see art from any of the comics, anywhere on the web? Just a page would do. I'm very picky when it comes to comic book art.

metalinvader

Bjorn Heimdall said:
Is it possible to see art from any of the comics, anywhere on the web? Just a page would do. I'm very picky when it comes to comic book art.

Well,The art in DH's Indy comics is how does one say it...pretty crappy.
Though the covers are amazing...:hat:

JimmyPSHayes

I'm guessing that the regular Indy comic series will start in May then. I'm really excited for this volume. Those are some of the hardest to find back issues.

yodazone

They got the "Iron Phoenix" cover on the Omnibus 2:

Indyomnibus2.jpg

:whip: :whip: :whip:

walker

the writing

I was never that thrilled with the DH Indy series. The art, in many cases, wasn't very good and the writing missed the target as well. Some of the mini-series were just plain bad. That said, I'm probably far too forgiving when it comes to Indy comics and novels. I bought them all even when I didn't think they were very good. You could probably have a comic where Indy takes out his garbage and I would still buy it. Pathetic, really.

Sadly, the Indy mini I was most excited about, particularly from an art standpoint, never got published. It was by Adam Hughes, who is best known for doing gorgeous comic covers today. They decided to kill the books before he got his chance. I hope they offer him another.

Luckily I believe John Jackson Miller is going to be the new regular Indy series once the movie-adaptation is wrapped up. He's a good writer and currently does the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic series. We used to work together, so I got in touch with him a few weeks back and he noted that they were in the midst of trying to work out the details, but he was hopeful that he would get the job as regular writer. If that happens, I think the quality will go up in no small way.
walker

phantom train

Hopefully Volumes 3 and 4 of these IJ reprints will be the underrated Marvel IJ series - I thought these comics were vastly superior to the DH series, both in artwork and storyline. These Marvel stories should really have been reprinted first since this would make the most sense chronologically (they came out in the early 80's, long before the DH comics), but I understand why DH would want to reprint their own comics first.

Though I am a huge fan of the YIJC show (see my other posts on the YIJC thread), I'm only a moderate fan of the DH YIJC comics and, if these are reprinted, I think they should be reprinted last. These YIJC comics were average at best -the art was not that great, and they really didn't add anything to the shows they adapted.

yodazone

There's a 3-page preview of Omnibus 2 up at the Dark Horse site now:

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=15-033

Excitement and danger follow Dr. Henry Jones Jr. around the globe in this collection of classic, long-out-of-print stories! From Greece to Germany, the South Pacific to the seas of the Vikings, his race against the Nazis to recover artifacts like the Golden Fleece, the Philosopher's Stone, or the Spear of Destiny will run him afoul of legendary monsters, ancient cults, and armies of the undead! Undeniably thrilling, these are the stories that define the meaning of adventure.

* Cover art by Dave Dorman!

* Collects Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece #1-2, Indiana Jones and the Shrine of the Sea Devil, Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix #1-4, Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny #1-4, Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates #1-4.

Pub. Date: June 25, 2008
Format: Full color, 384 pages, TPB, 6" x 9"
Price: $24.95

:cool:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've been wanting to read "Spear of Destiny" for such a long time. I'm really looking forward to this, especially coz there's more adventures in this one.