Aaron's Adventurer Column

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
10 years ago it was announced:
New: Aaron's Adventurer Column
Monday, June 10, 2002 - Gilles V
TheRaider.net is happy to introduce a new monthly article, Aaron's Adventurer Column. This new column, written by Aaron Higgins, will appear once every month to discuss Indiana Jones 4 related rumors, facts, Indy knowledge, and anything else that might come up.
If you don't want to know anything about the new Indiana Jones movie then you shouldn't start following Aaron's Adventurer Column. Why? Because in Aaron's little corner of the site he will talk about major and minor plot points before they are on the big screen. So here is the notice: Possible Spoiler Material Ahead, Proceed with Caution... okay, click here to read the first issue.
It only lasted two issues...
Issue I, Volume I - June 10, 2002
Two weeks ago I was sitting in a "troop transport" deep inside an ancient Indo-Asian temple. I was leading an expedition of a dozen people deep into the mysterious heart of the complex to explore its hidden secrets. Everything was going well…that is to say until one of our members was stupid enough to look into the eyes of the Mara idol. Suddenly, our team was sent hurdling down passages filled with mummies and rooms with lava & huge snakes!
If you haven't figured it out now I am talking about one of the best rides at Disneyland Resort in California, USA…Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I will admit that I am addicted to it, after all during my six day stay I rode on it a total of 12 times! I could describe to you every twist and turn the ride will throw at you, but that would spoil the fun.
However, I am not here to talk about the greatest ride on earth, I am here to introduce my new column. That's right, every month I will type up an article like this one. In it we will be discussing rumors, facts, Indy knowledge, and anything else that might come up.
Now one of the things I must warn you about is that if you don't want to know ANYTHING about the new movie then stop visiting our website and reading this stuff. Why? Because in my little corner of the site I will talk about major and minor plot points before they are on the big screen. And I don't want to get emails from you complaining that I didn't give any warning. So here is the notice: Possible Spoiler Material Ahead, Proceed with Caution.
On a quick note, people often ask me where I find my info, you will be pleased to know that I will publicly tell all in this issue. But first you must know that if you read what I type next, your computer will melt down and your monitor will blow up killing you and all who love you. (Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have had that soda with my lunch after all) Truth of the matter is, I have many ways of garnering information, but if you want names and places, sorry bucko I don't tell anyone. For future reference, when you see me talking about "my sources" assume that I have found a website or someone has contacted me about what I am typing. However, sometimes what I say is a logical guess based off of the reports (or "sources"), and also my intimate knowledge of Lucas' and Spielberg's mind. I most likely will let you know the difference between the two (though I may forget to address that from time to time). But enough of the chatter, on with the cool fun stuff…Indiana Jones and the Fourth Film.
Back in 1992 we were given a promise of another Indy movie within a few years. Well those few years came and went and rumors of a new film sprang up every so often, but only for them to vanish like Tanis into the sands. Now, a new dawn has arisen for us die-hard fans of the movies. Recently, all of the "Big Three" (George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford) have said that the movie is ready to be filmed and that they want to do it ASAP. These announcements have caused a sleeping giant to awaken, striking the fear and excitement of one last great final adventure of our favorite hero into the hearts of even the most casual fan. Rumors are flying even faster now as official reports start to trickle in. People are finally accepting that there will be another film in this wonderful franchise. To top things off, even the "official spokespeople" of the "Three" have admitted to this glorious fact…it would appear that Indy will be on the silver-screen again in 2004 or 2005.
So what will the movie be about? To be honest only a few of the details are clear. So many scripts have been tossed around no one knows which one will be chosen, or even if they will go with the ones that exist. Aliens, the Ark (Noah's), even Arthur's Excalibur, have all been subjects of discussion not only in the fan world, but in the hallowed halls of Skywalker Ranch. And that's not to mention what agreements that the Garden of Eden script brings up among fans and the "Three". So aside from what the relic is going to be I do know some of what else is going to be seen on the silver screen. For one, a son and daughter will have at least some screen time.
I know what you are thinking now, a teenager or younger fooling around and being a general annoyance. You are totally wrong. Instead of a whiny brat, start thinking of a mature son & daughter aged in their late teens/early twenties. This allows for a ton of conflict and growth among all the characters involved, along with the inevitable "passing of the whip." Topics I will cover further next issue…
Another thing that I would like to address is who, among Indy's friends and associates, are going be coming back. We know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Willie Scott will be making a small, and hopefully brief, appearance. But there is another person who was so vital to the role of Indy it would be wrong not to have her in the same scene…Marion Ravenwood. Some people love her, others hate her. But most fans would agree there was "something" between her and Indy. Which leads me to believe, strongly, that she will be in the film…with a slightly larger role than Willie. Perhaps both women will be on the screen to inform Indy of his child they had, or maybe Marion and Indy are…should I say it?…married.
Again, with so many various stories floating around Lucas it's hard to know which one will gain approval, but I sure know that this movie will be the greatest adventure of Indy's life…and perhaps the greatest movie of all time.
I must leave you with this little tidbit of knowledge: The "crack" sound that comes from a whip is made because the tip of the whip is moving at the speed of sound. That's right, you are hearing a miniature sonic boom. I could get messy with all the physics involved, but I won't. For now keep that cracking... or should I sonic-booming!
I hope to bring more articles to you soon, in the meantime please feel free to contact me and tell me what you think I should discuss or what you like (or dislike) about Aaron's Adventurer Column.
For now keep the Spirit of Adventure alive!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Issue II, Volume I - July 10, 2002
The sun set slowly over the mountains. A silhouetted figure took off his fedora and wiped his brow. Yet he continued to toil in the still burning sun, for he knew that his hard work would pay off. Archaeology, it was his passion, his soul, his very being. Suddenly, he found what may just be the answer to all his questions, the single reason for living. "AARON!" The voice shattered his concentration. "Finish up already, it's time for dinner."
As you may or may not have guessed, I was absorbed in my own world again, filling my mind with delusions of grandeur and greatness. And all I was doing was weeding the lawn that day, but really I was in search of something far deeper than the roots of a dandelion. I was seeking adventure.
The word adventure almost seems synonymous to archaeology, at least for Indiana Jones? fans. There is a certain draw to the past that one cannot easily elude or escape from entirely. The question I ask is, why? Is it the desire to gain knowledge? To some extent the answer is yes. But really the draw to discover the past is the understanding that you are seeking to uncover something that has not been seen for years, perhaps millennia, by humans. A fire is ignited as you unearth the skeletal remains of a forgotten king, a fire of adventure.
To have an adventure one does not necessarily need to out-run boulders, dodge spinning blades, or even get anywhere near lava. The adventure is the process of peeling back the layers of time to unsheathe the unknown, the mysterious, and elusive. A great treasure may not always be found, but you are always guaranteed to find a passionate soul of adventure.
Now, just where am I going with all of this? Good question, the answer I will be filling you in on in just a minute.
As you all know, unless you have been totally off our site for the past two years, Indiana Jones IV (a strong rumor has it, Indy V) is finally starting to progress towards a filming and release date(s). After nearly 15 years, Henry Jones, Jr. will be whip swinging and slugging his way through another grand escapade. Many problems start to arise, however, Harrison Ford is starting to grow old, and by the time the film is released he will be nearly 62 years of age. Not really the prime age for being dragged behind a speeding truck. Naturally, Lucas and Spielberg realize this dilemma they face and they bring with them a plethora of solutions to the franchise. This story, my friends, will cover Indy's greatest adventure: the adventure of life, and if I may quote Robin Williams in Hook, "To live will be a great adventure."
You see Indy has gotten older, his hair has grayed, and he doesn't move as fast as he once could. He might have even considered retirement, and maybe even matrimony! This is what we will see on the screen. Oh yes, there will be the bad guys, the relic, and the inevitable female, but what the plot will really cover is just how our hero is taking this most challenging adventure of all?life and the troubles it brings.
This process is hinted towards in Last Crusade, after the Grail Temple has collapsed Indy asks his father if he found what he was looking for, Henry answers that he found illumination. Could it be that Indy seeks the same priceless richness that his dad discovered? Perhaps, but first I need to delve more into the adventure portion.
When you or I watch an Indiana Jones film, we don't watch it merely because it's archaeology, or even Indy himself. We watch it because the spirit of adventure is so tightly wound up in the stories that it cannot help but spring right into our laps, feeding us with an inner desire to seek to carve out our own legend in life. That is exactly what is to be done again with Indy IV, and perhaps V, in such a way that we cannot help but feel that excited fire burn bright for life and the adventures it will bring to us, whether we seek them or they arise on their own.
Now if, and I strongly urge the word if, Indy V (that's right, 5) is made it will only be done to explore the realms of life introduced in IV. It would mostly like feature not just Indy but his child(ren) far more prominently than in IV. I can envision a son and daughter team heading of into the unknown with a proud father looking on knowing that as long as there is a mystery or hidden truth to discover, there will always be a Jones to unveil it. Indy IV will not be the end, as my favorite author says, "but only the beginning of another beginning."
It is too early to tell just how this will all play out, but one thing is for certain; it will be a magnificent adventure no matter what happens.
Thank you for reading this article and I plan to be writing more soon! But please, in the meantime drop me a line and tell me what you think of this one and what else you might want covered in future issues. I always use your feedback (even the negative) to better myself and how I do things.
Just remember, next time you have the chance to endue into someone else that same longing for adventure that you have, take it, increase it, and urge it to grow.
May you all keep the Spirit of Adventure alive!
...and that was that. Fairly accurate, more or less, and consistent with a certain strain of rumors I've seen.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I didn't know Aaron wrote a column or tried to. He was pretty close to on the money with the stuff he had said (and I'm also refering to his past contribution to the Raven).

So with his info.... there's a daughter too? Perhaps Willie's?:p

In a sense he was right that the offspring would be in search and rescue of a parent, however this ended up being Marion (and Oxley the substitute father figure), though I suppose you could argue his search for Indy to help him could also be a metaphoric search and rescue of the depressed "person of interest" Indy, even if there's not a great deal of focus on that (in my opinion, it would have been better- more depth to their relationship even if it would be retreading some ground from LC).

Though sadly, I don't think the Indy 4 we got, got to be Indy's finest hour nor is it the "beginning of another beginning." As time goes by, the latter is looking less and less likely.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
mo_34.jpg

I suspect Aaron was reporting from both sides of a schism that dates all the way back to December 19-20 1992 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Team Lucas/McCallum wanted aliens, while team Spielberg/Ford wanted a different idea. In the late 90's when there was seemingly little Indy 4 progress, I think the latter did some independent spit-balling. Not necessarily a full blown script, perhaps little more than the 10 page E.T. II treatment. Here are some rumors I scooped up from that era, from May 1 1998:
Plot will be set in early 1950's, with Indy & dad running into escaped Nazis in South America while on vacation withn Indy's wife and kids. Indy realizes these nazis have located where the Garden of Eden is located, and there is a race to get there first to find the Tree of Life. Of course Indy runs into a talking serpent who intends on perpetuating the nazi cause for eternity! Indy enlists the help of several old friends along the way, and also encounters a yet to be famous Elvis. This episode will enable a segwaying into future Indy movies by aging Indy. Dad (Connery) dies at movies' end, declining to eat from the tree, instead opting for the great adventure of the afterlife.
Not so different than Henry's stairway to heaven option in earlier drafts of Crusade. Lacking Connery's involvement however, how else could it end? From October 29 1999:
Spielberg said Indy-4 would have another biblical theme to it. He then went on to say that the "powers that be" thought a story about the Garden of Eden would be a good plot. So far, a script is in the process of being finished up, but a long treatment does exist. It is about Indy and his quest for the Cherubim's Flaming Sword that protects the garden. Apparently, from what my source tells me, early last year the big guys (Lucas and Spielberg) were in a teleconference and were discussing Indy IV. They were talking about the previous films and the point was brought up that Indy wouldn't be alive today because of his age. The thought struck them as depressing, because it's hard to imagine Indiana Jones as being an old guy. Then my source proceeded to tell me that Indy would be killed in the next film trying to save the world because it will be the last Indy film ever. They want him to go out with a bang.

PaleFoxoftheBalkanBazaars

The idea of the flaming sword of the Cherubim is outstanding! The Garden of Eden itself is a bit too broad in scope as an "artifact". The idea of the sword adds a tangible artifact to the broader concept. Would have loved to see it!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats again, for taking the most votes for Pooler city council, 2,046. Even more than mayor, 1,932...