Dark Horse art quality

Avilos

This is common for many comic books adapted from TV shows and movies. They have photo realistic artwork for the covers, accurate to what was on screen. But with interior art that is much looser and stylized.

Part of this is marketing. They are trying to sell the books to the fans of the original source. Also it is VERY, VERY, hard to maintain that detail and accurate facial likeness over the many drawings needed to tell a story. But easy in a single image.

Still though for all the reasons I think this approach is a mistake. Because it just creates a false impression of the content of these books and alienates the audience they are trying to attract in the first place.

HovitosKing

Avilos said:
Still though for all the reasons I think this approach is a mistake. Because it just creates a false impression of the content of these books and alienates the audience they are trying to attract in the first place.

I think you guys are over-analyzing this...I love the DH covers for their realism but understand that you can't realistically spend that much time on every page of the book itself. In fact, most people understand this. It doesn't set me up for disappointment, and I've never sought psychiatric therapy because of it. Case closed.

HovitosKing said:
I think you guys are over-analyzing this...I love the DH covers for their realism but understand that you can't realistically spend that much time on every page of the book itself. In fact, most people understand this. It doesn't set me up for disappointment, and I've never sought psychiatric therapy because of it. Case closed.

Yes... but take Iron Phoenix for example. I can understand that every panel can't be a Van Gogh... but the inside artwork of Iron Phoenix is inexcusable. Ugly, sloppy and bearing no resemblance at all to anything in the Indiana Jones universe. Hell, the original Marvel run had better interior art than the Dark Horse comics... and that's really saying something.

Indy's Fist

I still think the interior art could have been better overall. In some cases I have a hard time telling who is who. I did however enjoy the stories that DH offered. They seemed to stay true to the characters.

Indy's Fist

I collect Batman comics and the art in those,for the most part, is awsome! i think if enough time is devoted to something then it can be great.

yodazone

Luke Ross illustrating the next Indy 4 adaptation is a step in the right direction for the Dark Horse Indy books. He did a great job in the early issues of the Jonah Hex run for DC comics

Hopefully Dark horse will get more great artists for the rest of the upcoming Indy comic line. I think the lack of good interior artists back in the '90s didn't help the comic line survive back then. But the painted covers of those issues were worth the price alone.

They need to get Garth Ennis to write an Indy tale!!! With Glenn Fabry painted covers!!

Who do you want to see write and draw for the upcoming Indy line???

yodazone

this was posted on the Dark Horse Comics myspace page and I thought these indy comic covers look awesome when put together.....

indycomics.jpg

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=77284510

metalinvader

Damn,Those covers look good together but where is Thunder in the orient?

It would be nice to see one done for the Marvel covers.

Canyon

I'm lucky enough to own all of the Indy dark horse comics - apologies for the blurry picture. :eek:

Indy%20Dark%20horse%20Comics.jpg

deckard24

ReggieSnake said:
I'm kinda new to Indy comics; do you know if the omnibus series will include all of the dark horse comics?:confused:
Good question! I was wondering the same. The only Indy comics I have are a handful of the original Marvel 1980's Further Adventures of Indiana Jones . Are the Dark Horse stories and art good?

deckard24 said:
Good question! I was wondering the same. The only Indy comics I have are a handful of the original Marvel 1980's Further Adventures of Indiana Jones . Are the Dark Horse stories and art good?

The stories and art are pretty awful mostly. But the covers are gorgeous... Worth collecting at least for that.

yodazone

deckard24 said:

I liked the first mini series, "Fate of Atlantis" the best. But as anybody can see, the painted covers are worth the cover price alone.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

deckard24

That's too bad to hear guys, because the old 80's FAOIJ comics weren't too terrible where their art or stories were concerned. The DH covers are really nice though!