INDY 4 in Real D 3-D

Indy4fan

With the new 2-D to 3-D conversion technology (Real D), many studios have decided to release their films in both formats. Beowulf will be released in standard 35mm, Real D, and IMAX 3-D. Do u think Indy 4 should do the same?;)

P.S. If Indy cracks his whip in 3-D, :whip: it'll be the greatest film ever made. Lucas said he plans to release the Star Wars Saga in 3-D once he's done with the TV series.

Professor Jones

I don't like computer graphic so much. Indy trilogy is famous to be built up mainly on traditional special effects.

I could easily accept and understand the use of computer in the new Indy movie, but I cannot tolerate to build up a new 3d animated serie/movie without the REAL Harrison Ford and without real actors.

Katarn07

Major West said:
I thought 3D went out in the 80s because it was an annoying crappy gimmick?

Gimmicky was the exact word I was gonna use. I don't care if they redo these things later like they are Star Wars, but don't go and ruin them by making it with 3D in mind. I feel that stuff pulls me out of the movie, not make me a part of it.

On a sidenote, I do plan on seeing all 6 SW films in 3D. Seriously, even if they are the modified DVD versions (or a newer cut George has been working on :rolleyes: ), how often do you get to see those films on the big screen? I have yet to see ESB or RotJ on the big screen. The cheap theater messed up the schedule for the SEs and I missed them :( And seeing TPM again on the big screen is gonna be very nostalgic for me. Love it or hate it (or in my case, tolerate it), you gotta admit how exciting that opening crawl and ship docking were.

DarthLowBudget

You thought wrong. It's coming back in a big way because we finally have affordable technology which allows us to do 3d properly. 3d opens new doors for scene composition, really making depth an issue in the frame.

The problem with Indy is that, as far as I can recall, the process for turning films shot in 2d into 3d is extremely complicated and expensive. Though I will admit, it would be worth it to see the Raiders truck chase, and the opening of the ark in 3d. Imagine Belloq's head chunks flying right at you out of the screen!

And to the above poster who seems confused about this topic, we are not talking about 3d animation, but rather the kind of 3d you wear glasses for.

Indy4fan

No not PIXAR/3-D, I mean live action 3-D, like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix/Transformer being released in 3-D.
Professor Jones said:
I don't like computer graphic so much. Indy trilogy is famous to be built up mainly on traditional special effects.

I could easily accept and understand the use of computer in the new Indy movie, but I cannot tolerate to build up a new 3d animated serie/movie without the REAL Harrison Ford and without real actors.

NoCamels

I've never seen a movie in Real D or Imax 3-D, so I can't really compare, but as a (very) amateur stereo photographer (aka 3-D photos) I can say that every 2-D picture converted to 3-D by computer that I've seen just doesn't look right. The 3-D effect comes from having 2 images from slightly different angles, which your brain fuses together. A flat picture can't give you that information. Now, if that computer program can convincingly replace that missing information, that would be a cool effect.

Now, if they started filming movies for 3-D, that would be something. Good stereo photos have a completely different compostition than regular photography. You want to maximize the depth and perspectives. Think instead of this, flat: :whip: :eek: that the eek face is large and close to you, and the one with the whip is farther back, with the whip coming at you. It opens up many new possibilities in filming. But if over-played for effect, it could detract from the film, like Katarn07 said.

(even if it looked crummy, I'd still go see a 3-D Indy movie, though.)

yodazone

I saw Star Wars: Attack of the Clones on IMAX and it was pretty amazing. The quality is crystal clear and has more definition than Hi Def tv. Plus the IMAX screens are 8 stories high!

Indy 4 would look awesome in IMAX especially with the John Williams score and Spileberg's action sequences...

:whip: :whip: :whip:

Gustav

I don't get the appeal of 3D. In fact I think it makes films seem cheaper, more shallow. It's like fireworks, entertainment for zombies.

I saw Dial M for Murder in 3D recently. It IS gimmicky. But it's also a lot of fun... it's not the real reason to go see a movie, but it's certainly fine sensationalism. And sometimes we all could use a little gimmicky fun.

That's not to say I'd consider it right for an Indiana Jones film... but... eh... I dunno, it could work.

commontone

The Real D process basically makes a film *as if* it were filmed stereoscopically. It alternates the "left" and "right" eye views at ultra high speed through a single projector, rather than using dual projectors like normal 3D. The glasses are tuned so that the right eye can only see the right projection, and vice versa.

My point is, it's a little different from standard 3D, and some say it works better. How the system generates the left and right images from a single frame, I'm not sure, but I'm sure the available methods for doing that today are much better than even 5 years ago.

I saw "Galapagos" in IMAX 3D, and it was pretty cool. To see a Gila Monster that is seemingly four feet in front of you, suddenly spring toward you...it was really frightening, in a good way.

DarthLowBudget

It doesn't automatically generate left and right frames, that has to be done painstakingly in a computer, utilizing computer techniques. It's a long expensive process. There is nothing special about Real D aside from the fact that it uses a single digital projector, and has lenses which allow you to tilt your head without losing the the 3d effect. Real D has pretty much nothing to do with converting 2d to 3d. It's just another, albeit superior, format.

Indy4fan

Real D is not commercial 3-D, meaning it does not create fuzziness or blur. That's why many are using it. Like Tim Burton's Nightmare b4 X-mas in 3-D.

Professor Jones

Indy4fan said:
No not PIXAR/3-D, I mean live action 3-D, like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix/Transformer being released in 3-D.

Oh I'm sorry, now I get it.. I went to see one documentary in 3D when I was in Mexico, in Monterrey, but alas here where I live (Italy) there are no cinemas for 3-D movies, except one or two in some Theme Park. So I cannot really give a worthy opinion.

I remember it was a good experience for that documentary, set in Alaska, between the ice, with amazing backgrounds and panoramas, but I've never seen a movie.

I think could be nice, anyway.

Indy4fan

Wow does anyone know anything about Real D? With Real D, any theatre can project the image!!!!
QUOTE=Professor Jones]Oh I'm sorry, now I get it.. I went to see one documentary in 3D when I was in Mexico, in Monterrey, but alas here where I live (Italy) there are no cinemas for 3-D movies, except one or two in some Theme Park. So I cannot really give a worthy opinion.

I remember it was a good experience for that documentary, set in Alaska, between the ice, with amazing backgrounds and panoramas, but I've never seen a movie.

I think could be nice, anyway.[/QUOTE]

DarthLowBudget

Technically speaking, only theaters equipped with high end Real D projectors and specialized silver screens. This all costs money, money some theaters don't have, and aren't willing to spend. This economic factor is the main hurdle in getting Real D to be as prevalent in American movie going as some are predicting it will be.

seasider

I have my doubts that we'll see Crystal Skulls in any type of 3-D. I do have hopes that they'll show it in IMAX.