General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Dr Bones

I think Indy 5 will be HF's last outing as Indy. Hope it's a great last hoorah.

I would think GL & SS will probably call it a day too, leaving Indy in the hands of an entirely new reboot from cast, directors, top to bottom, for better or for worse.

That's just my 2c.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
I have no faith in the veracity of this source, although unlike seems to be the consensus here I'd be gung-ho about an oceanic Indy adventure. How many deserts and South American jungles are there left to see him explore on the silver screen?

Honestly the most exciting thing about the possibility of this being real is the one last round of wonderful speculation and anticipation us fans will be able to engage in up until the release date.

For what it's worth... I agree. At least a story involving oceanic environments lends itself to something tangibly different... be that desert islands or fights on top/underneath the water.

seasider said:
The Bermuda Triangle idea does sort of fit into the Sci-Fi realm that Lucas has been Indiana Jones in and it fits in the 1960's or late 50's era. The question then is what is the Macguffin he's looking for that would lead him there?

If it's the Bermuda Triangle, I'd bet my house that it's Atlantis (even if it's only referenced like Eldorado was in KOTCS).

James

It wouldn't surprise me if Lucas wanted to base the film around the Bermuda Triangle. It certainly feels like something which would have intrigued him back in the early 70s- a time when quite a few books were being written about things like the Triangle, Chariots of the Gods, and Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain.

I do like the idea of an Indy film being centered around the sky and sea- as opposed to more jungle ruins and deserts. Much like the Area 51 portion of KOTCS, this would certainly add a new dimension to the franchise. (It would also further diminish the case that Indiana Jones can never stray too far from what happened in ROTLA.)

The whole idea is just "out of left field" enough to be true. Fans initially thought Monkey King and Saucer Men were bogus, and would've surely complained about the Holy Grail being "done to death" had they been online back in the late 80s. We should also remember how much of KOTCS' plot was available- in various pieces- long before its release date.

The rumor that Indy 5 begins shooting next year does corroborate what Karen Allen wrote someone a few months ago. (I believe the fan had been trying to invite her to attend some kind of convention in May 2011.)

Darth Vile said:
If it's the Bermuda Triangle, I'd bet my house that it's Atlantis (even if it's only referenced like Eldorado was in KOTCS).

...or perhaps "the Arthur legend" in LC.

The great irony about Indiana Jones is that he never really goes into that much detail about the MacGuffin. This is one area where all the various books, videogames, fan fiction, etc., tend to go overboard. Fans always get excited and want to include as much history and mythology as possible, even though it actually comprises a relatively minor part of an Indy film.

Last edited:

welshslider

perhaps Spielberg has come full circle and will tie in Indiana Jones and Close Encounters. Missing planes? Aliens? ;) hmmmm I don't know I'm making this up as I go along.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
It is truly amazing and gratifying how the "news" of an Indy 5 sets the web on fire . . . you can't say that this franchise died a painful death with KOTCS, it's still got some life in it! Indyfans rejoice!

If they do like they did last time, the cast and crew would be busy filming late next spring into the summer just like they did back on June 18, 2007 when filming began on Skull. The release would be the following year May 2012.

With regards to the storyline . . . well, that is a total unknown and as mysterious as Indy's onscreen quests. So don't get to crazy about the Devil's Triangle idea. . . might be a smokescreen . . . just be rest assured that Indy will have one more go for fortune and glory on the big screen!

Last edited:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
James said:
The rumor that Indy 5 begins shooting next year does corroborate what Karen Allen wrote someone a few months ago. (I believe the fan had been trying to invite her to attend some kind of convention in May 2011.)

It was June, 2011 in New Haven for ComiCONN . . . Trust me!

Mungi

Mitchellhallock said:
. . . just be rest assured that Indy will have one more go for fortune and glory on the big screen!

Really? Without knowing if this "news" isn't just a bad joke?

kevster

Mitchellhallock said:
It is truly amazing and gratifying how the "news" of an Indy 5 sets the web on fire . . . you can't say that this franchise died a painful death with KOTCS, it's still got some life in it! Indyfans rejoice!

If they do like they did last time, the cast and crew would be busy filming late next spring into the summer just like they did back on June 18, 2007 when filming began on Skull. The release would be the following year May 2012.

With regards to the storyline . . . well, that is a total unknown and as mysterious as Indy's onscreen quests. So don't get to crazy about the Devil's Triangle idea. . . might be a smokescreen . . . just be rest assured that Indy will have one more go for fortune and glory on the big screen!

So you're telling us it's really gonna happen!?? Cause a few pages back you told us "The fate of Indy 5 filming will remain a mystery until Jan 2011" I have the feeling you know a little bit more then us :p wish you could share some more details with us..

Indy's brother

Let's assume for a moment that this is real and have some fun with it. Pre KOTCS, GL described it as a "character piece", which one of the mods here wisely commented "that probably means it will have a lot of characters". If Indy 5 is going for "emotional", that will probably mean the death of a character or two. How's this for an idea:

Natalie Portman, for those of you that remember the rumors of her playing Indy's daughter last time out, as Mutt's russian girlfriend. Mutt gets embroiled in something because of her, and Indy comes to bail them out. Mutt gets killed, giving Indy a revenge angle. He is left to defend Portman's character throughout, and towards the end it comes to light that she is pregnant with Henry Jones the 4th. Because of his absence in Mutt's life, and because he's an all around great guy, he ends up martyring himself to save Portman and his unborn grandchild. The end.

Cole

The whole "Indy 5 Bermuda triangle" rumor is starting to catch fire......many outlets, including MTV are starting to report it.

The source of the rumor - from a New Zealand outlet called 'Stuff' is actually pretty reputable and has won many awards.

So, ya, take it with a grain of salt........but it's not COMPLETELY bogus. We already heard LaBouef say how they cracked the story, and Ford said they had a germ of an idea agreed upon.

James

Cole said:
So, ya, take it with a grain of salt........but it's not COMPLETELY bogus.

There's also the fact that we're posting in a thread devoted to...Indy 5. So I'm not sure how much we can really hedge our bets here and pretend to not be gullible about this sort of thing. I mean, you either believe the film is going to happen or you're just wasting your time. :D

It was understandable to be cynical about Indy 4 when it actually began to get underway in 2006. In that case, the reports were following more than a decade of false starts and empty promises.

By comparison, there's been far more activity on the Indy 5 front than there ever was back in the early 90s. The rumored schedule also puts it on track for a reasonable turnaround from 2008. After all, the next Batman film hasn't even made it much further than the initial planning stage.

michael

I'm picturing Lucas finishing a play through of Fate of Atlantis and saying "Jeez, this would make a for one hell of a movie!"

I kid, George.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Preproduction in January 2011. Production in June ( right around the 30th anniversary date of the Raiders 1981 release) thru August. Release in May 2012.

The whole "fate" of Indy 5 was and is if the script can be finalized to meet those dates. As far as the Bermuda Triangle angle..... Well, like I said is "out there". Regardless it will be the last, live action big screen Indy movie.

Remember ComicCon San Diego is in July and CV in August. So there will be a lot of Lucas news and he will be at CV.

Just sit tight. I know the anticipation is driving you all crazy. But good things and hopefully good scripts come to those who wait. Just ask the Grail Knight how long he waited:)

seasider

Exulted Unicron said:
Dunno if you guys knew this, but apparently, on Musicrooms.net, it reports that Indy 5 will be the last one.

http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/8610-Harrison-Fords-Final-Outing-Indiana-Jones-Will-Emotional.html

I don't know how true this is

I think that's a given even if it's unconfirmed. Ford will be 70 in a couple of years and is already in the Sean Connery phase of his career. Unless they do back to back Indys, this will be his last ride with the fedora.

Mungi

Mitchellhallock said:
Preproduction in January 2011. Production in June ( right around the 30th anniversary date of the Raiders 1981 release) thru August. Release in May 2012.

The whole "fate" of Indy 5 was and is if the script can be finalized to meet those dates. As far as the Bermuda Triangle angle..... Well, like I said is "out there". Regardless it will be the last, live action big screen Indy movie.

So this isn't just speculation? You know something?

To say it in Spalko's words: "I want to know EVERYTHING":p

Hanselation

Harrison is a head of Conservation International.
Have a look at the vice chairs:
http://www.conservation.org/discover/team/bod/pages/default.aspx

Harrison has designed a watch together with "Hamilton" and it's motto is:
»It’s time to DO«
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/contents/events/2010/harrison-ford/

- Harrison, do Indy 5 - It's time to DO!

Tell us, that the making of the movie is ongoing, don't tell us anything about the story, but let us frequently know, that there is really a progress with Indy 5 :D