National Treasure

Ska

My fiancee and I rented some chick-flick (which I literally fell asleep watching), and before the movie was a trailer for NT. I got so excited when it came on. I was like, "This has to be for National Treasure!"

...and it was. Can't wait to see this movie. It looks great!

EDIT:
http://nationaltreasure.movies.go.com/splash.html

Raffey

Ska, was it 'Raising Helen'?

My gf made me sit through it last night. That's where I happen to see the trailer to National Treasure.

I remember thinking to myself, "if this trailer is in here then this chick flick may not be all that bad."

I was SOOOO wrong. LOL! And, I wanted to rent The Day After Tomorrow. Grrrr....

Ska

:D

Yeah that was the name of it! I couldn't think of it when I was posting. I thought the same thing. How could a horrible movie have such a great trailer? But it was true...

My condolences go out to you for actually staying awake during the movie.

The Day After Tomorrow isn't all that great either, but it has to be miles better than Raising Helen.

Ska

I've been seening tv commercials for the movie over the past few days. Looks great!

My parents, knowing how much of an adventure movie freak (yes, I'll admit it) I am made it a point to tell me about the movie. Even though I already knew about it, it was cool that they even bothered to bring it up in conversation. My mom (who has never seen any of the Indy trilogy movies...snakes...she would had never made it past the snakes...she's terified of them) actually said that the movie looked interesting! Now if I can only get her to watch Indy...

Ska

Yesterday, I dl'ed the National Treasure game for my cell phone. You can play 3 levels. Here is the description before each level. The descriptions inside the brackets are my added comments:

1. The Charlotte
An artifact is hidden in one of the barrels. Find it, then escape the burning shipwreck before it explodes in fifteen minutes. [This level has you running around a ship, jumping over fire, and escaping exploding barrels. The artifact you find says that there is a map on the back of the Declaration of Independence.]

2. National Archives
Find the Declaration of Independence in the basement. Overcome all resistance and exit the Archives with the Declaration. [This level has you sneaking around the Archives with only a stun gun to fight the guards. You can also turn off lights to hide in the shadows and can crawl through air ducts. The map on the Declaration leads you to catacombs under some church.]

3. The Catacombs
Collect the three handcranks you will need to gain access to the treasure chamber, then find the chamber door. [The final level has you making your way through closed gates in the catacombs. You must hit the right switches to open the gates, all the while jumping over spikes and rats. Once you find the chamber, a nice (sarcastic) picture of a treasure chest with gold and jewels is your prize for finishing the game.]

I don't know if the levels are a hint of the settings in the movie, but I figured I'd share none-the-less. And if you're thinking about dl'ing this game, think twice. It took me a total of 30 minutes to beat it. Not worth the money to dl it, imo

Last edited:

Original Raider

Im sorry for yelling, Im just sick of seeing these movies about treasure and lost artifacts, bad guys, car chases, plots to take over the world, religious overtones, wihtout a guy in a hat, whip and leather jacket. Stop teasing us Hollywood, give us Indy!

Ska

What kind of format is it in? I tried playing it, but I only got a little dashed box in the upper left corner of the screen.

Pale Horse

Staff member
This film was inspirational to me, as I am (as many among us know) a decendant of Samuel P. Huntington, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Then I realized that our current dollar, the one used in the film to navigate clues to the treasure, was printed in 1957. TWO HUNDRED years after the founding fathers.

In fact, most of the symbols discussed, like the unfinished pyramid and the all seeing eye don't even exist on our currency until 1935. Don't believe me, check it out here Currency Gallery.

Looks like the Free Masons are up to their old tricks again.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
However, the use of the unfinished pyramid/all-seeing eye as an US symbol can be traced further back.

Raffey

Aaron's right that symbol (an variations of it) has been used long before it was first printed on the dollar bill.

Still it is rather curious that image is on the dollar bill...especially when another saying is on there as well, ""In God, We Trust."

I haven't never seen a cross printed on our currency yet this is....

Ska

Just a heads up...

National Treasure is officially in theaters across America today. NOW GO SEE IT!

Joe Brody

I'm going tomorrow night. Sadly, it's not getting the best reviews and it's not playing on a blockbuster-level number of screens -- which I take as confirmation from theatre owners who have screened the film that it's not that great.

Ska

My girl and I are going tonight for a 10pm showing. I can't wait! All of these adventure movies, except IJ, get horrible reviews from the critics. But I ALWAYS love them (ie. Tomb Raider, the Mummy, Hildalgo, etc.).

Ska

Warning: Minor Spoilers below...

Well, I won't go into details about the plot, but here's my little review of National Treasure. First off, I wouldn't call this an Indy rip-off. Where Indiana Jones is an adventure movie w/ action and stunts, National Treasure is an action movie w/ stunts and adventure. Clocking in at 125 minutes, the movie allows for a blend of a lot of genres. The majority of the movie will appeal to fans of espionage and cat-and-mouse chases. Fans of James Bond, Tom Clancy, etc. will love watching Ben (lead character played by Nicholas Cage) and the team infiltrate the National Archives to steal the Declaration of Independence. If stealth isn't your thing, the beginning of the movie on the Charlotte will appeal to Tomb Raider fans. But what I enjoyed the most about the movie was the ending. If the first 100 minutes didn't have enough torch lit "creepy tunnels" and puzzles, then sit back and enjoy the climax. The finale is definitly for Indiana Jones fans.

Now being a Disney film, don't expect any fights with the bad guy getting killed in the propeller of a plane or getting smashed in a rock crusher (you get the idea). Like I said above, do expect a lot of cat-and-mouse chases through various cities. This is definitely a movie with families in mind. It has enough wit and stunts to keep adults' interest, and it has plenty of comical one-liners (courtesy of Riley, the little annoying side kick that most adventure movies seem to have) to get the little ones' attentions.

Summary:
The Good - The blend of genres will appeal to a large fan base. The story line is good enough to make watchers think, could there really be a treasure out there somewhere that our founding fathers left clues for us to find?

The Bad - It would have been nice to see this movie not so family oriented. The comical lines were, at times, unneeded and took away from the serious parts of the film.

Indy Factor - Watching the group, torches in hand, creep through dark tunnels for the treasure will more than appeal to all the Raiders around the world. Plus the relationship that Ben has with his father is definitely reminiscent of the Jones Boys in Last Crusade.

Rating (Out of 5):
:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Last edited:

intergamer

The movie sounds like The Da Vinci Code (which is already dumbed down), dumbed down another 3000 times. Most critical review agree with me here, I think.
It probably is still good for 2 hours of fun though, you might get what you paid for. But count on the plot being inane and inaccurate.