The Frank Darabont Script

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
It's just Aaron - aren't you used to his cryptic posts yet?
Not so cryptic here. See post #17.

Darabont says getting rejected by Lucas was "a real kick to the nuts." (That's a brand new interview from Nov. 6 2006, by the way.) Maybe he's here at the Raven too, commiserating. Or sitting outside on a snowbank.

San Holo

ninepinejones said:
;)

I think Indy and spacemen is a wonderful concept, and that it could work very well, especailly because famous archeological sites around the globe seem to have an eerie twinge of something influencing the ancient creators from beyond the planet, or from the sky above, and it is common in the ufo scene to hear that most ufo sightings happen around ancient structures. Although I do agree that speilberg has done alot with the Ufo idea and maybe it would be too much overkill in that genre but If Franks script was about that subject I would absolutely love to get my hands on it, especially cause I am a huge fan of both Indy and Ufo's. I wonder if George ever sneeks into the Raven bar late at night and reads these obsessive chatterings?
I like Indy, and I like UFO stories, but just not together. It seems too SciFi to mix the two. Check out Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars story, and you will see what I mean- It just doesn't feel like Indiana Jones...plusthe ending is lame. I would also love to read Darabont's script.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Saucermen for me sucked for this reason. Marion was very brief in it. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS:

"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"

shenshaw

San Holo said:
I like Indy, and I like UFO stories, but just not together. It seems too SciFi to mix the two. Check out Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars story, and you will see what I mean- It just doesn't feel like Indiana Jones...plusthe ending is lame. I would also love to read Darabont's script.

Great point! Couldn't have worded it better myself.

HovitosKing

shenshaw said:
In any case, I know I'm not alone when I say it would be awesome to read Darabont's screenplay. Even if they called it quits on the movie, I would "be ok" if somehow that work was published, circulated, whatever...

Being the rational skeptic, I only believe what I see. Until I see Indy IV trailers rolling around on the tube, I consider it a pipe dream. That having been said, I feel that the problem is not with Frank's script (which is probably excellent), but with the production itself. I don't think that the "dream team" can step up and do the script justice (maybe once upon a time, but not any longer), and I think they know it. I think ultimately the script will be leaked around the internet in various revised forms once the project gets the final "no go," but none of them will be as great as the original would have been with the right push. It's just too bad that a script rumored to be as good as Frank Darabont's will ultimately be reduced to internet drivel. At least go back and get it into novel form and give us one last Indy book, Frank!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
HovitosKing said:
I don't think that the "dream team" can step up and do the script justice
Interesting approach, I don't think we've tried taunting them. ;)

JediIndy

DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!

I said it before and I say it again. Do the damn Atlantis story!!!
ARrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

(aims a high powered sniper rife at George Lucas's head) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

shenshaw

JediIndy said:

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

(aims a high powered sniper rife at George Lucas's head) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not cool, bro...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
JediIndy said:

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

Someone hose this guy off....

Oh wait "top men" are working on that and more as we speak.

Grizzlor

I'm really amazed at how candid Darabount has been about this. He has, since the moment his script was summarily dismissed, been furious with Lucas. And with good reason. Lucas probably KO'ed the movie for good, for what reason?

shenshaw

Grizzlor said:
I'm really amazed at how candid Darabount has been about this. He has, since the moment his script was summarily dismissed, been furious with Lucas. And with good reason. Lucas probably KO'ed the movie for good, for what reason?

I am likewise amazed, and I appreciate his candidness. Darabont is not a guy who needs to play everything correctly in order to make a living. He's an accomplished guy and can "call things as they are" without jeopardizing his next job. More power to him for being honest.

On the flipside, I know the arrows will come shooting at me for this, but oh well. I trust George Lucas' creative judgement completely. I trust Spielberg's creative judgement completely. Why? Because if it weren't for those two gentlemen, film would still be in the stone age. I'm exaggerating a tad, since there have been other quite talented directors, etc... But these two men have demostrated over and over that they can put out remarkably entertaining stuff (and spare me the Star Wars 1,2,3 comments!), and have pushed the film industry to remarkable heights (count how many movie credits don't contain the name "lucas" in some fashion or another referring to George Lucas. It's amazing).

I would loved to have seen the movie based on Darabont's draft, but you know what, I'm sure I'm going to be quite pleased with the way Indy 4 turns out just the same. I trust them. Indy 4 was not KO'ed for good!

I appreciate your opinions Grizzlor! :whip:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Grizzlor said:

I can think of a few, but what if a cliff hanger was no longer a cliff hanger? Indy could have sworn off archeology in favor of....the pastorate.

indyt

Pale Horse said:
I can think of a few, but what if a cliff hanger was no longer a cliff hanger? Indy could have sworn off archeology in favor of....the pastorate.

That would be cool. His adventures now are mission trips around the world where he would go against the supernatural (demonic influences) and battle the forces of darkness while spreading the gospel. I know most would not like that, but it sure would be cool to me.

Eric Solo

Darabont

All I know is, based on Darabont's other work (I'm thinking particularly of The Green Mile adaptation) This Indy script was probably quite awesome and I'm so frustrated we won't get to see it.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
someone on the chud boards also explained the tragic of the whole darabont - lucas stand off by remarking on those two's past: that george was sort of darabont's mentor.
Aaand of course we all know that they worked together on the Young Indy stuff.
I like the thought, because it adds some perspective...and complexity...to the situation Darabont finds himself in now.