TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Moedred
Administrator

Anything after 1962 is too late. It's no accident American Graffiti and Animal House were set then. I'm not sure what state Faber College was supposed to be in (Tennessee?) but some slight reference like a football banner ("Beat Mongols") would fit in an Indy 5.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #27
Moedred
Administrator

If Indy 4 is set in 1957, and the college in Animal House was intended to be in Pennsylvania... Faber could serve as a visiting sports team. Plus Belushi's character would have been a sophomore or freshman then...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #28
deckard24
IndyFan

IJ4 will have to be set in at least the mid to late 50's to accomodate Ford's age. Any earlier like late 40's or early 50's will not be possible without a lot of makeup and possible cgi enhancement of Ford's features(which I don't see Spielberg touching with a ten foot pole, Lucas maybe on his own).
If they did early 60's Ford's appearance would be right at home. The fedora would still be in style, but closing in on it's way out of mainstream popularity after Kennedy's death. I suppose Ford could pull off late 50's, but any younger I can't see. In any recent pic of him he's yet to be seen with dyed hair, which makes me wonder if they are really playing up his age in this one.There's also no evidence of a full Fugitve beard, which is kind of disappointing because I wanted to see a grizzled Indy. The beard would be so perfect on him as the ageing professor.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #29
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
If Indy 4 is set in 1957, and the college in Animal House was intended to be in Pennsylvania... Faber could serve as a visiting sports team. Plus Belushi's character would have been a sophomore or freshman then...

What a guess for the year, Moedred! How did you figure that? Unfortunately, not in Pennsylvania....
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 AM   #30
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
There's also no evidence of a full Fugitve beard, which is kind of disappointing because I wanted to see a grizzled Indy. The beard would be so perfect on him as the ageing professor.
I think the main reason for this is that it could be taken in the wrong way, ie. it's there simply to hide Ford's age.

Perhaps 15 years ago, but nowadays they can use computers for that.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #31
deckard24
IndyFan

Finn, that's true they probably don't want to age him anymore than he already is. But, I still think it would be cool if he had it in the beginning of the movie and then shaved it off. I just keep picturing Tommy Lee Jones look in The Hunted, and think it would fit Indy well. Yeah, the clean cut look(w/occasional stubble) is necessary for the movie as a whole.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Great minds think alike, deckard24!

Shaving off a beard would be a nice touch since it would connect with
Indy's 1950 look in "Mystery of the Blues".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #33
Raiders112390
IndyFan

So what would you guys think of an Indy movie set anywhere between 1960 and 1964?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #34
Professor Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
No way man. A 62 year old adventurer is very realistic. I consider missionaries adventurers and I know many over 65 and 70. These guys are on boats, hike through the jungles and island hop to get where they need to go. I believe it is all in the heart, not the legs, arms, etc.

I agree... I work in a big law-firm: my boss is 75 and before being a lawyer he's a hunter, one of the world greatest. He still travels all over the world, in the most dangerous places (even alone, just accompained by local guides) chasing dangerous beasts and living in tents, camping in the woods at the worst condition (for instance in Chukotka). It's not the years......
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #35
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
So what would you guys think of an Indy movie set anywhere between 1960 and 1964?
1962. Mutt pulls up to a red light, looks to his right, sees Bob Falfa behind the wheel and says, "Dad?!?"
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #36
Moedred
Administrator

It would be easier to send Curt Henderson to Marshall College in the Fall of '62...
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #37
Moedred
Administrator

Here's reason enough for Indy to bust some heads in 1968, from the Weekly Standard:
Quote:
From Columbia, certain images remain indelible: a photograph of a student sitting at the desk of President Grayson Kirk, smoking one of the president’s cigars; the smoldering, ransacked office of history Professor Orest Ranum, whose files had been raided and methodically burned, destroying 10 years of research for a textbook about early modern European history.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #38
Lego Indy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
1962. Mutt pulls up to a red light, looks to his right, sees Bob Falfa behind the wheel and says, "Dad?!?"

I love it.
Lego Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #39
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Should Indy cross into the '60s?

If there is say an Indy 5, or even an Indy 6, how would you feel about the adventures being set in the 1960s? I was thinking the latest an Indy adventure could conceivably be set and not seem outdated would be 1963--as for some pop culture/sociology people, 1963--late 1963--marks the end of the Golden Era (particularly the end of the ''50s'') and the beginning of the '60s.

Whereas in early 1963 you still had Kennedy, hats were still around, Doo Wop was huge, by the end of 1963 you had LBJ as President, the Beatles released their first American album, Vietnam began to be escalated and thus the 60s truly began. I think Indy could go up to 1963, but not after--the ''60s'' (as in the Hippie 60s, not the classy James Bond early 60s) are past the era of men like Indy, where he would be a sort of anachronism, outmoded by other sorts of heroes.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #40
Indy's brother
IndyFan

The way you frame it is exactly the way I have envisioned it!
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #41
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
If there is say an Indy 5, or even an Indy 6, how would you feel about the adventures being set in the 1960s?

I wouldn't go see it. The day Sputnik went up is the day the curtain closed on the world Indy inhabited. The post-colonial fallout in Africa & Asia can be a fertile ground for that type of two-fisted archeology, but it requires a different type of character.

And what the hell does Doo Wop have to do with anything?
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #42
Indy's brother
IndyFan

If I may say so, I think what Raiders 112390 was alluding to with the doo-wop comment was that it's still pre-Jimi Hendrix, which would still place Indy in a time where his appearance wouldn't clash with the world around him. I think Indy could stick around into the 60's, but only up to the point when the hippy counter-culture begins. At that point, his attire and approach would be too out of place, and it would be all too obvious to ignore that he is a relic of his time.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #43
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I wouldn't go see it. The day Sputnik went up is the day the curtain closed on the world Indy inhabited.

With reference to the Cold War, the curtain fell in 1945 (but Churchill had seen it coming before that).

With reference to space technology, Indy saw dead 'aliens' in 1947 and one of their space craft in 1957. I don't think it would come as a suprise to him to see man getting a satellite into space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
The post-colonial fallout in Africa & Asia can be a fertile ground for that type of two-fisted archeology, but it requires a different type of character.

Indy is an adaptable character, after all, he does make things up as he goes along.

All that being said, I do understand the reluctance to see Indy in more and more modern settings. The orignal charm of the first three movies was their 1930s period. In order to get a fourth movie we had to adjust our viewpoint to see a version of the 1950s.

In the 1930s we can believe that the world still held mysterious places. By the 1950s, with improved travel the world is shrinking. By the 1960s the world is smaller, but I'm sure there's still still enough room for Indy, as long as the story is good enough.

Being eccentric would probably come naturally to the aging Indy, so the looks people give his attire wouldn't bother him. In fact, in the 1960s there was quite a variety of odd looks, and older men generally hang onto the look that they've found comfortable for so long.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #44
foreignerfred
IndyFan

"Should Indy Cross into the `60's?"

No.
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #45
monkey

The simple answer to this question is: NO.

Indiana Jones should NEVER be in the Sixties. It is not his element..........it is not his time.

To put Jones into the Sixties would be an almost 'Twilight Zone' kind of thing.

That said. If he is FORCED into the Sixties (by Indiana Jones fans who don't know enough for their own good), then there would be a number of plot lines that could be pursued.

I would maybe (not sure) like to have a gun pointed at my head and be forced to write an "Indiana Jones in the Sixties" story.

I wouldn't otherwise write it.

But if someone were so kind as to point a (preferably .455 Webley) handgun at my temple and force me to write it.......I think there could be some good 'Indy in the Sixties' story lines.

Personally I would make Jones a radical Professor at a radical university.

The culmination of his life experiences, combined with his view of History has combined to make him rather cynical and 'radical'. He will be very misunderstood, .............and not just from a a fashion perspective.

The world of the Sixties will make him angry and confused.

He will long for the simplicity of the 1930's..........and like all of us........will wonder why he is not back there.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #46
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Indiana Jones should NEVER be in the Sixties. It is not his element..........it is not his time.

The '60s is no country for old men!

Quote:
That said. If he is FORCED into the Sixties (by Indiana Jones fans who don't know enough for their own good), then there would be a number of plot lines that could be pursued.

You're almost wishing he dies before the '60s, monkey?

Quote:
The world of the Sixties will make him angry and confused.

He will long for the simplicity of the 1930's..........and like all of us........will wonder why he is not back there.

I'll agree to that. As I wrote before, the 1950s were a necessary evil, since Indy ages in step with Harrison Ford. It would have to be a very good story to allow us to forget the nostalgia we had for the Indy of the '30s.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #47
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I'll agree to that. As I wrote before, the 1950s were a necessary evil, since Indy ages in step with Harrison Ford. It would have to be a very good story to allow us to forget the nostalgia we had for the Indy of the '30s.

Necessry Evil.....yes.

Indy in the 50's...........strange. Indy in the 60's.........even stranger.

Indy in the 70's...........why not? if we're going to get weird......let's get really weird.

Bottom line Montana, as you know, and as you have indicated: Indiana Jones belongs in the 1930's.

Where the powers that control him will take him.........who knows?

If I controlled him, I would put him back where he belongs.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Necessry Evil.....yes.

Indy in the 50's...........strange. Indy in the 60's.........even stranger.

I can imagine him storming into Woodstock, going up on the stage and asking them to turn the noise down. When they won't listen he'll do it for himself with his trusty revolver!

Quote:
Indy in the 70's...........why not? if we're going to get weird......let's get really weird.

Then he'll have discos to cope with, as well.

Quote:
Bottom line Montana, as you know, and as you have indicated: Indiana Jones belongs in the 1930's.

That's the trouble. It was great to see Indy return as an older character, and to see him we had to see the 1950s as well. If we want to see Harrison as Indy again, it's going to have to be the 1960s. And that really does make me think of Austin Powers, a man out of his time.

Quote:
Where the powers that control him will take him.........who knows?

I have my Mutt-filled fears...

Quote:
If I controlled him, I would put him back where he belongs.

Would you reboot him with a new actor, so that we never have to tackle the issue? Either way might spell the metaphorical death of the character.

I've said in other threads that sometimes the best option is the hardest one - to leave the character whilst he still has a semblance of dignity, and whilst his character is still strong, and associated, as it has been for so long, with Harrison himself. A reboot may dilute the legacy. A Mutt franchise just wouldn't really be Indiana Jones.

It all comes down to story, and that's why it always takes so long to release each Indy movie. It's not just a matter of knocking out another Bond every other year, so it gets to the point where they overlap and merge, reboot and reboot again, and you don't really care about the main character any more.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #49
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Would you reboot him with a new actor, so that we never have to tackle the issue?

Absolutely!! Yes!!

A total Reboot is required.

Canon be damned!

Harrison Ford IS.........retired.

Time to bring the REAL Indiana Jones back to the big screen!!

What is the fear in doing this??
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #50
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Absolutely!! Yes!!

A total Reboot is required.

Canon be damned!

Harrison Ford IS.........retired.

Time to bring the REAL Indiana Jones back to the big screen!!

What is the fear in doing this??

No fear, just nostalgia. I grew up with Harrison as Indy, and I can't imagine the adult character being anybody else. I would love to be proved wrong in my thinking!