TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Mystery Of The Blues

Thought I may aswell bring these threads back...

Two of the best episodes in the series, and one of the best 'two parters' in the shows history.

Great cameos from historical figures, the interplay between Hemmingway, Ness and Indy is quite amusing and fantastic.

The music is wonderful (I was actually learning to play saxophone when I first saw the episode, so it was quite a treat!), the filmic references (De Palmas 'The Untouchables' being an obvious one) are great...

Many of the issues it raises, Racism for example, are rather deftly handled - didacticism and heavy handedness are kept to a minimum.

Great to see Harrison, though the final bookend is alittle bit too clunky (the 'avalanche'? * cringe *).

Your thoughts on this episode, please!

...Is this the only episode that has remained untouched by George since it first aired?

Last edited by Matinee Idyll : 11-01-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Flannery10
IndyFan

Great idea to continue. They made a couple of 2 hour Tv events without Old Indy, so those weren't changed by George Lucas. Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, Phantom Train of Doom and Attack of the Hawkmen are examples of those 2 hour events.

Mystery of the Blues though was split in Europe and aired with George Hall bookends, and those were cut out by Lucas (of course!)
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Dr Jones
IndyFan

'Mystery Of The Blues'

Sorry, another pointless debate from Dr Jones, but I watched 'MOTB' lastnight and boy did THAT episode really link the YIJ with the IJ films!

Seeing Harrison with the hat, jacket and whip!!

Hearing the Radiers March!

Seeing the action!

It felt so good to see another burst of Indy (only 7 years away from KotCS in Canon time of course), it was like a mini-Indiana Jones movie!

It was a fantastic way to keep that reminder that Young Indy IS the timeline and theory of Older Indy.

Plus it was a fantastic episode on it's own, some magical music sets and Sean did some fantastic acting and made me smile as he enjoyed the jazz and blues.

Couple that with a fantastic action set in the warehouse raid with Elliot and Ernie (great character telling Elliot to 'SHUT UP!' in the truck), it was a very welcome and different episode of Young Indy unlike we're used to, so I hope the final two chapters are that good!

(Really, Harrison kicked ass and hearing that Raiders March...GOOSEBUMPS!)

Dr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
TalonCard
IndyFan

If you liked Mystery of the Blues, you'll like the last two installments. It's like a little pop culture trilogy for Indy...

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

And boy does it gives those TRUE fans problems! I bet they nearly fainted the night they saw Harrison Ford refer to Sean Patrick Flanery as his younger self.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
metalinvader
IndyFan

I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.

I've had this wish (Fan boy dream ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
TalonCard
IndyFan

That innuendo-tossing villian was pretty intriguing, wasn't he? The Ultimate Guide would've been a great place to provide some background info on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
And boy does it gives those TRUE fans problems! I bet they nearly fainted the night they saw Harrison Ford refer to Sean Patrick Flanery as his younger self.

If they had a problem with that, why would they be watching the YIJC?

TC
Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonCard
That innuendo-tossing villian was pretty intriguing, wasn't he?

Surely you are not talking about that ''Weenie Roast' comment!
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
If they had a problem with that, why would they be watching the YIJC?

What I mean is, just knowing it's there gives them nightmares.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

He wasn't good in the cameo.

He was too "self-aware". I half expected him to wink or smile at the audience or something. He didn't take it seriously like the films.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Huh. I don't get that feeling at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.

Oh, no. I really hope that's not referring to a goof in the show. I really didn't need to read that if it does...

Last edited by Crack that whip : 05-16-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Stoo
IndyFan

Glad to hear you enjoyed "Blues", Dr Jones.
Quote:
I've had this wish (Fan boy dream ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.
Same here! The credits don't really give any clues as to who they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9sedo
He was too "self-aware". I half expected him to wink or smile at the audience or something. He didn't take it seriously like the films.
Ha ha! He does smile at the audience. Only the last line is chessy. Ford plays the rest of it straight.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Glad to hear you enjoyed "Blues", Dr Jones.
Same here! The credits don't really give any clues as to who they are.
Ha ha! He does smile at the audience. Only the last line is chessy. Ford plays the rest of it straight.

He doesn't. In the car chase he looks like he's enjoying himself.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Enjoying himself?! Horrors!

Actually, to me he looks like he pretty much always looks as Indiana Jones fleeing some adversary. What's the matter with that?
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Enjoying himself?! Horrors!

Actually, to me he looks like he pretty much always looks as Indiana Jones fleeing some adversary. What's the matter with that?

Watch it again! Its on youtube.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
tupogirl
IndyFan

I think this is what really got me into watching the original films. It was a great way for a new fan like myself at the time to fall in love with the whole Indiana Jones *thing*.

Plus after all those dark war episodes, it was a lot of fun and entertaining to watch.
tupogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
Surely you are not talking about that ''Weenie Roast' comment!

And "I don't like loaded weapons."

TC
Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
And "I don't like loaded weapons."

TC

Or "My pistol is empty, Dr. Jones".
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #19
robweiner8
IndyFan

The Ford bookends are awesome! I also love it when Bechet tells Indy 'time for you to play the blues.' One of the best episodes.
robweiner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
Avilos
IndyFan

This is one of my absolute favorites. I just watched it again on my DVDs last night.

I missed it when it first aired and it built up this kind of mystical status in my imagination until I saw it in 1999 on Video for the first time. I had been mostly interested in Ford's appearance but did not know what I would think of the rest. I did not see most of the series at this point. But feel in love with the whole thing! I love the history and the music. This episode caused to buy most of the tapes and to record every movie USA network showed.

Of course Harrison is great! Its almost like one of the prologues from the films. A short mini-adventure.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #21
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Or "My pistol is empty, Dr. Jones".

Now you've got it!

TC
Old 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #22
Young Indy
IndyFan

Just watched MOTB today for the first time. Very good episode, not my favorite, but awesome to see HF as Indiana Jones. I love the YIJ series and this is a great addition. A little slow at the begginning after the part with Ford but, very entertaining. Probably in the top 5 of the episodes I have seen. Just 2 left to watch.
Young Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #23
phantom train
IndyFan

I agree, MOTB was a great YIJC tele-film. At the time, I think having Ford do the cameo was because the network wanted to get new viewers interested in the show (the show hadn't done well when aired during the week the previous year, got cancelled, and then got put on Saturday night, a night which is almost guarenteed to cancel a show for good).

Anyway, the cameo wasn't the best part about the show - this particular tele-film was great in and of itself, and was also the first show in the series where you saw what IJ did after he came back from WW I.

I also liked the inclusion of historical figures, like Sidney B., Elliott Ness (though he probably wasn't as nerdy in real life as he was on the show), Ben Heche the playright, E. Hemingway, and Al C.

The music was excellent as well - though I'm not a huge fan of jazz, this episode really made me appreciate the various nuances to the music. It's also interesting that at the time the show took place (1920), jazz was not the mainstream and popular music that it is today, but was instead somewhat under-appreciated.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
indyclone25
IndyFan

mystery of the blues is one of my favorites also, it has enough mystery in it , trying to solve the murder and the action needed in the warehouse - music is great -- if you haven't gotten the soundtrack i suggest you get it i know its hard to find but it can be found ---
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
Belloq
IndyFan

What do you think ever happened to Indy's beard from the motb in the kotcs?

That beard was awesome!
Belloq is offline   Reply With Quote