TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: This kid born September 30, 1979 is...
older than me. 10 62.50%
younger than me. 6 37.50%
the same age as me. 0 0%
me. 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Moedred
Administrator

Jonathan Kasdan

A thread to distinguish Jonathan from his father, and his raunchy comedy and Jumanji director brother Jake.

This article thinks he's a great choice. Here's his Twitter. He's a child of the 1990s.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
The whatculture article states:

"And though initially, Collider's sources weren't quite clear on if Kasdan would simply be retooling or not, the film's production has since been pushed back a year to give Kasdan time to write his own script."

A whole year, really? Is there any confirmation of this anywhere else?
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Silvor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
The whatculture article states:

"And though initially, Collider's sources weren't quite clear on if Kasdan would simply be retooling or not, the film's production has since been pushed back a year to give Kasdan time to write his own script."

A whole year, really? Is there any confirmation of this anywhere else?
Holy crap, a whole year?! Was the Koepp version complete garbage or something?
I wonder what in the world they are planning.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
seasider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
Holy crap, a whole year?! Was the Koepp version complete garbage or something?

Maybe someone at Lucasfilm found out Koepp directed Mortdecai. Joking aside, my theory is that it was more of scheduling issue. Koepp is set to write and direct "You Should Have Left" probably later this year or early next year which means he would not be available for any script rewrites or revisions for Indy 5. Spielberg will often have his screenwriters on the set as he shoots in case he needs a scene rewritten on the fly.

We do know that Kasdan has not yet signed a contract to be Koepp's replacement so he can only revise and polish things in the existing script. I'm sure the contract thing will be remedied soon if it hasn't already.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
At this stage, all we have is rumors.
I'm very skeptical of this latest one about the one year delay: there's no source at all, sounds like drivel.

But if turns out to be true, then it's almost certain they are bringing in Kasdan in to essentially re-write the script, not just to polish it.

And IMO this would very likely mean that they scrapped the original idea of another "old Indy" adventure in favor of two intersecting stories, one of which takes place in the 60s with Ford, the other one shown in flahsbacks with a younger actor.

We shall see..
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Raiders112390
IndyFan

My prediction: Ford will not be in this, or if he is, his screen time will be no longer than 25 to 30 minutes, and his Indy will die.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
IndyBuff
IndyFan

If he's writing Indy V then it's officially dead. You would think they learned their lesson after Solo.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Old 07-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Gwydion
IndyFan

Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #10
Joosse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
If he's writing Indy V then it's officially dead. You would think they learned their lesson after Solo.

What lesson?

That he can actually write a decent movie?

Because Solo might have under performed in the cinema, it certainly wasn't the script that was to blame for that.
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
What lesson?

Because Solo might have under performed in the cinema, it certainly wasn't the script that was to blame for that.

Might have under performed? It's at best a $50 million loss. That's a little worse than under performing.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
What lesson?

Making Lando pansexual, adding an SJW droid, rewriting parts of Solo's backstory that fans had previously loved. Sure, that's just what Indy needs.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Making Lando pansexual, adding an SJW droid, rewriting parts of Solo's backstory that fans had previously loved. Sure, that's just what Indy needs.

I don't remember Lando being pansexual in the movie.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I don't remember Lando being pansexual in the movie.

They may have tried to play it down in the film but Kasdan talked about it in an interview. That turned many viewers, myself included, off before the film was even released.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/17/17...onathan-kasdan
Old 07-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
They may have tried to play it down in the film but Kasdan talked about it in an interview. That turned many viewers, myself included, off before the film was even released.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/17/17...onathan-kasdan

So what? It's not in the movie.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #16
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
Making Lando pansexual
Not to get too off-topic, but his orientation wasn't exactly a main point in the film. In all honesty, Lando seemed just as heterosexual as he was in his previous two appearances. Kasdan didn't really make an effort to have Lando be seen as pan in the movie, either. It seemed to be more of what he thought about the character.
Quote:
adding an SJW droid
Granted, you might have interpreted L3 differently, but from my point of view (and also Ron Howard's and Jon Kasdan's, if I remember correctly), she was always meant to be a satirical look on a lot of protesters and so-called "freedom fighters" today. Her viewpoints weren't meant to be taken seriously, but were rather used for humor (whether that worked out or not, I'm inclined to disagree, but I see where Kasdan was coming from).
Quote:
rewriting parts of Solo's backstory that fans had previously loved. Sure, that's just what Indy needs.
Again, that won't be a problem with Indy (very fortunately). The Expanded Adventures are still intact (unlike Star Wars's EU), so none of Indy's backstory can really be changed.
TheFirebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
So what? It's not in the movie.
Dr.Sartorius raises a good point as well. It doesn't really matter because it wasn't even hinted at, much less shoved in our faces. The media took a statement Jon made and blew it completely out of proportion.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird1
Dr.Sartorius raises a good point as well. It doesn't really matter because it wasn't even hinted at, much less shoved in our faces. The media took a statement Jon made and blew it completely out of proportion.

I didn't even really like the movie but some of the criticism being leveled at it is really dumb.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Pale Horse

Quote:

There's actual dialogue about it. When Qi'ra is talking to L3-37 alone in the cockpit of the Falcon. Lando figured out how to pleasure the droid.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
There's actual dialogue about it. When Qi'ra is talking to L3-37 alone in the cockpit of the Falcon. Lando figured out how to pleasure the droid.

I took that as an (unfunny) joke. That didn't scream, "Lando is pansexual" to me.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
I always interpreted that line as her unrequited love for Lando starting to spiral into a bit of lunacy. Lando cared for her, evidently, but undoubtedly didn't share her feelings. The idea that a physical relationship "worked" was more of a delusional input from her character.
Edit: As Dr.Sartorius noted, it also seemed more like a rather pitiable attempt at humor rather than an actuality.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Not to get too off-topic, but his orientation wasn't exactly a main point in the film. In all honesty, Lando seemed just as heterosexual as he was in his previous two appearances. Kasdan didn't really make an effort to have Lando be seen as pan in the movie, either. It seemed to be more of what he thought about the character.

We saw Lando being attracted to Leia in The Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't narrowly define him as heterosexual. Otherwise, I agree with you; it's not particularly part of the text.

Quote:
Granted, you might have interpreted L3 differently, but from my point of view (and also Ron Howard's and Jon Kasdan's, if I remember correctly), she was always meant to be a satirical look on a lot of protesters and so-called "freedom fighters" today. Her viewpoints weren't meant to be taken seriously, but were rather used for humor (whether that worked out or not, I'm inclined to disagree, but I see where Kasdan was coming from).

I think her viewpoints were meant to be sympathetic and serious, and the rebellion she leads as legitimately stirring, but they were also treated as a source of humor. I'm not sure they succeeded in both having and eating their cake, in this case.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #23
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I wonder if Kasdan will write Indy as a pansexual, too? Maybe have a scene of a male college student leaving his home, quipping that he and Marion are 60s swingers anyway. It's 2018. Can't have your main character be a straight white male unless you're a bigot.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #24
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I wonder if Kasdan will write Indy as a pansexual, too? Maybe have a scene of a male college student leaving his home, quipping that he and Marion are 60s swingers anyway. It's 2018. Can't have your main character be a straight white male unless you're a bigot.

I hope they do that just so it pisses you off.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #25
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
I hope they do that just to piss people like you off.

Yes, totally rewrite a character just to fit a radical political agenda.

Last edited by Raiders112390 : 07-05-2018 at 05:44 PM.