Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #176
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teneas
At the time I think I would of agreed. My taste for women seems to delve into the dark some times though. Marion is a total bada**. Strong, knows what she wants, a fighter, and isn't afraid to scrap with the boys. Those type of women are much hotter than needy divas any day in my book.

Marion from Raiders...not...well today.
Marion was definitely the most bad ass Indy gal. I mean, she drinks a husky dude under the table and kills a man to save Indy within the first 10 or 15 minutes she's on the screen. Also cold cocks Indy with a hay maker.

However, Willie also kills a bad guy.. With a GREAT right handed punch.. Knocks a Thuggee clean off the mine cart down a cliff inside the cave. She's very proper and prissy early on in the movie but definitely shows her strong side and spunk later on.. Even when facing certain death, she gives evil Indy a vicious scowl and then spits directly in his face. Then she winds up and slaps him while she's delirious after he saves her.

Willie is by far the most underrated Indy gal.
Willie Hott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #177
Blackadder
IndyFan

Because of the memorable gruesome dinner of course !
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #178
Major West
IndyFan

Willie was tougher than she thought she was. She was just a fish out of water.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #179
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

I love Willie's anger at Lao for "Keep her! I find another!"
JollyGreenSlugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #180
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Maybe because time has been kind and so we're not watching it now with all the baggage of Raiders in our minds like we did back then. For me I can watch the film now and not compare back to Raiders, I can watch it on its own merits and enjoy it without thinking about a still fresh Raiders of the Lost Ark and everything I had in my mind about what I thought TOD would be.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #181
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

I see ToD as a very flawed masterpiece. The mish-mash of slapstick humour and horror is jarring, the way they've written Willie is infuriating, yet I keep coming back to it again and again. I've probably rewatched this one the most in the last ten years.

I enjoy the film enough to have hosted a podcast about it!

http://chatflixpodcast.com.au/ep-60-...emple-of-doom/

https://itunes.apple.com/st/podcast/.../id1121520399#

/endshamelessplug
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #182
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
the way they've written Willie is infuriating

Agreed. Willie badly needed, um, a willy and some backbone. I can't be the only one who wished Indy had actually stabbed her in the "give me the antidote or Anything Goes!" scene.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 AM   #183
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSlugg
Agreed. Willie badly needed, um, a willy and some backbone. I can't be the only one who wished Indy had actually stabbed her in the "give me the antidote or Anything Goes!" scene.

That being said, we do say in the podcast that we think Kate Capshaw is excellent in the role - much better than the script deserves!
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #184
Temple Raider
IndyFan

I was actually consider starting a TOD fans thread but this one seems to do the job just fine

TOD has always been my favorite. I acknowledge Raiders is the best in many ways but I find TOD to be the most plainly entertaining of the bunch. It's non-stop adrenaline from start to finish. Best action, best music, best villains, etc. and so many of the most iconic images and moments of the series come from this entry alone. So many great moments like the escape from Club Obi-Wan, the spike/bug chamber, the sacrifice, the mine cart chase, climax on the bridge, etc. and this movie showed Nazis aren't always needed for Indy to work. Mola Ram and the Thuggees fit just fine. I never minded Willie or Short Round at all. Plus of all the Indy films it's the one that most feels like the vintage pulp adventure serials that inspired the character to begin with.

I often feel alone in thinking TOD is the joint best alongside Raiders. It always seemed to me after TOD the series became different. TLC and even KOTCS are fine, but the first two for me are in such a class above the rest.
Temple Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #185
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I love that TOD attempts to do something different. That's not to say I dislike the more streamlined approach of LC and KOTCS but Temple's dark and claustrophobic nature has always stuck out to me. I wouldn't mind seeing Indy V use more underground and gloomy set pieces.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #186
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Mola Ram is an "I'm mad me!" villain. Lao Che is more interesting.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #187
Pale Horse

Quote:
Mola Ram is an "I'm mad me!" villain. Lao Che is more interesting.

As is Chattar Lal.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #188
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
As is Chattar Lal.

Chatter Lal is definitely this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...sternHypocrisy and Lao Che is probably also Western educated.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #189
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
As is Chattar Lal.

I would have been cool to see a bit more of Chattar Lal and his involvement. He was an interesting character that didn't get much screen time.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #190
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
I would have been cool to see a bit more of Chattar Lal and his involvement. He was an interesting character that didn't get much screen time.
I'd love to see an Indy spin-off exploring Chatter Lal and Lao Che's days at Oxford/Cambridge. Western education would only have heightened their contempt for the British who had stolen India and Hong Kong.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #191
Pale Horse

Quote:
Chatter Lal is definitely this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...sternHypocrisy and Lao Che is probably also Western educated.

I can see it now. Disney won't 'remake' Indiana Jones, but the will start doing a slew of Stand Alone films for all the characters we didn't know we needed a back story on!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #192
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
I can see it now. Disney won't 'remake' Indiana Jones, but the will start doing a slew of Stand Alone films for all the characters we didn't know we needed a back story on!

Don't tell me you haven't been clamoring for a Jock film. Don't you want to know how he got Reggie?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #193
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple Raider
I was actually consider starting a TOD fans thread but this one seems to do the job just fine

TOD has always been my favorite. I acknowledge Raiders is the best in many ways but I find TOD to be the most plainly entertaining of the bunch. It's non-stop adrenaline from start to finish. Best action, best music, best villains, etc. and so many of the most iconic images and moments of the series come from this entry alone. So many great moments like the escape from Club Obi-Wan, the spike/bug chamber, the sacrifice, the mine cart chase, climax on the bridge, etc. and this movie showed Nazis aren't always needed for Indy to work. Mola Ram and the Thuggees fit just fine. I never minded Willie or Short Round at all. Plus of all the Indy films it's the one that most feels like the vintage pulp adventure serials that inspired the character to begin with.

I often feel alone in thinking TOD is the joint best alongside Raiders. It always seemed to me after TOD the series became different. TLC and even KOTCS are fine, but the first two for me are in such a class above the rest.

I actually consider TOD to be my favorite Indy film. Indy is at his most anti-hero here; the film is like a relentless rollercoaster. The darkness of it is pulp at its very best. It's a well-crafted action film with some comedic elements, but LC often goes too far in the other direction. It also shows us that Indy is capable of more than just fighting Nazis and that his universe is larger than that of the Judeo-Christian religions.

It is a flawed masterpiece. It cuts out all the BS and exposition which honestly, for me, slow down Raiders, and cuts right to the literal and figurative chase.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #194
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Don't tell me you haven't been clamoring for a Jock film. Don't you want to know how he got Reggie?

I see a Dunn and Duffy circus coming to Jocks town when he was a kid!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #195
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Chatter Lal's days at Oxford.... OMG it would be a good comedy in the right hands
Old 04-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #196
hismasterplan
IndyFan

Visually, I think it's the best Indy film. I can't take my eyes off it. The pacing seemed ahead of it's time for better or worse. It's one of the few movies where I feel completely immersed. I can forget I'm watching a movie. It has every emotion you can ask for too.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 AM   #197
DoomsdayFAN
IndyFan

I not only love it, but love the hell out of it. It's absolutely awesome! I just watched it the other night, first time in a few years, and it's just endlessly entertaining!

I don't understand how anyone can hate it. It's a little goofy, but wow is it fun.
DoomsdayFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #198
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

I think out of the four films in the Indy saga, Temple has always meant the most to me. Does it have problems? Yes, but above all I pride it for its originality and mood. Temple wasn't a mere pastiche of Raiders, but rather a completely original film which paid homage to the serials of the 1930s before it, but in a darker vein. Indy himself is seen in a completely different lens as well, his rougher and cynical side that was only hinted at in Raiders coming out in full force. Throughout the movie, he's mainly out for himself and his own "fortune and glory", which makes his transition into caring hero so much more valuable. I get that there's some goofiness to the film, and some annoying moments, but it all pays off. The action sequences and cinematography in the film are incredible, and whenever I watch them I feel as if I'm actually there with Indy and his companions, something most films can't accomplish. And to top it off, Amrish Puri has a chillingly fantastic performance in the film as Mola Ram, varying from darkly mystical to borderline psychopathic in his bloodlust.
Finally, one of the reasons I have such a personal connection to the film was because it was filmed in my dad's home country of Sri Lanka, and when I watch the film I can even translate a bit of what the villagers are saying. To add to that, D. R. Nanayakkara (the actor who portrayed the shaman in Temple) was a family friend of my dad's. I appreciate that Spielberg and Lucas were willing to stray the path and create a masterful sequel that delved into non-Western themes, especially when dealing with the lingam, which I think was one of the best artifacts in the series. From start to finish, the film is pure fun, plain and simple.
TheFirebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #199
Dr Shields
IndyFan

They really do eat bugs and monkey brains in some parts of India. I thought that was very over the top but it sort of isn’t.
Dr Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #200
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

The guy playing Mola Ram apparently knew that the movie was insulting to India and Hinduism... but he's clearing having a ball by giving the most outrageous performance he can: "Drop them, Doctor Jones! They will be found! You won't!".