Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #126
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll be happy to address whatever questions you may have about styrene...I've really only worked with it for about a year, and this flying wing project is especially experimental for me. The structure seems pretty stable at this point, so we'll see how it goes.

Glorbes,

Are you building your flying wing on the Raiders design or the Disney World stunt show one? I know the Disney one is smaller and has a different cockpit design.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #127
The Golden Idol
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Glorbes,

Are you building your flying wing on the Raiders design or the Disney World stunt show one? I know the Disney one is smaller and has a different cockpit design.

I hope it's the Raiders design...
The Golden Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #128
glorbes
IndyFan

I'm mainly basing it on the Raiders design. The landing gear will be simplified considerably, since I'm using some small casters to allow the wheels to be moveable, but aside from that it will (hopefully) look pretty close to its screen counterpart.
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #129
RichardJones
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm mainly basing it on the Raiders design. The landing gear will be simplified considerably, since I'm using some small casters to allow the wheels to be moveable, but aside from that it will (hopefully) look pretty close to its screen counterpart.

Looks great so far. I am new to creating dioramas and such so I am still learning. I am happy with my Grail Temple and still have plans to expand it, but I think I may redue my cemetery .
RichardJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #130
glorbes
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJones
I am happy with my Grail Temple and still have plans to expand it

The Grail Temple looks awesome. It would be cool to add some representation of the chalenges if you were to expand it, or possibly recreate the grail chamber for the Knight to kick back in. The stone textured material looks amazing by the way...what exactly did you use for that?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #131
RichardJones
IndyFan

Thanks man. As for your question I used texture rock paint , the color is called Ancient Ruins, well nothing says Indy better than that. I am still working on a way to make the Great Seal , but so far I've been unsuccessful. Any Ideas ?
RichardJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #132
glorbes
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJones
I am still working on a way to make the Great Seal , but so far I've been unsuccessful. Any Ideas ?

It might work to cut out a stencil of a pattern of the Great Seal in paper or extremely thin styrene, cut out the shapes and glue them to another surface to give it a 'relief' effect. You could layer elements of the pattern to give it more detail. You could paint the whole thing silver, and then patina it with some black washes and drybrushing. Not sure if this makes sense or not
Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #133
glorbes
IndyFan

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this so soon on the heels of my Flying Wing work-in-progress, but this is actually an older project. The final result is a bit overscaled, and I know that the shape of the treads and the size of the turret is off-model, but it was a lot of fun to make.

Last Crusade Tank

Basic structure:

Tread base, turret, and side cannons added:

Lots n' lots of rivets:

'Finished' product:

This has been in progress for about three and a half weeks. My first pass looked too clean and naked of detail, especially after I realized the wealth of screenshots on this website. The interior still needs more detail, but its on the backburner for now.

Removable turret:

Periscope:

More angles:

And one for scale (which is, admittedly, a little too big):

This shot was taken outside before I had added a few more elements:
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #134
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Wow that tank looks great!!!!!!!!! I wish they would sell those in stores
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #135
The Golden Idol
IndyFan

Quote:
I hope you guys don't mind me posting this so soon on the heels of my Flying Wing work-in-progress, but this is actually an older project. The final result is a bit overscaled, and I know that the shape of the treads and the size of the turret is off-model, but it was a lot of fun to make.

Last Crusade Tank

Basic structure:

Tread base, turret, and side cannons added:

Lots n' lots of rivets:

'Finished' product:

This has been in progress for about three and a half weeks. My first pass looked too clean and naked of detail, especially after I realized the wealth of screenshots on this website. The interior still needs more detail, but its on the backburner for now.

Removable turret:

Periscope:

More angles:

And one for scale (which is, admittedly, a little too big):

That's amazing. Really.
The Golden Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #136
glorbes
IndyFan

Thanks guys. Just so you know, I do encourage some critical feedback as well. The idea is to make further improvements and additions to these projects. The tank progressed even further than I initially intended because someone made a few suggestions about the paint job...I just sort of ran with it

tnswman, your dioramas from the start of this thread are fantastic! What are the bases made from? Did you use a spray product like Richard Jones did? It really works like gangbusters. Also, is the foliage from model train accesories, or did you use something else?

Also a quick question: If anyone has a model or toy (perhaps the Disney exclusive) of the Flying Wing, would you be willing to snap a few shots of it from various angles? The Screenshots are great, but there are few good, clear shots of the prop in its entirety. I'd really appreciate it

Last edited by glorbes : 06-29-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #137
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:

glorbes,

That is awesome!! Send photos to Hasbro to use as a protoype!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #138
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
glorbes,

That is awesome!! Send photos to Hasbro to use as a protoype!

Agreed, this tank is amazing bro, Can't wait to see your Flying Wing.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #139
inky_skin
IndyFan

glorbes - pretty sure I have blueprints for the Flying Wing someplace - I'll take a look this week and scan them for you if they turn up.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #140
glorbes
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
glorbes - pretty sure I have blueprints for the Flying Wing someplace - I'll take a look this week and scan them for you if they turn up.

Thanks, man...any reference material is a bonus!

And thanks for the kind words regarding the tank, everyone.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #141
inky_skin
IndyFan

Here's the best version I could find...(apologies to any copyright holders on this one - I'll remove it at your request)...

Photobucket

Additionally, the following link shows the component parts of a Flying Wing model kit - may be of use to you

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/brow...g=270&zone=11&

(Blohm & Voss BV-38 Flying Wing - click on the 'More Info / Pictures' link for the product to see the pieces)
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #142
glorbes
IndyFan

inky_skin

Thanks for the image and links. I do have the blueprint design from the Luvasfilm Archives book, but that model kit image is exactly what I was looking for...muchly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #143
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks guys. Just so you know, I do encourage some critical feedback as well. The idea is to make further improvements and additions to these projects. The tank progressed even further than I initially intended because someone made a few suggestions about the paint job...I just sort of ran with it

tnswman, your dioramas from the start of this thread are fantastic! What are the bases made from? Did you use a spray product like Richard Jones did? It really works like gangbusters. Also, is the foliage from model train accesories, or did you use something else?

Also a quick question: If anyone has a model or toy (perhaps the Disney exclusive) of the Flying Wing, would you be willing to snap a few shots of it from various angles? The Screenshots are great, but there are few good, clear shots of the prop in its entirety. I'd really appreciate it

I used a mix or textured spray and man made texture as well as primer gray shadowing....It's hard to make it look very much like stone.

I used regular floral foilage
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #144
tnswman
IndyFan

That tank is simply the most amazing custom I have EVER seen!! Perfect work!
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #145
glorbes
IndyFan

Thanks for the comment, and for the info. I'll have to give some of this textured spray a go...what is it that you used as a building material for the structure of your playset? I'm thinking about taking a crack at the Well of Souls some time in the future. I have NO clue how I would attempt making the Anubis statues though...that really is the one element that has me completely confounded.

More Flying Wing progress...the c0ckpit!

I designed it as an insert, so that I could paint it separately and make sure the interior gets full paint coverage before I permanently attach it.

A portion of the c0ckpit cover frame is not attached, since I'm going to hinge it to allow access to the completed interior. I'm going to use clear plastic for the glass.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #146
Indy&HanFan
IndyFan

those are really cool
Indy&HanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #147
inky_skin
IndyFan

glorbes - what're you using for the rivet detail on your tank ? I have a mine car that needs some styling
Old 07-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #148
glorbes
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
glorbes - what're you using for the rivet detail on your tank ? I have a mine car that needs some styling

Plastic rod, sliced into thin discs...it works like a charm.

More Flying Wing progress:

Now I have a question...does anyone have any ideas about what I could use for the engines? I'm wracking my brain, but I cannot thing what I could possibly convert to use as the housing for the engines and propellers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #149
Luke Skywalker
IndyFan

These are some figure stands i made:

Indy escaping from the Chachapoyan temple

Indy in Orellana's Craddle
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #150
Errex
IndyFan

Really nice bases. I've been considering doing something similar, but I'm waay too lazy...
Errex is offline   Reply With Quote