Anything Goes V.S. Hound Dog

The Man

Ahh, Youtube, you are our bosom...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAdTXLqmDqk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAdTXLqmDqk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> :cool:

Bvance

AlivePoet said:
Did you read my post from the first page? Damn, you guys are either blind or you refuse to consider the idea that this song might have a purpose besides force-feeding the fact that it's the 50s.

So perhaps the line in the song: "They said you were high class, but that was just a lie, " could actually be referring to what people would think after the movie was over. That the Indiana Jones franchise was high class film making until KOTCS came along and now it's all just a lie. Now I see how to read into the song. (y)

The Man, how do you find these cool videos?

And this is my 100 post FINALLY.

IndyCon

I love the opening of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I absolutely love Hound Dog playing with the car sequence it's great fun. (y):D:whip:

And it's my 100th post.

AlivePoet

Bvance said:
So perhaps the line in the song: "They said you were high class, but that was just a lie, " could actually be referring to what people would think after the movie was over. That the Indiana Jones franchise was high class film making until KOTCS came along and now it's all just a lie. Now I see how to read into the song. (y)

Author's intention, my friend... always something to consider. ;)

No Ticket

AlivePoet said:
Did you read my post from the first page? Damn, you guys are either blind or you refuse to consider the idea that this song might have a purpose besides force-feeding the fact that it's the 50s.

Yes I read the little thing about "never caught a rabbit" having to do with Indy. But I think it's utterly ridiculous to really think they thought that in-depth about it... you're just seeing what you want to see there, you're giving the film too much credit.

Indy's brother

I thought the TOD opener was the better of these two. While it took many years to get over it and accept "Anything Goes" (as many will end up doing with "Hound Dog"), I now acknowledge it's brilliance. TOD was tonally just too different than I was willing to digest after ROTLA. "Hound Dog" didn't bug me, but the scene it was used in seemed to run a little long. Of course, maybe it just seemed that way because after 19 years, I couldn't wait to see Indy on the big screen again.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
I thought the TOD opener was the better of these two. While it took many years to get over it and accept "Anything Goes" (as many will end up doing with "Hound Dog"), I now acknowledge it's brilliance. TOD was tonally just too different than I was willing to digest after ROTLA. "Hound Dog" didn't bug me, but the scene it was used in seemed to run a little long. Of course, maybe it just seemed that way because after 19 years, I couldn't wait to see Indy on the big screen again.

Good points... Also to note - TOD aside, the opening credits to Raiders, LC and KOTCS are very similar (KOTCS being the most kinetic). As far as opening credits running times goes, I think they are pretty much identical too...

Darth Vile said:
Good points... Also to note - TOD aside, the opening credits to Raiders, LC and KOTCS are very similar (KOTCS being the most kinetic). As far as opening credits running times goes, I think they are pretty much identical too...

Raiders and Last Crusade are the most similar. KOCKS is not remotely similar to the other two. Not even close. Raiders and LC follow Indy on an expedition (granted greatly different expeditions). Temple and KOCKS are the oddballs.

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
Raiders and Last Crusade are the most similar. KOCKS is not remotely similar to the other two. Not even close. Raiders and LC follow Indy on an expedition (granted greatly different expeditions). Temple and KOCKS are the oddballs.

Not sure I agree... TOD has a very self contained opening, as is the nature of a 3 minute Busby Berkley show piece. Raiders, LC and KOTCS all involve some form of journey, with Indy traveling from point A to point B (even if he's in the boot of a car). I agree that Raiders and LC are probably the closest... but KOTCS is certainly similar enough.

Agent Z

I love both opening songs.

However, I must admit that not knowing the actual lyrics to "Anything Goes" worked best for me all these years.

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
Not sure I agree... TOD has a very self contained opening, as is the nature of a 3 minute Busby Berkley show piece. Raiders, LC and KOTCS all involve some form of journey, with Indy traveling from point A to point B (even if he's in the boot of a car). I agree that Raiders and LC are probably the closest... but KOTCS is certainly similar enough.

What, you didn't think Indy traveling from the Club-Obi Wan to the docks/plane was going from point A to B in TOD? Does the street chase not count? All he did in Raiders was go in a temple and back out... to get in a plane. He goes in a club and back out to get in a ... plane in TOD. Do you just like to pick on that one because it's your least favorite?

A major difference in Raiders and LC is that it was a DIFFERENT adventure... while in KOTCS, it is pretty much all tied into the same adventure. Same main bad guy... looking for crystal skulls. It's merely the beginning of the one we're about to see... we don't get to see Dr. Jones on another different adventure in this one. A big letdown to me.

Don't try to argue that point as it's 100% right. I know Belloq was in the opening of Raiders, but the object was the fertility idol and it had nothing to do with the major plot... Belloq just returns in the main plot. Spalko seeks out the skull here and it all ties into the main plot.

KOTCS is an oddball, but I wouldn't say it's really anything like TOD. But it certainly isn't like the others either.

Forbidden Eye

No Ticket said:
Spalko seeks out the skull here and it all ties into the main plot.

No she doesn't... she seeks out the alien, so she could examine the skull! ;) It is never really explained why she's after that alien though, as I think she knows the actual "missing skull" is separate.

I do somewhat agree though. I think they probably should've introduced Indy and Mac in Mexico to see what they were after on their "separate adventure". It also would've made the twist with Mac more surprising.

What also makes both TOD and KOTCS "oddballs" is that the logo doesn't fad into actual mountaintops.

No Ticket

Forbidden Eye said:
No she doesn't... she seeks out the alien, so she could examine the skull! ;) It is never really explained why she's after that alien though, as I think she knows the actual "missing skull" is separate.

I do somewhat agree though. I think they probably should've introduced Indy and Mac in Mexico to see what they were after on their "separate adventure". It also would've made the twist with Mac more surprising.

What also makes both TOD and KOTCS "oddballs" is that the logo doesn't fad into actual mountains.

She seeks out the alien because, *gasp*.... the aliens have crystal skulls. So it's still the same damn thing. Just because there are a few skulls doesn't mean going after a different one makes it completely different.

No, in fact it's pretty much still tied into the main plot which is why it is not a separate adventure and why it let me down.

Indy's brother

We may be straying a bit off topic with this, but I gotta throw in my 2 cents.

Raiders opening: Introduced not only Indiana Jones, but Belloq, also, it helped to set the mood for the snakes later in the movie.

TOD opening: Introduced Willie and Short Round, and provided a stepping-off point to begin the adventure.

Crusade opening: Introduced Henry Jones Sr. and the grail.

KOTCS opening: Introduced Mac, Spalko and the roswell/alien concept.

See a pattern here? The true purpose of the beginning third act is to set the table for later elements of the film. Pretty genius, really. In that sense, all four films accomplish roughly the same task. Which one does it best is probably a topic for another thread. Mechanically speaking, KOTCS opening third act nestles neatly into place. "Hound Dog" may not work for some, but it didn't hurt anything.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
What, you didn't think Indy traveling from the Club-Obi Wan to the docks/plane was going from point A to B in TOD? Does the street chase not count? All he did in Raiders was go in a temple and back out... to get in a plane. He goes in a club and back out to get in a ... plane in TOD. Do you just like to pick on that one because it's your least favorite?

A major difference in Raiders and LC is that it was a DIFFERENT adventure... while in KOTCS, it is pretty much all tied into the same adventure. Same main bad guy... looking for crystal skulls. It's merely the beginning of the one we're about to see... we don't get to see Dr. Jones on another different adventure in this one. A big letdown to me.

Don't try to argue that point as it's 100% right. I know Belloq was in the opening of Raiders, but the object was the fertility idol and it had nothing to do with the major plot... Belloq just returns in the main plot. Spalko seeks out the skull here and it all ties into the main plot.

KOTCS is an oddball, but I wouldn't say it's really anything like TOD. But it certainly isn't like the others either.

Before comments, please read the posts correctly. We've been discussing the opening credits for multiple posts... Although I agree that KOTCS has an intro that is more closely linked to the main body of the story than the other movies (although that's a different point).

Last edited:

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Although I agree that KOTCS has an intro that is more closely linked to the main body of the story than the other movies (although that's a different point).

Yes, yet another contradiction from Marshall and Lucas. The end of another adventure? Indy's having a quiet life? :rolleyes:

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
Before comments, please read the posts correctly. We've been discussing the opening credits for multiple posts... Although I agree that KOTCS has an intro that is more closely linked to the main body of the story than the other movies (although that's a different point).

What do you classify then as an opening credit... because I DID read the posts above you and I inferred you were speaking of the opening adventures since RA mentioned Indy goes on an expedition in Raiders. Well that's what I'm talking about then.

I also don't appreciate the condescending tone of your reply. You may not think you said anything wrong but you sound like a jackass with a comment like, PLEASE... before commenting, READ the posts correctly [because you're obviously an idiot]. No need to say it like that. There is a lot of condescending around here lately, which is starting to irk me the wrong way.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
I also don't appreciate the condescending tone of your reply. You may not think you said anything wrong but you sound like a jackass with a comment like, PLEASE... before commenting, READ the posts correctly [because you're obviously an idiot]. No need to say it like that. There is a lot of condescending around here lately, which is starting to irk me the wrong way.

Credits... as in opening titles...

Please can I suggest you taking a leaf from your own book? I refer to your earlier comment aimed in my direction... "Don't try to argue that point as it's 100% right". You may not have thought anything wrong with that... but I thought it a bit of a "jackass" comment too (especially as it was your misunderstanding).