So who else is uncomfortable....

michael

with the fact that Indy wasn't around for his son's first 19 years of existence.

It's something I try to slide under the rug. It felt cheap to the character. It's one thing bailing on a wedding, but not even knowing you have a son for that long?!

Sure it's not his fault because he didn't know, but still....

And I don't know how the times back then looked on stuff like that.

But it's sort of a double edged sword, though. If the movie started with Indy and his son, WE, the AUDIENCE, would be like whoa whoa whoa, we need some back story! The way they handled it was smart in a way, because we are on the same page with Indy, everything he is learning about Mutt, we are too. It's just the fact that 19 years he went without his actual dad. I don't know. As a big Indy fan, I don't like that aspect of the character.

For the record, I like the character of Mutt.

What do you guys & girls think??

Oh Boy! Imagine Indy V opening in 1955, with Mutt as the nerd in the photo with Ox, stealing a motorcycle, getting his leather jacket!

michael

TheMutt92 said:
But Mutt did have a father, it just wasn't his biological father, remember?

Obviously, and I don't doubt that Mutt didn't live a decent childhood.

It's just f***ed up to me that Indy is going about his life NOT knowing about his own son like that!!!

To me it's kind of sad to think about.

side note, I wonder if Marion (she must've) told him bedtime stories of an adventuring archaeologist....

Rocket Surgeon said:
Oh Boy! Imagine Indy V opening in 1955, with Mutt as the nerd in the photo with Ox, stealing a motorcycle, getting his leather jacket!

I hate to be that guy who types this, but I literally DID ALMOST spit my drink out reading this + thinking of that nerd photo! The hat in the picture....Ohhhh the hat!

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
But Mutt did have a father, it just wasn't his biological father, remember?

Since we never knew Colin, and the way in which Mutt tears up over his condition in Skull, Ox was surely the most influential 'father' he could have hoped to have.

If Indy had stuck it out with the marriage and parentage, we'd never have The Last Crusade. Our entertainment takes precedence over a child who wasn't written at that stage. (y)

michael

Montana Smith said:
Don't worry.

Mutt isn't Indy's son.

One day the truth will come out.

Trust me.

:p
Funny story! Before it came out, I was talking to a girl at work, and I was like "Yeah I'm going to see the new Indiana Jones movie this weekend."

She was like "Ohh yeah that is out, isn't that like his son in it?"

I said, "Noo, that was just a rumor or something."

Little did I know....

She could careless about any of this, me on the other hand....well, 2 1/2 years later the Raven has this topic, I guess.

Montana Smith

michael said:
Funny story! Before it came out, I was talking to a girl at work, and I was like "Yeah I'm going to see the new Indiana Jones movie this weekend."

She was like "Ohh yeah that is out, isn't that like his son in it?"

I said, "Noo, that was just a rumor or something."

Little did I know....

She could careless about any of this, me on the other hand....well, 2 1/2 years later the Raven has this topic, I guess.

When's Mutt's birthday? Working back can we pin his conception down to Marion's time with Belloq in the tent? Now that would be ironic.

michael

Montana Smith said:
When's Mutt's birthday? Working back can we pin his conception down to Marion's time with Belloq in the tent? Now that would be ironic.

Indy pointing his finger: "Who was it?!! Who was it!?!

Marion: I dunno Indy, some guy, a French man....I think his name was Belloshh?

Indy's head explodes.

michael said:
I hate to be that guy who types this, but I literally DID ALMOST spit my drink out reading this + thinking of that nerd photo! The hat in the picture....Ohhhh the hat!
The scene writes itself! Mutt's nerded out at the Car Hop ala American Grafitti where the tenuous ballance between the Jocks and Greasers, verbally jousting horses/torque and mamas explodes as Mutt finally lets go and fights back. Milk shakes fly, chicks swoon as Mutt pops the clutch a wheelie and escapes the native zit poppers chasing him. Later the biker gang catch him and respect his display of book knowledge with regards to the internal combustion engine.

Ritchie Cunningham becomes The Fonz...music swells.

The Man

Mutt could well be Indy's half-brother...

INDY
Brutal couple of years, eh, Charlie? First Elsa. Then Willie. Then Marion. Then Deirdre.

STANFORTH
(laughing)
Indeed! Your father was quite the horndog. Wait. What? Deirdre?!

kongisking

Really, guys? Did you forget who directed this movie? One of Spielberg's trademarks is flawed father figures who have neglected their children. It's just that this subplot isn't given as much attention in KOTCS, so as to not distract from the fun. Which might have been a mistake...:confused:

oki9Sedo

I agree.

Its a much sadder thing than the film treats it as.

The only credible situation you don't tell somebody they are a father is if they are a danger to the child. Not telling somebody they're the father of your son, because you have personal differences,? Not on, dear.:whip:

I actually would have wailed on her til I could no longer move. Its an awful thing to do to someone.

michael

It is incredibly sugar coated oki, no doubt.

How could you NOT tell INDIANA JONES, he has a son!!?

Regardless if he would've been a capable parent, which I'm sure he could've been, you still tell the man!

The Man

At least Indy embraced the news with nary a whiff of doubt. Unlike certain gents...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2C6U08xh7l0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Dr Bones

I think it makes sense back then that Maz married as she thought it was over with Indy and that was a common thing to do. Better married with someone elses child than unmarried with anyone's child. Then keep it quiet to save the scandal and the reputation of the man you married as well as that of your son and yourself.

I know a guy who found out recently that his long time family friend and neighbour is his half sister.

They say 1 in 4 are unaware that the person married to their mother or they think is their father is actually not their biological father. Was true in my friend's case.

In Mutt's case, stranger thing have happened in real life (check the Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer shows), so I can buy it.

That doesn't mean I have to like it. :hat:

Kernunnos

Toht is Mutt's father.

He had been playing with the panties of the wedding dress that Belloq made Marion put on.

michael

I think it gets people in. Regardless if only 3 of the posts in here are actually serious. hahaha :hat: