Who will play Marcus Broody?

Seeing as the great actor Denhlom Elliot died of aids, I was wondering who will replace him...

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't suppose anybody will. He's irreplacable. It seems British actors used to say to each other, "never work with animals, children, or Denholm Elliot." He was that much of an effortless scene-stealer.

bob

No one should replace Marcus as Marcus is a character that does not need to be recasted and Elliot made it his own

Coldfyre

I'm assuming that he won't be in the 4th film... since the actor is dead, and the character of Marcus isn't essential to the film, why would they bother replacing him with someone if they could just leave him out entirely? The only reason to put him in is for sentimental value, but if he's played by a new actor, there won't even be that.

HovitosKing

Quoting Renderking Fisk:

"I wouldn't be suprise to see Jones filling his shoes at the musuem."

Now there's a great idea. Indiana Jones IV opens with Indy as the curator of Marcus' museum in light of his passing on. Not a bad one at all!

Coldfyre

HovitosKing said:
Quoting Renderking Fisk:

"I wouldn't be suprise to see Jones filling his shoes at the musuem."

Now there's a great idea. Indiana Jones IV opens with Indy as the curator of Marcus' museum in light of his passing on. Not a bad one at all!

I agree... it would be a bad idea to replace him with another actor, but having at least some mention of him would be nice... it wouldn't be a proper final Indy film without Marcus included in some small way.

Whipper

I would presume that Marcus is dead and that this will be mentioned, and the character paid tribute to in some small way. I don't see Indy becoming Marcus, though.

And I don't think this new adventure will be presented to him as a last gasp. I think he will have remained plenty active with the adventuring in the intervening years, just with different motivations than he had in his early years.

We'll probably catch up to him right in the middle of one of those adventures, as we have in the previous films. Adventure has a name, and that's Indiana Jones. Adventure is his life.

bob

I think that we possibly overstate Marcus's importance....

Elliot gave a great performance but ultimately it occupied a tiny niche as the person Indy sees for about 10 minutes of the film set in USA

He had a very small role in Raiders

I dont think that you can take his character anywhere else after LC

And in LC his chraracter was destroyed in the process of dragging him along for a whole movie, even if it was acceptable to recast him who would want him along on the adventure again? other than for nostalgia that a recast would not give.

I hate to say it but there is no need for a Marcus character in Indy IV, time has moved on since the 30's that is something that should be very clear by Indy IV probably taking place 20 years after Raiders (Marcus would be in his 70's)

LC was a good enough send off for Marcus (and Sallah, Henry and Indy for that matter!)