TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #51
HovitosKing
IndyFan

no, they won't. he's been throwing his own feces at people for a while now, you just gotta add him to your ignore list. then all you see is this:

"This message is hidden because ResidentAlien is on your ignore list."
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #52
ResidentAlien

Ahh, I love not being able to see your post. <3 I love you Hovitos, baby.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #53
HovitosKing
IndyFan

"This message is hidden because ResidentAlien is on your ignore list."
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #54
deckard24
IndyFan

Wow, what a great film! There really have been some great westerns made in the last few years ie. The Proposition, Seraphim Falls, and now 3:10 to Yuma. If the success of this movie is any evidence, I expect we'll be seeing some other classic westerns being remade. As much as they don't need to be, films like The Wild Bunch, The Magnificent Seven, and High Noon are just ripe for the picking! Bale and Crowe were both excellent, and I'll be surprised if one of them isn't nominated for an Oscar come Jan/Feb 2008. The musical score alone I'm sure will get a nod. Also how about that Ben Foster? That guy has been turning in one great psychopath performance after another. First Hostage, then Alpha Dog, now 3:10 to Yuma, not bad for a guy pushing 30.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #55
Katarn07
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
If the success of this movie is any evidence, I expect we'll be seeing some other classic westerns being remade. As much as they don't need to be, films like The Wild Bunch, The Magnificent Seven, and High Noon are just ripe for the picking!

Oh boy, you're just gonna get him all riled up again

I'm glad that the posts in this topic actually pertaining to the movie have been so positive. I need to find someone to go see this with. Like, right NOW! Or I could start to do my homework. But I'm liking the movie idea a bit more right now.
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #56
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarn07
Oh boy, you're just gonna get him all riled up again

I'm glad that the posts in this topic actually pertaining to the movie have been so positive. I need to find someone to go see this with. Like, right NOW! Or I could start to do my homework. But I'm liking the movie idea a bit more right now.

High Noon's already been remade... twice I believe. Once with Tom Skerritt...

And Magnificent Seven... eh, I don't care about that one, remake it all you want. Seven Samurai is much better anyway.

Someone mentioned Proposition though. I must agree... wonderful, wonderful film.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #57
Kingsley
IndyFan

This is a John Huston quote, that Resident Alien will probably appreciate:

On remakes: "There is a wilful lemming-like persistance in remaking past successes time after time. They can't make them as good as they are in our memories, but they go on doing them and each time it's a disaster. Why don't we remake some of our bad pictures - I'd love another shot at 'Roots of Heaven' - and make them good?"

When did he said that? At least more than 20 years ago, he died in 1988.
Remakes are part of Cinema history.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #58
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
This is a John Huston quote, that Resident Alien will probably appreciate:

On remakes: "There is a wilful lemming-like persistance in remaking past successes time after time. They can't make them as good as they are in our memories, but they go on doing them and each time it's a disaster. Why don't we remake some of our bad pictures - I'd love another shot at 'Roots of Heaven' - and make them good?"

When did he said that? At least more than 20 years ago, he died in 1988.
Remakes are part of Cinema history.

Absolutely they are. But the ratio is startlingly high as of late. They haven't been this rampant since the creation of the talkie (as I mentioned earlier in the thread). And yes, I feel those films were to some degree warranted. After all, there's a huge difference, almost an entirely different medium, between silent and talkie. That difference doesn't exist between black and white and color or 4:3 and widescreen and especially not between analog and digital forms of filmmaking. The films aren't being told in a different or innovative way. They're being told because they have an established fan base.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #59
nezobiwan
IndyFan

I loved this movie, although I though it was a bit too long.

Christian Bale, I really think, is one of the greatest actors of this generation. I used to have high regard for Edward Norton, but he's been so flaky that I have to admit my allegiances lie with Bale nowadays.

I almost didn't go see this film because I don't particularly like Westerns and I hate Russell Crowe's real-life personality. But I'm so glad I went to see it despite my reservations.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I like Ben Foster... but did anyone else think he was a woman in the first shot? Like just for a second before I recognized him I was like "Hey, is that a woman in a beard?!?!"

And who else thinks the kid who played Bale's elder son is going to be a major hottie when he gets a bit older?
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #60
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

I love Westerns, but I wasn't sure if this film would be any good. But, you guys have convinced me to go! It sure sounds cool.
Indy_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #61
Katarn07
IndyFan

So I finally saw this movie last night. It's the best western I've ever seen, though I don't like westerns so it's not saying much for it. The ending battle was awesome, and Russel Crowe's character was amazing.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #62
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Since the reactions in this thread have been generally positive, I'm going to have to check out the original.

My ex was fanatical about Westerns, and 3:10 to Yuma was one of his absolute favorites, yet somehow I escaped the relationship without being forced to watch it once. Hmm. I don't know if I'll bother with the remake, though. Maybe I'll give it a rent one day, if only out of morbid curiosity.

I mean, most of you liked it, so I'm sure it's O.K. an' all. But I just hate Russel Crowe, and I'm against remakes in general.

We need more Westerns, I think. It's a dying genre, and I'm not helping as I've only seen a handful of them. Silverado, Frisco Kid, err... Quigley Down Under. I should check out more *real* Westerns.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #63
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
I mean, most of you liked it, so I'm sure it's O.K. an' all. But I just hate Russel Crowe, and I'm against remakes in general.

I hate Russel Crowe and remakes and I still liked it.

Worst remakes ever:
Psycho (Anne Heche)
Planet of the Apes (Marky Mark and the Junky Bunch)
Time Machine (Guy Pierce)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton)
Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan)
Freaky Friday (Lindsay Lohan one sucked, the Shelley Long one was ok)

Best remakes:
Oceans 11 (George Clooney)
Bedazzled (Brendan Fraser)
Scrooged (Bill Murray)
Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caveziel)
The Mummy (Brendan Fraser)
Little Women (Winona Ryder)
The Three Musketeers (Disney Kiefer Sutherland version)
Sleepy Hollow (Johnny D)

Of course that's my own opinion and some of those aren't *technically* what people usually refer to as remakes. I think it's ok to remake a movie if 1) not a lot of people have heard of it or if 2) a re-imagining is unique enough to put a neat spin on it. (Like Taming of the Shrew=10 Things I Hate About You).

I'd love to see a Tim Burton version of my favorite movie, "The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao" (George Pal/Tony Randall). Mostly because the original has some neat 1960s stop-motion but it looks ridiculous by today's standards. I think Burton would be a good choice because he would remake the movie with updated stop-motion effects (instead of using the modern crutch of CGI effects). Plus I think Johnny Depp or Kevin Spacey would make an AWESOME Dr. Lao. (I mean one man playing 7 fantasy characters including Merlin, Pan, Medusa, and the Abominable Snowman--how great would that be???)

Also, even though I liked the remake to Bedazzled, I ALSO loved the original (Peter Cook and Dudley Moore). So there isn't really a rule saying that if you like one you have to dismiss or hate the other. After all, one would hope the intention of the director is to pay homage to the original in some fashion (like how Time Machine's director is a direct descendant of H.G. Wells--the author of the original story).
Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #64
ClintonHammond

"Worst remakes ever:"
Don't forget that horrible remake of The Amityville Horror....

"Sleepy Hollow"
That movie sucked hard, out-loud, from start to finish.....
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #65
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
"Worst remakes ever:"
Don't forget that horrible remake of The Amityville Horror....
Never saw the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
"Sleepy Hollow"
That movie sucked hard, out-loud, from start to finish.....
"Bully" for you.

Yet another progressive and insightful post from CH. [golf clap]

So, no bones about the others on the list? Any reason why Amityville was a bad remake?

Do you agree that one of the stupidest things about the Time Machine and Planet of the Apes remakes is the fact that they changed the people of the future into intelligent creatures therefore negating the respective premises of the original stories? (Honestly if the people are smart, then they could have avoided being taken over by a race of Apes or Morlocks in the first place... duh.)
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #66
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezobiwan
Never saw the original.

"Bully" for you.

Yet another progressive and insightful post from CH. [golf clap]

So, no bones about the others on the list? Any reason why Amityville was a bad remake?

Do you agree that one of the stupidest things about the Time Machine and Planet of the Apes remakes is the fact that they changed the people of the future into intelligent creatures therefore negating the respective premises of the original stories? (Honestly if the people are smart, then they could have avoided being taken over by a race of Apes or Morlocks in the first place... duh.)

It's frustrating too because Wells' great-grandson or whatever directed the film and he claimed to want to maintain accuracy to the book.

Well... I've only seen some of the remake... but as far as I can tell after having just read the book, the original is infinitely more inline with the novel than the remake.

And the Apes remake... a travesty in every way. Utterly unfortunate.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #67
Katarn07
IndyFan

Quote:
Best remakes:

I would like to know how ResidentAlien feels about that one. I mean, it was a whole new take on the original. It wasn't trying to be a horror yet still retained much of the original elements. I for one love it!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #68
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Quote:
I hate Russel Crowe and remakes and I still liked it.

Worst remakes ever:
Psycho (Anne Heche)
Planet of the Apes (Marky Mark and the Junky Bunch)
Time Machine (Guy Pierce)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton)
Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan)
Freaky Friday (Lindsay Lohan one sucked, the Shelley Long one was ok)

I agree with you on the Psycho remake. That may quite possibly be the WORST movie in the history of film. And I absolutely HATE the argument that people make that it is "the same as the first one, so you must hate the first one too." No I don't hate the first one too! The first one has good acting and is suspenseful, an eerie setting, and a "mother" that doesn't look like someone from the 1980's! The remake is complete crap. None of the actors really seem to care about the film at all. And the little things that the director adds to the film are far more distracting (the cloud in the shower scene, a sheep when Arbogast is killed, wtf was up with that?).

I actually liked The Parent Trap as a kid, and I thought that the Freaky Friday remake was fun to watch. I'm not a fan of Lindsay Lohan, but it was enjoyable to watch in my opinion.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasn't a great movie, but I don't really consider it as a remake exactly because it is based on a book, and the Johnny Depp one did follow the book a bit more closely. I still don't view it as a great movie or even that enjoyable, but I'm not sure I would classify it as a "remake."*

*Yes, Psycho is also based on a book, but the remake literally was a shot for shot remake of the original.

Those are the only ones on your list I have seen.

Quote:
Best remakes:
Oceans 11 (George Clooney)
Bedazzled (Brendan Fraser)
Scrooged (Bill Murray)
Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caveziel)
Little Women (Winona Ryder)
The Three Musketeers (Disney Kiefer Sutherland version)
Sleepy Hollow (Johnny D)

Ocean's Eleven is a great film, and a good example of remakes actually working. Scrooged is more of a modern retelling, so I guess technically it would count as a remake, but again, it's based on a story, so not entirely sure about how I feel about that. Count of Monte Cristo is again book-based, and I felt that it really wasn't a great film. The book is far better (although far less happy). The Mummy is another good example of remakes working. Those are the only ones on your list I've seen, but I would add Body Heat, A Perfect Murder, The Maltese Falcon (although again, book-based, hard to qualify it as an actual remake), and The Man Who Knew Too Much as well.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #69
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarn07
I would like to know how ResidentAlien feels about that one. I mean, it was a whole new take on the original. It wasn't trying to be a horror yet still retained much of the original elements. I for one love it!

I disliked it... you're right, it's nothing really like the original. It's just a lame Hollywood Brendan Fraiser vehicle. That said... it's good brainless late-night fair. Kinda thing that I'd be likely to put on when I'm too tired for something meaningful.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #70
Katarn07
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
That said... it's good brainless late-night fair.

And that's all it's meant to be.... so I'd say it did its purpose for you!

As for the original Yuma, it's gotta be a whole lot different. What's with all these R-rated westerns anyways? I didn't feel the f-word was really necessary in this film, and a lot of the bloodier scenes could have been edited for a PG-13 rating. Is it because all of those old school westerns were so toned down due to censorship back in the day that they make these things so gritty? Just curious....

And all you Russel Crowe haters out there, I'm gonna have to reiterate how great he was in this. He's menacing from the get-go, and he's a more complex character than Bale's was.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #71
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I'm not a big fan of Russell Crowe, but I do like some of his work (L.A. Confidential being my favorite).
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #72
Vendetta08
IndyFan

Have not seen a western in the longest. They're a rare breed. I'll catch this one on DVD as I didn't get to see it in theaters.
Vendetta08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM   #73
otto rahn
IndyFan

On remakes. The remake of "The Haunting" manged to take the good, understated, horror elements of the original and overdo them to hell and gone, but I still generally enjoyed it.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote