TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
AnthropologyFSU
IndyFan

10,000 Bc

Really cool looking movie... Saw the trailer before I Am Legend...

Official Plot Synopsis: It was a time when man and beast were untamed and the mighty mammoth roamed the earth. A time when ideas and beliefs were born that forever shaped mankind. 10,000 B.C. follows a young hunter (Steven Strait) on his quest to lead an army across a vast desert, battling saber tooth tigers and prehistoric predators as he unearths a lost civilization and attempts to rescue the woman he loves (Camilla Belle) from an evil warlord determined to possess her.

Here's a link to a trailer on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-r6gx_cIE8

Last edited by AnthropologyFSU : 12-16-2007 at 12:12 AM. Reason: forgot something
AnthropologyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
kongisking
IndyFan

Agree. Despite all the sh!t he gets, I'm a fan of Roland Emmerich's flicks, especially Day after Tomorrow and Stargate. This looks like a really promising popcorn flick worthy of Spielberg, and damn do those mammoths and tigers look cool! Can't wait...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
AnthropologyFSU
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Agree. Despite all the sh!t he gets, I'm a fan of Roland Emmerich's flicks, especially Day after Tomorrow and Stargate. This looks like a really promising popcorn flick worthy of Spielberg, and damn do those mammoths and tigers look cool! Can't wait...

Ya, the mammoths look awesome..
AnthropologyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthropologyFSU
Ya, the mammoths look awesome..

Yeah, but that's about it. The rest looks horrible.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
monkey

Sounds like a great movie!

I had not heard of this movie until this thread.

10,000 B.C...........Lost Civilization.....

Just up my alley.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
herr gruber

Bet it wont be as good as 'Quest For Fire'.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
monkey

Lightbulb

It would be hard to top "Quest for Fire".

That is one of the best films ever. And from an anthropological, historical perspective, was a very accurate representation of what we know about stone age man.

But I think these films would differ in that the time frame would be quite different. I think that "Quest" was supposed to take place a lot further back in time than 10,000 years B.C..
Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
It would be hard to top "Quest for Fire".

That is one of the best films ever. And from an anthropological, historical perspective, was a very accurate representation of what we know about stone age man.

But I think these films would differ in that the time frame would be quite different. I think that "Quest" was supposed to take place a lot further back in time than 10,000 years B.C..

Yes, Quest For Fire was monosyllabic. They did a pretty good job with the make up,too. Pretty difficult to keep the audiences attention without dialogue for two hours but they succeeded.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
monkey

Yes, I had forgotten that the movie had NO dialog at all.

That was a great challenge for the actors no doubt.

Really a classic.

Makes me want to watch it right now.

Too bad I don't have the DVD.

And I've got to say that one of my all time favorite scenes in that movie......indeed in any move ever.....is that early scene in Quest, where one of our stone age heroes rushes down to the river, commences to mating with his cave girl, .........and then, while in a rather 'compromising' position, ...the hostile tribe attacks.

It is both comical, and metaphorical, as our cave hero struggles with his differing emotions.

He knows he's got to run away.........but geez.........right now?

And then there's the scene near the end where he falls out of the tree and busts his head open.

Gosh I wish I could watch that movie right now!

Great film.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Indy
IndyFan

this looks great
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
Michael24
IndyFan

I'm sure people with ***** about the characters speaking simple English at that point in history, but the visuals sure are stunning. My jaw dropped the first time I saw those mammoths.

Stargate and The Day After Tomorrow are the only Emmerich movies I've really liked, so I'm hoping this one is just as good.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24
I'm sure people with ***** about the characters speaking simple English at that point in history, but the visuals sure are stunning. My jaw dropped the first time I saw those mammoths.

Stargate and The Day After Tomorrow are the only Emmerich movies I've really liked, so I'm hoping this one is just as good.

Well since you've set your standards so low, I doubt this one will disappoint.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 AM   #13
Deckard
IndyFan

Looks visualy an awful lot like 300. I never actualy saw 300, Im just judging by there trailers.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #14
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
Well since you've set your standards so low, I doubt this one will disappoint.

Well, I'll kinda give you The Day After Tomorrow. At the end of the day, it is a rather ridiculous film and basically not much more than an Al Gore commercial, but it's still a fun ride with some great special effects, and I can usually watch just about anything with Dennis Quaid in the lead. But Stargate rocks, and I find Emmerich has still yet to top it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Katarn07
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
Yeah, but that's about it. The rest looks horrible.

Agreed. And the mammoths really don't look that awesome. Basically after Jurassic Park, I don't think digitally created creatures are enough to wow audiences. A movie needs more substance than that alone. Look at the Star Wars prequels for an example of that....

As for Emmerich, I remember liking Stargate as a kid (I loved all things ancient Egypt) but haven't seen it ages. I had to be 7 or less when that came out so my memory of it all is hazy. I did get the action figures though! ID4 was awesome when I was in 4th grade, then I grew up and saw that it really isn't that great. I think it's still a great movie worth watching if you're younger than 15 but I can find better ways of wasting 2 hours nowadays.
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Well, I'll kinda give you The Day After Tomorrow. At the end of the day, it is a rather ridiculous film and basically not much more than an Al Gore commercial, but it's still a fun ride with some great special effects, and I can usually watch just about anything with Dennis Quaid in the lead. But Stargate rocks, and I find Emmerich has still yet to top it.

Stargate. One of the 10 worst films I've ever seen. I often cite that as the core example of Hollywood masturbation.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Michael24
IndyFan

Oh, come on. How is it even close to being one of the worst films ever made? In a world with films like Corky Romano, Son of the Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Transformers, and Speed 2 you're really gonna lump Stargate into such a list? I mean, if you don't like it you don't like it, but come on.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Oh, come on. How is it even close to being one of the worst films ever made? In a world with films like Corky Romano, Son of the Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Transformers, and Speed 2 you're really gonna lump Stargate into such a list? I mean, if you don't like it you don't like it, but come on.

They're all standard, awful films, sure.

But they don't set the bar low with their own pompous incoherence. Stargate is a self-assured, incomprehensible mess.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:

Dumb and Dumber is great! The rest I can do without, but We watch Dumb and Dumber every winter before one of our annual ski trips!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Stargate. One of the 10 worst films I've ever seen. I often cite that as the core example of Hollywood masturbation.

WHA????????????? HOW DARE YOU!!! Stargate is an ass-kicker of a movie! A slaum-dunk of action, effects, intruiguing story, cool premise, nice characters and great one-liners, I can go on for days! I L-O-V-E Stargate...How dare you perform such blasphemous dislike!

Just jokin' there, Alien. But still...calling Stargate the cinematic equivalent of masturbation?!?!? I don't know whether to laugh like made or somberly shake my head with sadness...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
They're all standard, awful films, sure.

But they don't set the bar low with their own pompous incoherence. Stargate is a self-assured, incomprehensible mess.

"Incomprehensible?" Huh!? As much as I enjoy the film, I admit it's certainly nothing deep and is pretty straight-forward, so... "incomprehensible?" That doesn't even make sense.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
ResidentAlien

Quote:
"Incomprehensible?" Huh!? As much as I enjoy the film, I admit it's certainly nothing deep and is pretty straight-forward, so... "incomprehensible?" That doesn't even make sense.

Haha, so then the film was well-made? The story wasn't full of plotholes? The end wasn't an empty orgasm of explosions? Ugh, awful.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #23
Katarn07
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Dumb and Dumber is great! The rest I can do without, but We watch Dumb and Dumber every winter before one of our annual ski trips!

Quoted for truth
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
Looks visualy an awful lot like 300. I never actualy saw 300, Im just judging by there trailers.
I didn't expect to like 300 until I saw it. Then I fell in love with it.
I have already fallen in love with 10000 BC. Prehistoric beast vs. Egyptian and Prehistoric Tribes? This is gonna be f***in awesome!
Here's the trailer:
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #25
kongisking
IndyFan

Thanks, Food! Awesome trailer! I'm also psyched about this flick. As I said before, I have a blast with Emmerich's blockbusters, and this looks to be the best one!