John Williams Scores Presidential Inauguration

Indy's brother

Inauguration Day itself will see festivities begin on the west front of Capitol Hill, where Mr Obama will be sworn in before delivering his inauguration address.

For the first time, the length of the National Mall in front will be open to those wishing to attend.
Throughout the day there is a carefully selected programme of music, including the United States Marine Band, Aretha Franklin and John Williams, the composer best known for his film sountracks including Star Wars, Superman and Indiana Jones, who has written a piece for violin, cello, piano and clarinet.

Source

According to the Associated Press, this is piece of music will be heard after Biden is sworn in, and before Obama takes the Oath of Office. The itinerary can be found here.
_ Biden will be sworn into office by Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.
_ Musical selection of John Williams, composer/arranger with Itzhak Perlman, (violin), Yo-Yo Ma (cello), Gabriela Montero (piano) and Anthony McGill (clarinet).
_ Obama will take the Oath of Office, using President Lincoln's Inaugural Bible, administered by Chief Justice John Roberts. Scheduled around noon.

Last edited:

Zorg

Should be interesting. Williams collaborated with Perlman on the Schindler's List, and that was just beautiful stuff.

Just got to decide whether to watch the inauguration on BBC or the two (!) Finnish channels that are broadcasting it live. I'm telling you... no other US inauguration has got this kind of coverage over here before.

Dewy9

If I were Obama, I'd make this my theme song. Forget "Hail to the Chief", I'm sure this will be way cooler.

Forbidden Eye

While I'm no fan of Obama or any of his administration(to put it in the most bluntly polite way possible) I'm overjoyed for Williams. He is just remarkably legendary. His scores for NBC Nightly News, the Olympics and now the presidential inauguration show how he has gone beyond film. I can't think of any person of the past century or so more influential to music than he is.

I know this presidential race was historical, but one must wonder how is this Williams' first Presidential Inauguration?

Last edited:

The Man

Relive, guys, relive...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzSmS5JRYdw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzSmS5JRYdw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>​

Stoo

Does anyone else find the main melody striking similar to the chorus of "Lord of the Dance"? It's the same.
I didn't see Williams anywhere but it was great to hear his piece minutes before "Hail to the Chief".(y)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I thought it was quite beautiful.

At first I was thinking of Simple Gifts from Aaron Copland. And I had no idea that Simple Gifts is a Shaker Hymn.

I loved the expression on Yo-Yo Ma's face. :) All four seemed to glow when they were finished.

Saber79

Very beautiful piece of music. Haunting in some spots...but still very beautiful. There is just something incredible about listening to music written by one of the world's greatest composers and performed by some of the world's most elite musicians.

Stoo

torao said:
And I had no idea that Simple Gifts is a Shaker Hymn.
I knew it! From your link:

"(It should also be noted that the tune traditionally paired with these lyrics (see below) is also used in many hymnals for the song "Lord of the Dance".)"

deckard24

Stoo said:
I knew it! From your link:

"(It should also be noted that the tune traditionally paired with these lyrics (see below) is also used in many hymnals for the song "Lord of the Dance".)"
Good observation, I noticed that too right away! At first I was trying to place it because it had such a patriotic spin to it, but then it dawned on me where I knew it from.