Discuss Chapter 10 - Family Squabble (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

Goonie

It was inevitable that we were going to get some sort of vehicular chase in the movie. I'm not going to say that it was a bad scene, I just think it could've been executed much better. It could have used less Mutt getting hit in the nether region by CGI cactus, but more Jungle Cutter. A Fargo-style death scene with the Jungle Cutter's woodchipper front-end would have been cool.

TarzanBoyWTF.jpg

"Jungle life
I'm far away from nowhere
On my own like Tarzan Boy

Hide and seek
I play along while rushing cross the forest
Monkey business on a sunny afternoon"

I wonder if this is how Shia will take on Megatron this summer?

The Magic Rat

caats said:
"they weren't you honey". BEST LINE MOMENT SINCE RAIDERS.

My girlfriend said, "Awww" at that moment in the theater. She thought it was one of the best lines, too :p

lovey-dovey stuff. :sick:

I loved immediately after that how she's sort of swooning and fantasizing during a dangerous situation.

Women. So emotional. ;)

Niteshade007

caats said:
"they weren't you honey". BEST LINE MOMENT SINCE RAIDERS.

I agree, it was a high point of the film for me. Although, I must admit, I did say it before he did. But me seeing it coming didn't ruin how special it was for me to hear Indy say it.

Dr.Jonesy

I like this chapter. There are a few things I can't stand though:gun:

-Knife gag
-Marion's infectious smiling
-Sword fight on jeeps is OK. Seems a bit over the top.
-Indy is under-used a bit. I mean, Mutt does more than him.
-The CGI is obvious at times.
-Mac's reaction to getting punched after "Hi, Mac!" was a bit too cartoony.

Other than that, the chase is gold.(y)

Love Indy's jump to the other jeep, love everything else.

Indy's brother

Anyone else notice Dovchenko being thrown out of the back of the truck? Yet he inexplicably attempts to climb into the cab (from the back of the truck) once everyone starts piling into the duck! :confused:

oki9Sedo

Indy's brother said:
Anyone else notice Dovchenko being thrown out of the back of the truck? Yet he inexplicably attempts to climb into the cab (from the back of the truck) once everyone starts piling into the duck! :confused:

No, when was this?

Zoetrope

Indy's brother said:
When Indy gains control of the truck, Dovchenko falls out. Maybe it's supposed to be the driver, but it seemed to be Dovchenko.

You need to watch that bit again. It`s the driver. Clearly. Dovchenko lies unconscious in the back of the truck.

nitzsche

It was the driver.

However, when Indy and Mutt kick Dovchenko unconscious, he collapses with his head toward the back of the truck. Later, when he comes around and tries to stop everyone from leaving the truck, he is facing the other way.

Also, when Indy jumps from the truck into the duck, we never actually see him throw those soldiers out. In an instant, he is driving and Mutt jumps in followed by Marion.

WeAreGoingToDie

All Indy movies have their cartoony moments. Raiders had the basket scene, Doom had the mine carts and inflatable raft, Crusade had... many moments. I liked the "Hi Mac!" scene as well. (y)

Wilhelm

Spielberg is like a silent film director so these scenes reminds me the action sequences of Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd (Specially when they go to the river).

Cagefighterkip

Wilhelm said:
Spielberg is like a silent film director so these scenes reminds me the action sequences of Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd (Specially when they go to the river).

exactly what i was thinking --
scenes in each of the indy movies emulate older movies like that, be it like keaton/lloyd w/the slapsticky moments, Treasure of Sierre Madre among other 30s serials in the action moments, and the temples and boody traps, the nazis in the chaplin kind of flicks (very sillY), aliens/UFO/psychics/commies in 50 B-Movies, TOD reminded me of those horror kind of action movies (i kept thinking of the horror elements mixed with action elements in CREATURE from the BLACK LAGOON), so yeah... ive gone off on a tangent but each indy emulates a kind of old school B/Serial Movie w/elemtns of other kind of movies in them.

Wilhelm

It's like a compendium of all kind of genres. TOD begins with a musical number, LC begins with the iconography of a western and KOTCS like an Elvis / American Graffiitty movie.

Cagefighterkip

Wilhelm said:
It's like a compendium of all kind of genres. TOD begins with a musical number, LC begins with the iconography of a western and KOTCS like an Elvis / American Graffiitty movie.

that is (part of) what makes all the indy films so special imo

Zorg

This chapter begins very well with the argument between Indy and Marion. That's classic stuff, Ford and Allen are very good in it.. Unfortunately this is one of the few moments when the writing has the same snap the previous films had. It's kinda telling it takes Marion to get back to that. Or was some of this perhaps even improvised on-set? I wouldn't be surprised if it was, because this scene stands out.

The chase scene that follows is mostly OK, but the one thing that bothers me is that the score keeps teasing us with a few beats of "Raider's March" thrown in here and there. Musically this isn't the strongest bit of the film. The brief moments when the camera zooms in on Spalko and the skull and the music changes style completely... I don't like that, it's not fitting. It breaks the flow of the scene, and this is an fast-paced action scene.

Visually, to me, this scene looks better on the TV screen as it did in theaters. The CGI'd jungle (they added trees and vegetation digitally) look a bit distracting at times.

Benraianajones

I like the jungle chase, I don't really understand complaints of CGI bushes looking false etc really though, since, well, the imposed background in TOD a during the dingy scene was hardly real looking, and neither was the shot where the plane crashes and the entire background moves slightly across a frame.

As for the fighting on the trucks, I did like that, but I think John Williams musical score could possibly be what ruins it for people. The music is very cheery and "Peter Pan Adventure", where it should have been a bit more serious sounding.

One of my fave scenes in the jungle is actually when the Jones' in the jeep approach Spalko, and her themetune comes on more tense than normal, as we get a zoom in to her worried and determined face, as she clasps the skull against her chest. I also kinda like when Irina gets flipped over the car and grabs the turret gun, crazy, but amusing to see her in a situation like that.

Udvarnoky

Benraianajones said:
I like the jungle chase, I don't really understand complaints of CGI bushes looking false etc really though, since, well, the imposed background in TOD a during the dingy scene was hardly real looking, and neither was the shot where the plane crashes and the entire background moves slightly across a frame.

From someone who doesn't give much of a care about the CGI in the movie, I have to say I don't see the similarity in your example. The shot from Temple that you describe looks pretty shoddy by today's standards, and I'm sure it wasn't considered immaculate even then, but it nonetheless gives the impression of being the best possible execution of the best possible tech available at the time. The CGI foliage during the Spalko/Mutt swordfight is pretty glaring to me, and it's really not used for anything other than making the sequence look "cooler." What is a better reason to employ a special effect - an airplane crashing into a mountain, or shrubbery hitting Shia LaBeouf in the gnads? When the CGI shrubs are being run over and the leaves hit the camera while Mutt and Spalko are dueling, that's the kind of thing that wouldn't have been done in Temple of Doom - not because the technology wasn't possible, but because something that throwaway wouldn't have been considered worthwhile for a special effect, which was at the time a still expensive enough luxury that they had to reserve it for what actually needed it. In Indy4 they could do whatever random idea they had with the help of a computer. And they did.

Benraianajones

The the general point being, glaring or not, the effects don't especially bother me, in TOD or KOTCS, even if they don't look true to life exactly.

Last edited: