Discuss Chapter 11 - Big Damn Ants (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

Zorg

The Man said:
Watch this TV Spot and imagine the scene as the editing at 00:24 suggests...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jT2EeiFqD-8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jT2EeiFqD-8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Ford could have aced a moment like that.

Yeah, that scene could've been so much better if they just cut it shorter. Just like Mutt's Tarzan scene would've been better.

The "three times it drops" thing would've been even funnier if BEFORE that they would've already taken a long plunge from the cliff, straight to the river. The rubber tree was just unnecessary, done just because it could be done. Unnecessary scene, unnecessary CGI effect. The film needed more sense of danger, and one single edit could've provided a lot of it.

oki9Sedo

I really enjoyed this scene.

I'm a big fan of movie fight scenes, and I think this is a really great one.

Just like the old stuff while fresh and new as well.

James

There's a lot of great shots in this chapter. I'm particularly fond of Indy's initial swerve around the cliffside, Indy watching as Dovchenko is dragged away, and the shot of the ants spreading across the terrain- just before Oxley unveils the skull. The latter reminds me of something out of Phase IV, an 'ants run amok' movie from the 70s which also featured some interesting visuals.

There was a deleted scene with Marion's vehicle getting stuck in the jungle, which explained why she disappeared for much of this chapter. Many people criticized this plot hole, yet it's no different than the decision to omit the periscope scene in ROTLA. I'm sure leaving out the rules of the Ark or the key to the Black Sleep would've driven 2008 audiences crazy as well. ("We need a director's cut on dvd!") :rolleyes:

Udvarnoky said:
To be fair, I think the rubber tree gag is pretty in-line with the Indiana Jones vibe, but I think it was just one goofy cartoon moment too many for people who felt the movie had no real tension.

I also thought the rubber tree felt true to the spirit, and was something that might've been included in TOD or LC. I don't agree that the above edit would have played any better, though. People that found the gag difficult to accept would've also complained about Indy and Co. surviving such a dramatic freefall. At least in the case of the tree and waterfall, there was something there to buffer the fall.

However, I agree with your point about it probably being 'one too many'. This is not to say the tree should've been excised, since I actually think it works better than the waterfalls. But a lot of people did latch on to a handful of lighter moments, and allowed them to ruin their enjoyment of the entire film. (The biggest offender obviously being Mutt's Tarzan swing.)

Last edited:

nitzsche

Rubber tree was pure Indiana Jones. I liked the line in the script where Mac comments on Mutt using his sword like Errol Flynn. I think the discussion should be more Robin Hood than Tarzan anyway.

arkfinder

One of the best sceens in all 4 Indy films. It gives you creeps like the spiders in Raiders and all the other creepy-crawly bugs. It's like a train wreck you don't want to look but ya have to. :whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm pretty well on-record as thinking of the ants as a successful sequence, but here's an opinion worth throwing into the pot, possibly:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n0LeXwOw0x0#t=84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sharkey

Attila the Professor said:
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n0LeXwOw0x0#t=84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Note to Shia: this is how you slam Crystal Skull.