Your thoughts on an "R" Indy 5

Indy's brother

How would you feel about a new installment of the Indiana Jones installment which didn't avoid the R rating? If Raiders was made today, it may well have got it for violence. The mpaa seems to be a different beast since then. As it is, TOD was partially responsible for the PG-13 rating. There's been a few sex topics about Indy already, so let's try to keep clear of that here. Besides, I don't think anyone wants to see our current Indy get his freak on. I like horror films, but even I have limits.

So what do you think? Anywhere from "barely R" to the "Hard R" for violence that Rambo got for violence this last year.

Morning Bell

I don't think Indy should ever be more than PG-13. One thing I like about the franchise, and some fans may hate me for this, is the fact that it appeals to EVERYONE. Families can enjoy them and they're smart enough for adults and people with different tastes. I like the idea that Indy is known for being something that anyone can enjoy and by making an R-rated film they would severely cut down on the number of people who could see the film, especially teenagers and young children.

I personally think the series is great just the way it is. An R rating would put it too far over the top.

caats

agreed. R rating would be really stupid. it would ruin some of the heart of Indy if it's got gory violence. and it'd have to be really gory violence to get an R nowadays. or boobs.

Lance Quazar

While KOTCS was about as scary and intense as a light puff pastry, I wouldn't want to seen an "R" rated version either. PG-13 with level of violence/gore and blood akin to the first two films is fine, not the light tone of the 3rd or ridiculously, cartoonishly light tone of the 4th.

A "R" rated Indy would never, ever, ever happen, BTW.

Indy's Fist

The Indy movies are made for the whole family an R rating would not let that happen. Besides an R rating would take away from the type of storytelling the filmmakers like.

Nurhachi1991

Yeah I guess PG-13 is the highest Indy should stay.

I just like the gritter stlye's of the classic three than KOTCS

Dewy9

The only question I have is "why"? What can be accomplished with an R that Indy couldn't do with a PG-13. It's not like this is a horror movie, it's an action adventure film.

Stoo

It was rated "R" before it was released. Flames were added in front of Belloq to obscure his exploding head a bit and that was sufficient enough to lower the rating to PG.

DocWhiskey

Why does Indy need an R rating? It's not like he's The Punisher. He's a Professor that goes on adventures. Raiders had an exploding head and melting faces, ToD had heart ripping and a Thugee getting practically steam rolled, LC had decapitation, and KOTCS had vine swinging sidekicks. The violence was represented well and served it's purpose. Unless we want Indy taking on tons of drug use and swearing. Which I know I don't want.

I agree with everyone. I don't see the point of it. The stories can be told without pushing the violence to disgustingly gory levels, and the movies are incredibly profitable because they don't go overboard with blood and gore. I have no interest in R-rated Indy, and I wouldn't go see it if it was made. Which, by the way, as several others have mentioned, it won't be.

Agent Crab

Most PG-13 movies can pretty much get away with alot of stuff these days.

Considering I think PG-13 came out in the mid 80's if I stand correct.

Gear

Another reason it wouldn't work is because the Indiana Jones adventures were meant to mirror adventure serials of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s.

I mean, look at the dialog during the Portuguese Coast chapter of Last Crusade:

"Small world Dr. Jones.

Too small for two of us."

Get where I'm going?

an "R" rated Indy film would just be a ridiculous attempt to 're-imagine' the films... Kinda like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull except done like Die Hard 2.

vf wing

Never happen. But I've always found it ironic that the PG films are leaps and bounds more graphic than their PG-13 descendants.

Zorg

I don't think we need an R-rated Indy film, but at times I'd like them to push the boundaries of PG-13. That's what was lacking in KOTCS, I would've loved to see Indy in a proper fight scene, and we didn't quite get that.